Profile for Pruss > Reviews

Zandonai: Francesca Da Rimini: Metropolitan Opera (Renata Scotto) [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Domingo
Offered by skyvo-direct

4.0 out of 5 stars A surprise package., 10 Feb. 2012
This production was televised many years ago and I made a video recording of it. However I could not get into it and disposed of it. When I saw that this same production has been reissued on DVD and since my taste has matured over the years, I decided to buy it. I found it to be really enjoyable. At the risk of exposing my lack of musical knowledge, it reminded me of Wagner in that the orchestra drives the opera along and the singers fit in with it, as distinct from opera where the singers lead the way and the orchestra accompanies them. Although it was written at the beginning of the 20th century the music isn't 'modern' and is most enjoyable. The opera is highly strung; there are not many gentle moments. Unless you have good reason for not trying it I suggest you buy this inexpensive disc. I think you may be very pleasantly surprised. Although I haven't mentioned the singers they are of course top class. In fact the whole production is excellent.

Mayr: Medea In Corinto [DVD] [2011] [NTSC]
Mayr: Medea In Corinto [DVD] [2011] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Nadja Michael

1.0 out of 5 stars A Disaster, 1 Feb. 2012
If a producer loves the opera he is presenting, he will allow the music to speak for itself and ensure that nothing distracts the attention of the audience from the opera. The producer of this disc obviously hates the opera since the action of the opera is relegated to the periphery of the stage and the centre stage filled with violent, disgusting, even indecent acts which have no part in the opera and so are there purely to distract the attention of the audience from an opera which he considers not worth bothering about. In this he succeeds entirely.

When I read about this opera by a composer of whom I had never heard I thought it might well be of the quality of some of the lesser known operas of Rossini or Donizetti. Perhaps it is. But I found itimpossible to pay any attention to the music or the singing with all that goes on on stage. Perhaps at some later date I might try watching this DVD with my eyes closed or with the television screen covered. That is a poor solution since operas are intended to be seen as well as heard, but at least I could concentrate on the music. In the meantime I must regard it as money down the drain.

I give one star since it has been recorded and could be used as a CD.

Gaetano Donizetti - Don Gregorio [DVD] [2007] [NTSC] [2005]
Gaetano Donizetti - Don Gregorio [DVD] [2007] [NTSC] [2005]
Dvd ~ Valerio

5.0 out of 5 stars Don Gregorio, 20 Sept. 2011
Those of us who are old enough may remember the farces at the Aldwych theatre. This opera is like one of those farces set to music. It is wonderfully well presented and I laughed aloud a number of times. The music is enjoyable throughout without being memorable. (Interestingly,if I hadn't known the composer I would have guessed it was by Rossini.) The singing throughout was good but undoubtedly the highlight both vocally and visually was Gilda. I bought this DVD as a gamble. I hope for many more such successful gambles.