Profile for Naomi Bowman > Reviews

Content by Naomi Bowman

Naomi Bowman "Bowman562" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Boardwalk Empire - Season 1-3 [DVD] [2013]
Boardwalk Empire - Season 1-3 [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Steve Buscemi
Price: 32.69

5.0 out of 5 stars A most satisfying set., 27 Oct 2013
I don't intend to repeat the praise already heaped on this sumptuous and riveting production, just to say that Seasons 1 - 3 could be regarded as a complete set in some ways and obviously the best place to start. During the course of Season 3, things get more violent, particularly with the arrival of a Sicilian middle-ranking gangster with psychopathic tendencies. However, there's redemption in the final episode, in which love, loyalty and devotion surface, along with a necessary "cleaning". Needless to say, I'll staying with it.

The Story of the Jews [DVD]
The Story of the Jews [DVD]
Dvd ~ Simon Schama
Price: 7.25

5.0 out of 5 stars with just three out of five episodes seen . . . ., 26 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Story of the Jews [DVD] (DVD)
and having been bored by the first, I now rate Simon Schama's "The Story of the Jews" as one of the most astounding and moving documentaries I've ever seen. As for it's significance, I'd place it up there with "The Nazis, a Warning from History", my gold standard. Schama has been criticised in the past for putting himself centre stage, but in this series, he has every right to do so.

Practically speaking, each episode appears to be a documentary in its own right and the photography of a high standard.

Breaking Bad - Season 1-4 [DVD]
Breaking Bad - Season 1-4 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Bryan Cranston
Price: 24.90

5.0 out of 5 stars A most satisfying set, 8 Aug 2013
"Breaking Bad", Seasons 1-4 was offered up by Amazon because, I think, I'd ordered all of "The Wire", which has become the gold standard. The Wire is at the top of our list, along with "Six Feet Under", a box set from a completely different genre. "24" is at the bottom, with "Treme" fairly near it. "Brotherhood" is middling top along with "Sopranos" and I don't think we'll be ordering Season 5 of "True Blood" or Series 4 of "Spiral". Of the box sets in progress, "Boardwalk Empire" will definitely be followed through and "Mad Men" probably not. That's us.

"Breaking Bad" has generated more discussion in our house than anything else. Basically, it's the story of a put upon middle-aged chemistry teacher who turns his life round on being diagnosed with terminal cancer. Basically, he learns to do what he has to do in order to provide for his family, a much younger wife with a late baby and a teenage son suffering from cerebral palsy. Don't be put off by this grim scenario, the whole thing is suffused with humour. It's violent when needs be, there's some swearing and the start is a little slow. But for us, this one is up there with The Wire", and, unlike The Wire, which remains episodic to the end, Breaking Bad has a cracker of an ending at the finish of season 4. It's so good that to continue may be a mistake, but no doubt we shall. It's all about character development really and so very human.

Nutrients A - Z: A User's Guide to Foods, Herbs, Vitamins, Minerals and Supplements
by Michael Sharon

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 8 Aug 2013
A great reference book for those who want to look after their own nutrition. There is no preaching guru here, just a wide range of information. In addition to being a dictionary, which is a directory in its own right, this book also has an excellent index.

Sprouts, the Miracle Food: The Complete Guide to Sprouting
Sprouts, the Miracle Food: The Complete Guide to Sprouting
by Steve Meyerowitz
Price: 12.50

3.0 out of 5 stars Provoking, 5 Aug 2013
I bought this book because all but one of the references to soya sprouts in the Edward Cairney alternative, The Sprouters Handbook, had been removed. (Actually, to me it looked as though they'd been ineffectively weeded out, because the index still had them). I'm grateful to Steve Meyerowitz for his advice to cook soyabean sprouts lightly to remove any residual nasties, however, I much prefer the Cairney book because Meyerwitz's is a bit of a hotchpotch.

On the good side, it has a good index as well as a detailed contents list. On the bad, like the Cairney, it glosses over how to germinate economically in cooler weather and calls for items, such as hydrogen peroxide, for use as a sterilent, which I think is unobtainable in the UK now, because it's been used in improvised bomb-making. It's looks as though we can buy sproutbags, an invention of Meyerwitz, but I just wouldn't because I do not believe they could be adequately cleaned. His other innovation, the sprouter's bamboo basket, isn't even still available on his US Website because the supply from China has become unreliable. Again, attractive as these things look, I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole. It's glass and nice sterile stainless steel for me, but at the moment, I'm using Meyerwitz's despised jars (Bio Snacky), which I find can be incubated easily (See my review of The Sprouters Handbook) and work a treat for everything I've tried so far except soyabean. I've even pulled off amaranth, a tiny seed (a) by soaking overnight, or (b) by inserting kitchen towel between the jar and the lid-strainer.

I've given Meyerwitz 3 stars because his book contains stimulating ideas. The tables are random rather than scientifically organised, though the their content may be accurate. He advocates a longer growing time than some and there must be a breaking point when a sprout, using the resources from its seed and turning them into great nutrients for us, becomes a plant, requiring resources from soil. He muddles seed leaves, which are the seed itself pushed up and turning green, with true leaves, which form independently of the seed. Some seeds, such as aduki beans and lentils, don't form seed leaves at all, their first leaves are true leaves. With alfalfa and mung, it's the other way round.

As I say, a hotchpotch with good ideas, but for a beginner, I'd advise buying a set, say of 3, Bio Snacky jars (thank you, Amazon) and following the advice given in the leaflet that comes with them. Start with seeds, such as mung and aduki bean and green lentils that are readily and cheaply available in your supermarket. That's another thing with Meyerowitz, if you sprout seeds, such as cabbage and radish that are normally sold in tiny packets for producing the mature vegetable, your sprouts will cost you a fortune!

The Sprouters Handbook
The Sprouters Handbook
by Edward Cairney
Price: 4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect, 31 July 2013
This review is from: The Sprouters Handbook (Paperback)
History: I’ve been reading and reviewing books on acid/alkaline balance (and diet in general) and have inevitably come to sprouting.

Edward Cairney’s format is my delight. His book is succinct, logically ordered, has tables and an index, but I’m only giving it 4 stars. Why? Firstly, I’m particularly interested in soyabeans, and, although there are a number of references in the index, only one has its corresponding text present, still present, I suspect. Too me, it looks as though it was intended to remove all mention of soyabeans, which led me to a hurried internet search and the purchase of yet another book, Steve Meyerowitz’s “Sprouts the miracle food”, which I’ll review when I’ve had a chance to study it. Thank you, Amazon.

It seems soyabean sprouts are best lightly steamed to be sure of ridding them of any remaining nasties. They’re also problematic to grow. First of all, the dry beans need inspecting minutely for flaws. Even it tiniest blemish that you might mistake for a speck of dirt may be enough to cause trouble later. I use a pair of reading glasses of a much stronger prescription than my own. Then the emerging sprout is extremely fragile. I’m using jars at the moment and try to be gentle. In tipping the newly sprouted beans out on to the draining board for further inspection, I first cover them in fresh water, then tip them into a bowl containing water and cushion their way out in a flood of it. And still the shoots break! Half the beans I start with will be composted or fed to the birds because of hidden flaws or subsequent breakage. An online demo recommended using a special bowl, like a colander, for soyabeans, but where to buy?. I think their relatively high oil content makes these beans the ready rotters that have to be watched so carefully.

Sorry about that digression. The other aspect of Edward Cairney’s I would question is his adherence Edward Howell’s “Enzyme digestion”, which has it that the fundus of the stomach holds food for an hour, where it’ll digest in its own enzymes (if raw when eaten) before the hydrochloric acid pours in and stops it. This is so much at variance from anything “scientific” known to me, that I can’t believe it.

A general problem is how long to sprout your sprouts and whether to do so in the dark or light. Each guru seems to recommend something different.

A matter than seems to be glossed over is keeping your sprout garden warm in the cold weather. Personally, my kitchen isn’t kept at room temperature day in day out throughout the year. The old instructions advised popping in the airing cupboard (where the sprouts would germinate in the dark as in nature), but I haven’t got one. However, I have got cats and therefore spurned cat beds, so I use the heated base of a “moonshell”, which is big enough to take two large litter trays (new), each of which holds 6 Bio-Snacky jars. Thank you, Amazon. Depending on the temperature, I put more or less newspaper between the heater pad and the litter trays, and, I always cover the lot with dark towelling tea-towels whether the heat needs keeping in or not. It worked through last winter. I green the sprouts up for a few hours before use and only grow enough for each day’s use for two people, which saves the rigamole of storage in the fridge. There’s a lot about this in the books.

Finally, I grew beautiful wheatgrass on kitchen towel in 500g Bertolli Spread boxes with holes punched in the bottoms. The trouble was, I found it nauseating, but there again, I’m intolerant of wheat anyway. I think the easiest seeds to sprout are fenugreek, mungbeans and lentilles vertes. Even alfalfa has staged germination, which means half of it will be ready while the rest has just begun.

Fruit and Nuts: Supplement to the Composition of Foods: Fruit and Nuts Supplement to 5r.e.
by M. E. McCance
Price: 28.27

5.0 out of 5 stars This could be useful, 31 July 2013
History: I've been reading and reviewing book on the acid/alkaline balance and bought "Fruit and Nuts" in the hope of clearing up some of the ambiguities.

Being about fruit and nuts, this supplement is definitely in the field, and obviously vegetarian. However it may have too much detail in too narrow a range (it does what it says on the tin) to be of a lot of help in determining the acid/alkaline balance of a whole diet. I may buy the book that this is a supplement to - McCance and Widdowson's "The Composition of Foods". Another item of note is that a non-chemist will have to look up the elemental symbols, but there aren't many.

Nicely produced, good index, loads of lovely tables, hence the 5 stars.

Manual of Nutrition 12th Edition
Manual of Nutrition 12th Edition
by Department of Health
Price: 14.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Meat and two vegetable plus another three pieces of vegetable origin, 31 July 2013
History: I've been reading and reviewing books on the acid/alkaline balance and bought the DoH's "Manual of Nutrition" in the hope of clearing up some of the ambiguities.

"Manual of Nutrition" is virtually useless in the regard, being firmly wedded to the standard western diet. However, it's nicely produced with a good index, hence the 4 stars. It is depressing, though, that Sheila Bingham in her "Dictionary of Nutrition", PUBLISHED IN 1977, made more concessions towards oddities like vegetarianism.

The Low-GL Diet Bible: The perfect way to lose weight, gain energy and improve your health: The Healthy Way to Lose Fat Fast, Gain Energy and Feel Superb
by Patrick Holford
Price: 13.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Is this the answer you've been waiting for?, 31 July 2013
History: I've been reading and reviewing books on acid/alkaline balance and bought "The Low-GL Diet Bible" having looked into Dr Robert O Young's recommendations regarding GL in his "The pH Miracle".

Unlike Dr Young's book, I would recommend Patrick Holford's "The Low-GL Diet Bible" wholeheartedly. In fact, I have sent a copy to my brother, who has been obese for 25 years and now has most of the morbidities. It looks as though it's going to be the first time he'll actually take any dietary regimen seriously.

Note: unlike my brother, I'm bordering between being normal- and underweight and am on a Patrick Holford diet as per his "Optimum Nutrition Bible".

The Acid-alkaline Diet for Optimum Health: Restore Your Balance by Creating PH Balance in Your Diet
by Christopher Vasey
Price: 8.79

4.0 out of 5 stars Different, 13 July 2013
A reader interested in balancing acids and alkalines formed in the body as a result of food metabolism will probably be interested in the competition: Dr Susan E Brown's "The Acid Alkaline Food Guide" (which I've also given 4 stars) and Dr Robert O Young's "The pH Miracle " (just 2). I've given the above 4 because, how ever much confusion there seems to be about whether a food is acidifying or alkalising, at least this one recognises we're all different and tries to deal with that. Unlike Dr Young, who doesn't want us eating fruit except for a treat because of its sugar content, Vasey worries about people who can't cope with foods which taste acidic, ie., most fresh fruits, and recommends sugar-loaded dried fruits, albeit soaked for them. His book is nicely presented and has an index, but I think his is the one that says millet is very acid-forming, which is at variance with all other sources, including my starting point a year ago: Dr Marilyn Glenville's "Osteoporosis, how to prevent, treat and reverse it". Apparently, this is because it contains silica, and, I hope he's wrong!

Because of this sort of confusion, I've ordered the following in the hope of enlightenment:

Dept of Health: Manual of Nutrition (more up to date than a valued Sheila Bingham Dictionary published in 1977)
Holland: Fruit and Nuts, Supplement to the Composition of Food (I am vegan, all but a squeak)
Sharon: Nutrients A-Z, a User's Guide to Food, Herbs etc (a dictionary is an index, great!)
Holford: The Low GL Diet Bible (I think Dr Young is right about sugar, wherever it comes from)
Cairney: The Sprouters Handbook (also inspired by Dr Young - there's nothing like an irritating book, is there?).

Thank you, Amazon.