Profile for Alysa Thomas > Reviews

Content by Alysa Thomas

Alysa Thomas (Cornwall, UK)

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully Engaging, 1 Jun 2009
I was initially skeptical about reading a book set in modern day, with vampires, demons, angels, fairies and the unlikely hero of Harold. Once I got over my pretentiousness, however, I thoroughly enjoyed the book and found myself wanting to discover more about the character and his life. Green has created marvellously in-depth characters, both other-worldly, and bog-standard humans, and has knitted them into Laverstone so seamlessly, it makes you wonder how much you've been missing in your own town!

Her dialogue is funny and realistic, though can -at times - be a little stretched, and the interaction between characters really brings the story and the people to life. I do not do well with books unless they are character driven, and so many fantasy/sci-fi/satire books focus on the setting and the fact they are in an imagined world, forgetting that their characters are becoming generic. Green, however, manages to make you completely forget that this isn't happening down the road by making the characters so believable and down-to earth (excuse the pun), you don't really notice the wonderful description of setting until a second reading.

I will issue readers a single warning: Do not get too hung up with the first chapter. I had no idea what was going on, didn't know whether these characters are generally well known or completely fictitious, or where it would fit in to the rest of the book until I had read at least 5 or 6 chapters. It does fit in, it is important, but does give a slightly jumbled start to the book. Definitely stick with it, the rest more than makes up for it!

I would recommend it to anyone wanting a light-hearted, easy read that is funny, deep, and worthy of your time or a closer look at some of the more British aspects of human nature. A great debut novel.

Impro: Improvisation and the Theatre
Impro: Improvisation and the Theatre
by Keith Johnstone

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, 12 Oct 2005
Of all the drama theory books I have read, this was certainly the most enjoyable. I found myself reading it as though it were a fictional storybook, thoroughy enjoying every word. Johnstone completely changes your perspective on imagination and being 'creative' or 'uncreative'. the best bit about it is that half of what he explains you kid of realise you knew all along, but were never aware of it, like 'cencoring' the first idea to ocme into our head. Impro has certainly helped me with my Theatre Studies Degree course! a must have for anyone who finds the imagination fasscinating.