Profile for Griff > Reviews

Content by Griff

Griff (Cornwall United Kingdom)

Understand Trigonometry: Teach Yourself
Understand Trigonometry: Teach Yourself
by Paul Abbott

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book but some prior knowledge required, 30 April 2012
After deciding to improve my maths skills before possibly starting an OU course I bought several of the Teach Yourself maths books. This is the book I started with first and I can honestly say that I have learnt more about Trigonometry in the last couple of weeks than I ever did at school.

This book is very good and is easy enough to work through, however, I have found that it does assume that you have a slightly more than basic understanding of the subject and maths in general. For example, when answering the exercise questions I found that the ones with diagrams where clear enough to follow but for some of the written ones I had to search the internet to try to figure out what they referred to (I wasn't alone in this either as I discovered). For some of the other questions I had to look at the answer in order to figure out exactly what the question was referring to and then try and work backwards. I showed some of these questions to friends and family to see if they could assist but none of them understood what the questions meant either so while this didn't help me I was very relieved to find out that it wasn't just me being a bit thick.

Example: A circle of radius 45mm has a chord of length 60mm. Find the Sine and the Cosine of the angle at the centre of the circle subtended by this chord.

Previous to this there had been no reference to either chords or about one thing subtending anything else. After an hour or more of searching on the internet and head scratching I jumped up and shouted out "Eureka" as finally I figured out what the question meant and promptly worked it out in a couple of minutes. I look at this question now and think how easy it was, but that is the beauty of hind sight.

One other complaint is that in the Answers section it only gives the answer and not the working out, so, if you really are stumped and all else has failed, you will still be none the wiser in the end.

Despite this review appearing to be very negative and full of gripes I still give this book 4 stars and would definitely recommend it to anyone interested in improving their maths skills. Some of the problems I encountered are probably down to my own stupidity and, to be fair to this book, there is a Teach Yourself Basic Maths book available and maybe if I had read that first I would not have had these problems.

I am now looking forward to starting Algebra and Calculus.

100 Classic Book Collection (Nintendo DS)
100 Classic Book Collection (Nintendo DS)
Offered by musicMagpie

5.0 out of 5 stars Space saving idea for the constant traveler, 30 Dec. 2008
I spend long periods of time away from home and I am unable to take too many books with me so this fantastic product for the DS has solved all my reading problems.

I just hope that this will lead to either more book collections or to downloads of new books becoming availiable in the near future.

King Lear - BBC Shakespeare Collection [1982] [DVD]
King Lear - BBC Shakespeare Collection [1982] [DVD]
Dvd ~ John Shrapnel
Offered by Quality Media Supplies Ltd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of Shakespeare, 14 Dec. 2008
Lear is my favourite play and I have three versions in all. So far this is my favourite version.

It form's part of a collection made by the BBC in the 80's of the complete works of Shakespeare. They were, on the whole, filmed as stage productions not as films. This explains the creaking floors and the claustrophobic staging.

If you like your Lear then this is a brilliant version; if you want to find out what it's all about then this is a good one to start with.

Mosquito Squadron [DVD] [1969]
Mosquito Squadron [DVD] [1969]
Dvd ~ David McCallum
Offered by 101Trading

3.0 out of 5 stars Living in the shadow of 633 Sqn, 20 Aug. 2008
Bought this film with 633 Sqn a few days a go. After watching both of them I now know why I always confused the two films. I watched 633 Sqn first followed by Mosquito Squadron and while both films are good in their own right, I have one major problem with this one. It is not only a virtual re-make with the plot being so very close in many places, but it also uses loads of film footage from 633 Sqn.

That aside I would recommend it to anyone who likes war films.

Silent Hill [DVD]
Silent Hill [DVD]
Dvd ~ Radha Mitchell

1.0 out of 5 stars Old tripe, boiling kettles and coasters, 3 April 2008
This review is from: Silent Hill [DVD] (DVD)
I was made to watch this load of old tripe with a friend (who I thought had better taste in movies) when they bought me a copy for my birthday. After several failed attempts to relieve the monotany and bordom of having to watch this film by paying extended visits to the toilet or by watching the kettle boil, only to find the DVD had been kindly paused in my absence, we finally got to the best bit in the whole film - the end credits.

In time, however, I have come to appreciate this DVD for what is it really is. As a coaster for my coffee cup it is exellent.

Another friend has since told me that to properly enjoy this film you have to play the game and they have promised to get me a copy for my next birthday.

I am looking forward to this very much as I need another coaster.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 9, 2011 12:27 AM GMT

Western Digital My Book 500GB Essential  USB2.0 External Hard Drive
Western Digital My Book 500GB Essential USB2.0 External Hard Drive

5.0 out of 5 stars Use it standing up or lying down - you choose, 2 April 2008
(This review refers to the 250GB model)

This isn't really as review of this hard drive, although I will say that I have had mine for over a year and I take it with me wherever I take my laptop and I have never had a problem with it.

What I do want to say though is in answer to Shoetring's comments from 1st Mar 08 that you can not use this unit on it's side. Four stick-on rubber feet are supplied with it and as such it can be used horizontally. I recently spent several months on ship using this lying down without any trouble.

I am now looking to by a second and would recommend them to anybody.

Microsoft Wireless Notebook Optical Mouse 3000 - Slate
Microsoft Wireless Notebook Optical Mouse 3000 - Slate

5.0 out of 5 stars Mighty Mouse, 20 Feb. 2005
Fantastic.
I wouldn't be with out this mouse. It is so easy to use; it works on most surfaces without any problems and it saves on finger ache from using the finger pad on your notebook. The only problem that I have is that I only have one of them which is causing arguments with my other half who has decided that she also can't be with out it. I am also thinking of getting one for my desk top as it is miles better and far more reliable than any other mouse I have used with it.
Buy one now, you won't regret it.