Profile for Keemakoolie > Reviews

Content by Keemakoolie

Keemakoolie

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ60EB-K Compact Digital Camera - Black (18.1MP, 30x Optical Zoom, High Sensitivity MOS Sensor) 3 inch LCD (New for 2014)
Offered by Camera Centre UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Beware extremes of temperature and humidity, 22 April 2014
Camera is fine - but mighty complicated. I had a problem with a case for it - it is far too valuable and delicate to use without a case. The 'frequently bought together' case is NOT big enough. I'm awaiting full recompense on that. Lumix's own very expensive (£49.90) case doesn't have a belt loop, so is useless to me. I've ordered a case from Hong Kong, designed for the Coolpix, which is allegedly big enough. Until that arrives I can't make much use of the camera.

OK I got the hard case and it is perfect. Amazon have now fixed the 'frequently bought together' error. I'm now reviewing after nearly 6 months of ownership. It IS an excellent, simple (if you want it that way) camera. The viewfinder is BRILLIANT - absolutely essential in bright light. The plethora of buttons IS a problem - it's too easy to turn on something you don't understand while extracting it from the case.

I have found a PROBLEM that concerns me however. It is rated 0-40 degrees C, and up to 80% humidity. In Switzerland, in temps of no more than 30 degrees I occasionally got a 'card error' message. Eventually worked out I could get round that by changing the card - apparently too hot - possibly because it is adjacent to the battery. Moral - take a spare card (along with a spare battery as other reviewers have found). More worrying is the humidity value. Using it in western Canada in cool damp weather (yes there was slight condensation on the lens tube as it zoomed in and out) I started getting 'turn off and on again'. Sometimes that worked, sometimes no, and it just repeated the message. Changing the battery got it going again then it went 'focus error', and after a few of those the lens failed to retract and that was that.

I sent it back to DK for repair under warranty. They found liquid on the lens and said not warrantable, and charged £114 for repair. Evidently dampness can get in as telephotos extends and retracts. OK that was probably greater than 80% humidity. Just beware.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 6, 2014 7:33 PM BST

Panasonic DMW-PHH13XEK Leather Case for LUMIX TZ Models - Not for TZ60
Panasonic DMW-PHH13XEK Leather Case for LUMIX TZ Models - Not for TZ60
Offered by Desire IT

1.0 out of 5 stars TZ60 does not fit in it!, 10 April 2014
Beware the 'package' that includes TZ60 and this case. The TZ 60 is a long way from fitting in this case.

High Top Propagator
High Top Propagator

3.0 out of 5 stars Assembly is NOT easy, 17 Feb. 2012
This review is from: High Top Propagator
I'd read in reviews elsewhere that it was difficult to remove the coatings from the plastic sides. What I was not prepared for was NO plastic, just cardboard sides. It took a while to realise that it was brown 'paper' covering the plastic - I so nearly threw away this 'packing'. Having badly scratched the first side getting the coating off, I tried soaking the next one in water - then it came off easily! Why don't they mention this in the 'assembly instructions'? Assembly is still not easy - the plastic pegs are either too tight or too loose in the edge pieces - you'll need a pair of pliers (to rotate the channels) and a rubber hammer to knock in the pegs. If the pegs is loose in a channel pinch the channel with the pliers. I failed miserably on 'attach lid' - I assume it just perches on top. This is not worth £100.

Thomson WHP3001BK Wireless Headphones
Thomson WHP3001BK Wireless Headphones
Offered by liGo

5.0 out of 5 stars Review, 24 Oct. 2011
Perfectly adequate earphones for less than half the price of the 'posh' ones. I never knew TV programmes had such sound - TV speakers are rubbish by comparison. Docking in the stand is a little fiddly, but you get used to it.