Profile for Dannystaples > Reviews

Content by Dannystaples

Dannystaples

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
CSL - HDMI Switch 3D Ready / Full HD 1080p - flexible 3 port switch | 3 x IN / 1 x OUT | Dolby True HD / intelligent switch- automatic and manual switch
Offered by CSL-Computer

5.0 out of 5 stars Long overdue., 25 May 2015
Finally! I got a new TV a year or two ago now (man how time flies!) but it only has two HDMI slots. Unfortunately I have need of a Sky Box, two consoles and my laptop to plug into it on a regular basis.

Taking each HDMI in and out will eventually wear out the TV and that is clearly not good. This turns your 1 HDMI into three.

It doesn't need mains power it just works as plug and play.

When running it will automatically switch to whatever device powers on at any given moment. So if you turn on your PS3 for example it will auto connect to the PS3. If you then turn on your PS4 which is also connected it will automatically switch to the PS4. To get back to the PS3 you then have to click the button on top and cycle through.

All in all a great device.

Ni No Kuni - Wrath of the White Witch (PS3)
Ni No Kuni - Wrath of the White Witch (PS3)
Offered by Gameseek

2.0 out of 5 stars I just can't do it!, 17 April 2015
I bought this game on the recent PSN sale because I am playing through much of the back catalogue of exclusive games for PS3 having never own one up until last year.

I've always loved RPGs that is why I wanted to buy this.

The game is very nice to look at. The cartoon/anime style is very awesome.

The story starts out pretty well you are a kid in some village. Then tragedy strikes and you mum dies.........man that was dark! Then tragedy really strikes when the toy your mum gives you comes alive and starts being the most annoying piece of crap ever placed into a video game! Seriously does that guy never stop talking tosh?! It was kind of funny at first but now it is just anger inducing.

You get yourself a wand and a spell book and transport to another world. The idea being that your mum has a soulmate in the other world who you can use to try to bring your mum back to life. The problem is you then proceed down one of the most linear, overly structured, hand holding, boring paths I have ever come across in a game. Seriously this game seems to think the idea of changing cloths needs to be explained in massive detail.

You go to a city called Ding Dong Dell. Which is populated with cat people. You then find out that you need to fix people's hearts but giving good feelings to them taken from someone with excess good feelings. Seriously if I had known it was this childish I wouldn't have bought it.

You go save the cat king of Ding Dong Dell who is trapped in Ding Dong Well and frankly my resolve just broke. I can't take it any more. I'm not even that far into the game and I can't do it. It is at the point where if someone walked in on my playing it I would actually be embarrassed and turn it off.

The combat in this game is also an issue for me. It is a good idea but the problem is it seems to try to blend real time combat with turn-based attacks. Which just doesn't work. Combat needs to be either all real time or all turn-based. It feels really wooden and clunky. In the end it normally descends into nothing more than standing wailing on enemies and occasionally using defence. So in which case why not use a traditional Final Fantasy style combat system instead because that is basically all it is anyway but now you have the added aggravation of not being able to attack if you aren't close to enemies.

How this game has got some of the reviews it has is staggering to me. Like seriously people really need to go play some real RPGs and quickly! Anyone looking for a real RPG you should go play through Final Fantasy I - X. Any of them will do and every one is better than this.

Note to self do more research on what games are like before buying them.

Gran Turismo 5 (PS3)
Gran Turismo 5 (PS3)
Offered by crazyukdropship

2.0 out of 5 stars The PS3 controller has some of the worst triggers ever placed onto a controller, 11 April 2015
This review is from: Gran Turismo 5 (PS3) (Video Game)
This game was let down in one major area. The controller.

The PS3 controller has some of the worst triggers ever placed onto a controller. Using them to play this game is agony. Your fingers feel like they are slipping off of them all the time.

Alternatives to using the triggers include the X button.......yeah I know like on the PS1 and 2......and the analogue stick. I mean COME ON! That is just an utter shambles!

The problem is when you are driving powerful cars you need to have good throttle control. If you weld your foot into the floor in a racing car your tires will just spin and you won't go anywhere. This means using X is never going to work. So really the only method you have is to use the analogue stick or get a racing wheel which cost a LOT of money.

Nope overall I couldn't stand the controls any more and stopped playing. It is a great series hamstrung by its own subpar hardware. Lets hope Gran Turismo 7 makes good use of the much better Dual Shock 4.

Beyond: Two Souls (PS3)
Beyond: Two Souls (PS3)
Offered by b68solutions

5.0 out of 5 stars So great but might turn off people who don't like Quick Time Events, 11 April 2015
Really loved this game.

Plays a lot like a movie. But as a change I really enjoyed it. What I liked more about the game was that it wasn't just some typical shooty shooty murder simulator like some games are.

It is more about becoming absorbed in the character's worlds and enjoying the perspective.

Also really liked how each chapter in the game was set in a different period of Jodie's life. It didn't just follow a linear path it chose specific periods of time to show you.

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (PS3)
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (PS3)

1.0 out of 5 stars One big murder simulator, 11 April 2015
The first thing you do in this game. THE FIRST THING! Is pick up a handgun and start slaughtering pirates. I mean what the hell? I thought this game was about finding treasure?

The platforming parts of this game are kind of boring. Just linear ledges placed with stupid convenience through mundane areas. Then right back to slaughtering people again.

The game is pretty. Even for a game this old it looks great. The cut scenes are very nice. There are too many of them though. They remove control from you too often. I don't want to watch a movie I want to play a game.

The series sounds great on paper but when the kill count by the end of the game is ACTUALLY 2000+ people killed then I don't know how anyone can say that isn't a problem. Too much shooting and too much killing. I'm confident I killed less people in GTA V!

Guardians of the Galaxy [Blu-ray]
Guardians of the Galaxy [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Chris Pratt

5.0 out of 5 stars SO GREAT!, 11 April 2015
How can you not love this movie? The music is amazing and it is just awesome in general.

X-Men: Days of Future Past [Blu-ray + UV Copy]
X-Men: Days of Future Past [Blu-ray + UV Copy]
Dvd ~ James McAvoy

2.0 out of 5 stars Not up to the usual standard, 11 April 2015
Sooo weird! Xavier is dead. End of story. When you make such a mistake in your movie that you have to make up some random crap to keep a character alive like they did here, it is time to end it and move on.

The movie was fine overall but having different actors for the younger characters felt very weird to me at first. I did get used to it but even so I still felt it was lacking. I don't think Jennifer Laurence is right for Mystique.

Also didn't explain some stuff like why the hell does Ellen Page's character now have the power to push people through time? Do you not think that would be a good thing to explain to us? She used to be able to run through walls not time.

EXERCISE BAR / DOOR BAR, PULL UPS, CHIN UPS, SIT UP, UPPER BODY TRAINER
EXERCISE BAR / DOOR BAR, PULL UPS, CHIN UPS, SIT UP, UPPER BODY TRAINER
Offered by Pure Source Nutrition

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, materials don't fill you with much confidence though, 29 Mar. 2015
It is fine. It hasn't ripped the door frame off yet and I live in an ex-council house so it seems to be okay.

Handles could be a bit better though. The spongy handles will probably tear off after not too much use.

Metal Gear Solid HD - Collection (PS3)
Metal Gear Solid HD - Collection (PS3)
Offered by Turbotrance

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Stealth Trash Story, 29 Mar. 2015
Playing Metal Gear Solid again has made me rethink my stance on the franchise.

The stealth and overall character developments are impressive. Really enjoyable particularly Solid Snake.

But then it ruins it all by adding stupid conspiracy theories into the story and using super powered cliché villains. I mean Vamp? Really? A woman who can't be hit by bullets? Bee Man whatever his name was? Come on!

Also got some of the most RANDOM story elements I've ever heard of {SPOILERS AHEAD}

{SPOILERS}

The game starts off pretty trivially. You are a guy, who is also a bad ass and you have superb stealth elements. Then the story throws out that you are actually a clone of some dude called Big Boss. And the guy you fight in the first PS1 Metal Gear was you brother who is also a clone. But it turns out one of you is the "superior" clone because all of the "best" DNA was added to one clone in vitro after being taken from the other.

So far so okay. A big of genetics isn't a deal breaker.

Then the second game starts and BOOM this dude you half killed in the first game is wearing your brother's arm....................LIKE WTH!?

AND the arm can control the wearers mind.......................................................What in the love of all that is holy were they thinking when they wrote that?

Then they proceed to layer consipiracy theory on top of consipiracy theory. In long drawn out cut-scenes and codec sequences that seem to go on for about six hours each giving you massive amounts of back story.

Third game, you are now back in time playing as Naked Snake, he looks identical to previous Snakes but he will eventually become Big Boss the guy the Solid Snake from Son's of Liberty was cloned from. Trust me it is harder to follow in the game after you've just had to sit through ten hours of I don't know how much back story.

This game has much the same stealth as before except now you are in a jungle setting. There are also some cool camouflage and health aspects to the game such as poison and needing to eat frequently to stop yourself from starving to death. Unfortunately you just lurch from one cliché boss to the next through jungle that is all pretty much the same killing or knocking out enemies that are all dumb as wood.

Metal Gear Solid 3 was supposed to be one of the best and I can see why people would think that but I feel it was only the best because Son's of Liberty was overall a massive let down. Unfortunately I found Metal Gear Solid 3 to be too boring.

I guess I simply didn't take in the silly story when I was younger.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 30, 2015 9:03 PM BST

Hercules GSP39WB Wall Mountable Guitar Hanger
Hercules GSP39WB Wall Mountable Guitar Hanger
Offered by Sound Affects

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice, 29 Mar. 2015
Well after a good year my guitar is still attached to the wall so it must be decent. Just make sure to use the correct screws and make sure they enter the wall beams and aren't just sticking through the plaster boards. Guitars are not exactly light as a feather.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11