Profile for J. Tracey > Reviews

Content by J. Tracey

J. Tracey "CrazyPaving" (Saddleworth)

Page: 1 | 2
DynaSun 2x W803 220cm 7.2ft Professional Kit Stand Lighting for Light Flash Lighting Studio Photo, Video and Photography

2.0 out of 5 stars Too weak, 31 Mar. 2015
When these arrived I thought they looked fine for the price. However, the second time I used them the leg snapped off as I opened them up. Hardly any pressure applied and it broke. I had two cheap stands before these that had survived 2 years of weddings and being dumped in the boot of my car yet these are not up to it.

Thermos Thermocafe Hammertone Stainless Steel Flask - 1.0 L
Thermos Thermocafe Hammertone Stainless Steel Flask - 1.0 L

1.0 out of 5 stars Stopped working after 8 months., 27 Jan. 2015
After 8 months it stopped heating any liquid inside for more than an hour. Poor from Thermos.

The Mechanic's Tale
The Mechanic's Tale
by Steve Matchett

2.0 out of 5 stars Starts well but drifts and looses focus, 15 May 2014
This review is from: The Mechanic's Tale (Paperback)
This popped up as a recommendation and as I was about to head off for a week in the sun and as I love F1 I thought I'd give it a go. It starts off well and the author talks about his early years before making the break into F1 with pace and interest.

Initially he covers the shock of working in F1 well, but as a year by year account of his career, the books seems to loose focus and it feels like the author got bored of writing about F1. Indeed, from about halfway through it appears he had gotten bored of F1 when he was working within it, but he stuck it out to win the constructors.

He clearer had ambitions to be a serious writer and he punctuates his F1 anecdotes with stories about holidays and his personal life. Sadly these come across as an attempt to showcase his writing ability rather than to entertain as the stories are incongruous to the book and not very interesting. I skim read quite a lot of these parts as they were wordy and dull.

He then skims through the 94 and 95 seasons, states cars should be remotely driven and built as a feat of engineering and scoffs as the FIA wanting F1 to be a drivers championship. Hardly what any true F1 fan thinks. He then seems to get bored with the book, moans about his life in F1 before the book ends with no real story or closing point.

The fact that I know more about his house in France, his publisher and his first book than any of the technical aspects of the F1 world championship winning car says it all about this book.

In the end, starts well, lost its way, became boring then stops. I wouldn't recommend it.

Kinivo BTC450 Bluetooth Hands-Free car kit for cars with aux input jack (3.5 mm)
Offered by BlueRigger LLC

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Retro fit Bluetooth, 16 April 2014
I have a 2007 Ford Focus. I installed a 3.5mm jack and then plugged this into it, stuck the button on the dash and plugged the power supply in. That was it, synced with my iPhone 5s no problem, easy to switch tracks with the 2 buttons on top, tap to use SIRI, works great for voice calls, remembers my phone and syncs every time and it comes with a USB power connection, so I can charge my phone on the go.

Absolutely brilliant.

BlueRigger High Speed HDMI to DVI Adapter Cable (1.8 Meters)
BlueRigger High Speed HDMI to DVI Adapter Cable (1.8 Meters)
Offered by BlueRigger LLC

5.0 out of 5 stars Solved my external monitor issues, 16 April 2014
I originally ordered a USB to VGA adaptor for an external touchscreen. The drivers messed with Windos 8.1 causing crashes and problems. That went back to Amazon. This was ordered and has worked perfectly. Windows 8 does make second monitors really easy to install. Good quality cable.

Clean-n-Tidy Adult Everyday Cat Litter, 15 Kg
Clean-n-Tidy Adult Everyday Cat Litter, 15 Kg

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality product, 16 April 2014
It's cat litter. Our cat likes it. It's easy to clean, doesn't smell and the price is great. With Prime delivery it gets brought to my door.

Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 EX DC HSM Optical Stabilised lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras with APS-C Sensors

2.0 out of 5 stars Just too soft wide open, 16 April 2014
I ordered this lens as a backup and travel lens for my Nikon D7000. I am a little spoilt as my main working bodies are FX and I use the stunning Nikon 24-70 2.8 on a regular basis. The issue I have is this lens just isn't sharp enough wide open. I wanted to wide aperture as I mainly do weddings and I would use this lens in an emergency should my main lens fail.

To give it a test run I took it on an engagement shoot during a clear day on my D7000. When I got back to edit the images I just wasn't happy with the sharpness of the images. At 2.8 the lens was soft throughout the image, things improved at 5.6 but it still wasn't as razor sharp as I'd have liked. Maybe I am comparing it with one of the best zoom lenses ever made, or maybe I got a dud unit. The other reviews are glowing about this lens, so I am a little disappointed it didn't live up to the expectations. I was shooting in bright daylight, outdoors, so I would have expected to see the absolute best of this lens. I doubt it would have improved in performance in low light which was the reason I bought it.

I obviously don't expect it to be anywhere near the level of the Nikon, but I did expect it to be better than the 18 to 55 kit lens I got with my first DSLR 5 years ago, which sadly it wasn't. However, thanks to Amazon's brilliant returns I'll look around and try and find a suitable replacement.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 24, 2014 8:42 AM BST

AmazonBasics Apple Certified Lightning to USB Cable - (10 cm / 4 Inches) - White

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 3 April 2014
Short cable which is ideal for in car, worked first time and keeps my power hungry iPhone 5s powered when I'm out and about. Well made, sturdier than the official apple product!

Topwell® laptop to projector USB 3.0 to VGA Multi-display video convertor External Cable Adapter for Windows 7/8

2.0 out of 5 stars Driver clashed with Windows 8, 3 April 2014
I need to install a separate touch screen monitor to a Windows 8.1 laptop that doesn't have a VGA port. This unit comes with no instructions and a CD (which new laptops can't play). I managed to find the newest drivers from Amazon on another review as the installed drivers (that I copied onto another PC and then onto USB) crashed my laptop.

The latest drivers were installed and the monitor then worked with the laptop, but it clashed with certain applications. Chrome loaded with a white screen as did the software I needed to run for a camera. A series of checks confirmed it was the drivers for this device that were clashing so it had to go back.

Great returns service from Amazon though!

Kensington Noise Reducing CarAudio Cable for iPhone
Kensington Noise Reducing CarAudio Cable for iPhone
Offered by ExpressPro

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 3 April 2014
Solved my engine whine on my self installed Bluetooth kit. Brilliant, great price and easy to install with perfect performance!

Page: 1 | 2