Profile for Mr. R. Jones > Reviews

Content by Mr. R. Jones

Mr. R. Jones (Swansea Uk)

Schylling Plastic Slide Whistle
Schylling Plastic Slide Whistle

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy this.total rubbish, 18 Mar. 2013
This is a terrible product, it doesnt even qualify as a toy. Not only does it not produce an audible note but it does not change pitch at all so totally pointless. I know it is only cheap but I have had better toys in poundland christmas crackers. Also I paid for next day delivery and recieved it a couple of weeks later. Awful product, awful company. AVOID!!!

TeckNet® M002 Nano Wireless Mouse,6 Buttons,18 Month Battery Life,2000 DPI 3 Adjustment Levels-Grey
Offered by SPEEDY GOAL LIMITED

1.0 out of 5 stars Utter rubbish DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY, 24 Aug. 2010
This is total rubbish.

I work as a recording engineer so spend an awful lot of time with a mouse in my hand. I bought this just to use with my laptop for some quick editing work.
Have you ever used one of those mice that just stops working for a few seconds EVERY few seconds? Well this is it, it is the most frustrating experience ever. I have bought a brand new mouse mat with it and it has brand new duracell batteries, also the receiver is only about 8 inches away from the mouse mat so the problem is just caused by a really poor quality product with poor resolution.

Do not waste your money you can buy a tidy logitech mouse for around the same price - I wish I had! The only way you can get it to work reasonably successfully is with the receiver on the edge of the mouse mat with a usb extension cable - kinda defeats the object of having a cordless mouse I would say

Sound Design: The Expressive Power of Music, Voice and Sound Effects in Cinema
Sound Design: The Expressive Power of Music, Voice and Sound Effects in Cinema
by David Sonnenschein

5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable buy it!!, 6 April 2010
If you want a book that combines practical and useful guidance when approaching sound design then this is it. Sonnenschien's informative and direct writing style makes it a 'can't put down' read. Basically - 'this is what to consider - then this is how to achieve it'. There is also an obvious love for the subject and that is inspirational.

I am studying for an Msc in advanced music production and I found this to be invaluable reference source and cannot recommend it enough.

The Drum Recording Handbook (Music Pro Guides)
The Drum Recording Handbook (Music Pro Guides)
by Bobby Owsinski

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not as good as his other titles, 9 Nov. 2009
This is a good book for some overview on drum recording techniques but it keeps telling you to refer to 'the recording engineers handbook' for more details on subjects (I was expecting this book to complement other titles by going into more details on drums).

I personally found the 'recording engineers handbook' and the 'mastering engineers handbook much more comprehensive. This book is worth a read (takes maybe a couple of hours), but I would be inclined to purchase the other two titles first - I found them both excellent
(I used them for reference when studying audio engineering at Bsc and now at Msc). The 'recording engineers handbook' already contains many interviews including a good one with 'the drum doctor' and many other engineers who all impart drum recording techniques including surround techniques etc.(surround drums isnt even covered in this title).

Bottom line - if you own or have read the 'recording engineers handbook' then you wont find much contained in this book that isnt already covered.

SanDisk Sansa m250 2Gb MP3 Player
SanDisk Sansa m250 2Gb MP3 Player

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY THIS!!!!, 28 Oct. 2007
Whatever you do, save yourself a lot of time and effort and buy a decent Mp3 player - not this one. Here's why...

I am an audio engineer by trade with a Bsc degree in audio engineering. Therefore I am pretty well versed in audio equipment and computers alike.I bought one of these players to carry around as a cheap handy little music player - I had read reviews about people having problem with firmware etc but I thought for 20 quid it was worth the risk. I WAS WRONG!!!

This is quite probably the WORST piece of cheap rubbish I have ever bought. Everything else I have purchased from amazon has been fine, but they should do themselves a favour and stop stocking these. It is really badly made - the battery cover falls off as soon as look at it, The free armband and carry case are also really cheapy. But more importantly it doesn't work.

When I first took it out of the box and put the battery in it wouldn't switch on - not a good start. So I followed the instructions and connected it to my PC. It threw up the "found new hardware" window (pnp) but then said - "usb device not recognised, your hardware has malfunctioned" reinstall or replace hardware. I did this several times and eventually got it to work although it froze my computer several times during this process - it even wouldn't cold start with the thing still plugged in via USB - very unstable for your PC.

I then dragged an album onto it to test it. This worked fine and I listened to it okay. But, when i turned the player off and on again, It changed language to German and then 30 seconds later the screen failed, it went really dark so I could only just make it out. I managed to listen to 2 songs and that was it.
Tried updating firmware from the website but it wouldn't do it - it kept saying "communication error, reconnect and try again." So I did this but after about 15 goes and a total of 2 days messing about with this thing I have given up the ghost and I'm going to send it back.

Don't waste your time with it, even if you are very computer literate and technically minded this thing is an enigma! I appreciate that many people have bought them and they work fine but believe me it is hit and miss whether or not you get a good one. The software architecture is so bad that there is a chance it will conflict with your system,and I doubt whether Sansa do any beta testing or have hordes of computer geeks fixing bugs etc. for compatibility issues.

Seriously save your money and buy a decent player from a reputable company such as Creative or Apple. These companies make great quality products with decent technical support to boot. It will save you a lot of confused frustration.