Profile for JD > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14
Ravelli APLT2 50" Light Weight Aluminum Tripod With Bag
Ravelli APLT2 50" Light Weight Aluminum Tripod With Bag

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 2 Aug. 2014
This is a nice light tripod with a wide range of angle and hight adjustments. It has a sturdy build quality for the price and is easily portable in the neat cary case supplied. it did struggle a bit with my large 120 x zoom binoculars, but they are very heavy and lens extends around 12" beyond the body, so its no surprise there. For camera work, no problems at all.

Its a nice piece of kit.

Andrew James Premium Programmable Chrome Filter Coffee Maker With Integrated Bean Grinder Includes Reusable Filter And 2 Year Warranty
Offered by Andrew James UK LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't go wrong at at sub £80 price., 30 July 2014
I own a Delonghi bean to cup machine which makes a great cup of Coffee, but we have an apartment by the sea and when there I miss my great fresh brew in the morning. When I came across this machine I was somewhat sceptical, given the price, but I have to say it does produce a very decent cup of coffee and lots of it. Its also a 5th of the price of the Delonghi.

As previous reviews have said, the manual is okay, but it does skip over some details, especially when programming the timer. The machine also has a few quirky features but nothing that can't be overcome by trial and error. Like most bean to cup machines (not sure why) you will find that the first 4 or so brews will not be that good (even after the initial mandatory flushing), but after that it does come to produce a consistently good quality cup of coffee. However, Its a must to experiment with the bean grinder granularity and brew strength settings to get it to the consistency you like.

All-in-all a great buy.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 30, 2015 4:44 PM BST

Sony DSCH400 Digital Compact Bridge Camera - Black
Sony DSCH400 Digital Compact Bridge Camera - Black
Offered by Pearls Books

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Quality Bridge, with a few issues., 14 July 2014
I have a number of SLR camera's plus a great Olympus Bridge, which "She who must be Obeyed", has now grabbed. So I was looking for a camera to replace it, plus I'm becoming more and more reluctant to carry around a bag of lenses and other stuff. I looked at a lot of bridge cameras with a good zoom facility in the £250 or less price range. I eventually settled on the Sony DSCH400 as it had a good spec, good reviews and the price on Amazon was the best I could find.

The camera has a solid build feel and although it has a good selection of menu options it not an Encyclopaedia Britannica, like some. The Intelligent (Easy) mode lets the camera choose the best settings for you and does a reasonably good job. It obviously also lets you choose your own setting if you are a more experience photographer with Manual, Aperture, Shutter and Program modes. The Sweep Panorama mode works well but does need a little experimenting at first (nothing unusual there). It has a 720p Movie mode which works well, but shame its not full HD, nevertheless it produces good sharp video and mono audio.

The 3" LCD panel is clear, but unfortunately does not cope well with strong sunlight. The simple remedy is to switch to the view finder, but if you like taking shots using the LCD panel you may find this a pain.

The disappointing bits, hence 4 stars:

Mine came with the Zoom set to Smart mode, but when I tried to zoom any thing approaching 25 times magnification it resulted in an error message saying "Power off and on Camera". I was very close to sending it back at this point. I also noticed that the lens, when zooming, was very grouchy. I then changed the setting to Precision mode and low-and-behold it went up to the full 63 x zoom, plus offered me a further 63 x digital zoom taking it to a total of 126 magnification. This is something that you have to dig deep into the Sony online user guide to find. After a full day of use the lens got smother and less noisy and eventually the Smart setting worked without error. The only thing I can think here is that the lens zoom mechanism had some fine grit in it, but its not what I would have expected from Sony.

The major gripe is that the Auto Focus is not responsive. Sony's spec says it will auto focus in 1.4 seconds. I would suggest its closer to 5 seconds and 7 seconds if your at the top end of the zoom. Depending on what shot your taking this can be broadly acceptable, or just too long (the bird has flown).

So, good quality camera that takes decent photos and video, but could probably benefit from a faster processor and better factory Q&A.

Tip: I purchased a 16GB Mobi Eyefi SD SDHC card with mine which adds a WiFi photo and movie file transfer facility to PC, Mac, iPad, iPhone, and Android devices. Works great and one less cable to worry about. You will need the Pro version if your sending RAW format, but not an issue with this camera. Available at Amazon and elsewhere.

Portable Powered Hand-held Paper Shredder Cutter USB DC6V Port
Portable Powered Hand-held Paper Shredder Cutter USB DC6V Port
Offered by Victory Cyber Store

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Well, 15 Jun. 2014
This has saved me a lot of time, as we keep it in the kitchen, largely to shred Junk mail that contain any personal details. It works well with up to 2 pieces of paper, any more and it struggles, but this really is not a problem. It won't handle a full sheet of A4 without folding, but to be honest we now just tear off the bits we want to shred and manually tear-up the rest,

The unit is well built and seems to do well on batteries. Mines been running now for over a month and still seems to operate at full power. The main benefit is I now don't need to take unnecessary journeys up-stairs to to use my office shredder.

Cajun Spice | 1kg LOOSE
Cajun Spice | 1kg LOOSE

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Stuff!!, 2 May 2014
This review is from: Cajun Spice | 1kg LOOSE (Misc.)
Found a receipt for Cajun Chicken on the net and tried it when this arrived. The family scoffed the lot with very little conversation over the dinner table, so must have been good! You get a lot of spice for your money and it's really good quality and full of flavour. I have also purchased the Barbecue Spice from Justingredients, which I will be trying out next week. Fully recommend.

HAMSWAN 7'' Android 4.2 MTK8312 Phone Tablet 3G Tablet Pc 512M 4GB With GPS Bluetooth Dual Cameras (White)

4.0 out of 5 stars So far so good, 17 April 2014
I have to say I was very sceptical about buying a Phablet for under £60. Having said that I have been impressed with its performance, ease of setup and relatively minor list of negatives.

Firstly, the tablet has a solid build quality about it, but it will need a case as its quit slippery. I added a 32GB Kingnston micro SD card, purchased from Amazon, as the the previous review said, in what was a very good and accurate review, it has very little storage available out of the box, but this does fix it.

The screen is basic, but if you find a good angle to hold it the picture quality is not half bad. Battery life is around five plus hours of continuous activity. After that you will need around four to five hours of charging. Having said that you are unlikely to use it full stop every day, so a full charge should last for a reasonable days usage.

The phone works well, but I would strongly suggest using a bluetooth earpiece or headset for calls, as everyone is going to hear your conversations as the callers voice is output to the speaker.

Performance is very good and setup was a breeze. The tablet does seem to be a very well balanced design and assuming long term reliability is good, this will turn out to be an excellent buy.

The only one downside so far is that it seems to come to a grinding holt now and again (twice in five hours). Not sure what causes it, but a quick reboot fixes the problem.

If like me you enjoy experimenting with new tech concepts then this is a very good starting place. Otherwise hold on for Apple or Samsung and the like to launch their Phablets later in the year, but I would hazard a guess that their price will be nowhere near as attractive as this one.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 9, 2014 8:01 PM BST

Patuoxun Bluetooth A2DP Music Audio Receiver Adapter for Dock Speaker Bose Station- Bluetooth Music Audio Receiver for iPod iPhone iPhone 5 iPod Touch Bluetooch Cell Phone / Bluetooth PC /PSP Speaker Dock

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but just a little inconsistent, 14 April 2014
From the start this really was plug and play from my iMac and iPad. I plugged it into my Bose and away it went, no stutter or drop of signal, great sound.

This changed however after a few weeks and now I find it takes two or three attempts to connect. It is also very annoying that for it to work I have to unplug it from the Bose then plug it back in before it will start-up. I would have thought this is a fundamental design flaw and could be corrected fairly easily. Never-the-less, when its connected it does work well.

3 x 5 Litres No Jet Washing - Simply Spray & Walk Away Concentrate Patio - Fencing - Decking - Mould Algae & Moss Remover
Offered by Sales Direct Online

5.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff, 14 April 2014
Having three separate patios in our garden, come the spring tidy they take ages to clean even with a Karcher. This stuff makes the job so much easier and the results are astonishing given all you need to do is mix, spray and wait 48 hours to see the effect. I did find that upping the mixture to 1.5 to 4 improved the cleaning of really stubborn areas really well. Fully recommend.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Very well Built easy to assemble and works well, 14 April 2014
I bought this for a couple of projects and was a little unsure of what was going to arrive, as the price seemed to be very cheap for this category of machine. I was therefore very pleased when I unpacked it from the box and found that it is well made and assembled perfectly without reference to the manual. I have used it a couple of time now and I really can't fault it. Incidentally it did come with a UK three pin adapter already fitted which its also a sturdy piece of kit. If you need a bench pillar drill you just can't go wrong with this one. Its top marks from me!!!

GNOSIS Onward - The Ancient Atlantean Meditation
GNOSIS Onward - The Ancient Atlantean Meditation

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolutely fascinating read, 29 Jan. 2014
I have to declare an interest here as Dr Graham is a friend of many years. His books and papers have been an eye opening inspiration to me and thousands of others. This work will give you and insight into not only how ancient knowledge was passed down and all but lost, but if you can get your head around it, from other planetary civilisations. Lew has an amazing ability to discover, collate and put into context wisdom from across the ages. A skill honed over many years of research and travel.

You will get hooked and you will not be able to put it down. The added bonus is that this is just one of many of Lew's works.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14