Profile for M. K. Delorean > Reviews

Content by M. K. Delorean

M. K. Delorean (Los Angeles, CA United States)

Page: 1 | 2
The Best of Never Mind the Buzzcocks [DVD]
The Best of Never Mind the Buzzcocks [DVD]
Offered by simply-well-priced
Price: 3.23

2.0 out of 5 stars Bits and Bleeps, 18 April 2013
The DVD has some bits and pieces from the first few series of the show sewn together. There aren't any real long continuous stretches. Or even hardly any semi-long ones, either.

You can tell that the show is very funny (I've never seen a complete episode). But the DVD seems to hide this well. Although the DVD whets your appetite to see a complete show it doesn't contain any complete shows, and is otherwise of very little value except perhaps to those who already have seen a lot of shows and want a quickie trip through memory lane or to see some deleted bits and bleeps they didn't see on broadcast. As a fan myself of other similar shows, I can tell right away that this show is a lot funnier if seen as a complete whole (e.g. whole episodes). It is also a disservice to the guests depicted in the DVD tracks that they aren't necessarily individually identified (for those who do not know who they are just by recognizing them). At the end of each compilation clip is a list of guest names, at least, although I noticed that even this isn't necessarily comprehensive. But if you are trying to identify a guest, try looking at the credits from other DVD tracks they might have appeared on as well.

I guess that for the purpose of my determining if I like this show or not and would want to see more, this DVD satisfied my curiosity, but boy this particular DVD is mostly empty calories. I hope that many more DVDs will come out in the future, and in a comprehensive fashion, for this show and others like it such as Mock the Week, Eight and a Half Cats, and QI.

Benidorm - The Special [DVD]
Benidorm - The Special [DVD]
Dvd ~ Johnny Vegas
Offered by rsdvd
Price: 4.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Pants, 30 Nov 2011
This review is from: Benidorm - The Special [DVD] (DVD)
Meh the Benidorm special isn't so special, you really can do without it if you're picking up each series separately, otherwise sure in a box set you might as well check it out. I can't really recommend purchasing the special on it's own though unless you are a Benidorm completest - which I am.

The Box of Delights [DVD] [1984]
The Box of Delights [DVD] [1984]
Dvd ~ Patrick Troughton
Price: 3.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, 30 Nov 2011
Wow this is a really good program. Fairly adult too, even if aimed at children, it's pretty dark and scary so perhaps be careful showing to impressionable youngsters but plenty of reviews here and not much mention of children getting nightmares or anything like that. I really enjoyed this and think it's one of the best out there and it's quite atmospheric and should reward multiple viewings.

Merlin Complete BBC Series 3 [DVD]
Merlin Complete BBC Series 3 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Colin Morgan
Price: 13.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Yet, 14 Oct 2011
Hold on to your horses for the final episode in Series 3! Easily the best episode in the whole series so far! It ties everything together and I found myself in tears, it was that good.

True I have general reservations about the series so far, to some extent the casting of Merlin himself, and the general nature of his character, and in particular Merlin's use of magic that always seems simply to be Telekinesis; it seems only *other* characters appear to use *real* magic in this series and that annoys me. Other stellar and incredible characterizations - those of Uther and Gaius more than make up for this. Anyway still a 5 star review.

The Owl Service - The Complete Series [DVD]
The Owl Service - The Complete Series [DVD]
Dvd ~ Gillian Hills
Price: 13.83

3.0 out of 5 stars Rather odd, artistic and adult, 14 Oct 2011
I don't really recommend this for children. It is very much of an art piece. This seems much like a film by, say, an art director such as Nicolas Roeg. For a great atmospheric childrens drama with pleasure to be found by adults, I instead recommend something such as the Box of Delights Box of Delights [DVD].

Surgical Spirit - Series 2 - Complete [DVD] [1990]
Surgical Spirit - Series 2 - Complete [DVD] [1990]
Dvd ~ Nichola McAuliffe
Offered by ____THE_BEST_ON_DVD____
Price: 10.63

4.0 out of 5 stars Much better than Series 1, 13 Oct 2011
More depth for the supporting actors and less predictability for the main characters makes this a definite improvement on Series 1. Sheila Sabatini's acerbic tongue and lies getting her into trouble is in much less evidence here. I look forward to Series 3.

Cadfael - The Complete Collection [DVD]
Cadfael - The Complete Collection [DVD]
Dvd ~ Derek Jacobi
Price: 15.56

5.0 out of 5 stars A Raven's Delight, 26 Sep 2011
I am quite enjoying this series, having just obtained it from Amazon UK. I am not much for mystery stories, the more convoluted the less I like them, so what holds my interest is the immersion in the 12 century ambiance, good sound track effects and Derek Jacobi's portrayal of the lead character. The last episode of the second to last season is particularly good (I'm still watching the final season). That episode is called "The Raven in the Foregate". I think it stands head and shoulders above the rest so far. Enjoy!

Whites [DVD]
Whites [DVD]
Dvd ~ Alan Davies
Offered by Discs4all
Price: 5.64

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Acting and very funny, 19 Sep 2011
This review is from: Whites [DVD] (DVD)
I got some good laughs out of this. Not just grins. It's a crime that only 1 series was produced. I finished it wanting more. Some great set pieces with actors working off of each other and raising inspiration. Clumsy assistant Axel is the only sore spot, not really adding to the ensemble. I would rather have seen more of Caroline (restaurant manager) and Kiki (kooky waitress).

Life of Riley Series 2 [DVD]
Life of Riley Series 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Caroline Quentin
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 16.89

3.0 out of 5 stars Just Average, 29 Aug 2011
This review is from: Life of Riley Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
I feel I must put out (not the only) a contrarian review. I enjoyed the first series but I'm not sure more of the same in season 2 is so good any more. I am constantly reminded of "I Love Lucy" except both husband and wife are depressing to watch, their characters are so easily pushed around and clueless. After a while the cringe-worthy situations they get into get more and more tiresome and not funny. The children are always fun to watch and have good acting chops so not all is a loss.

Toscanini NBC SO / Verdi Requiem
Toscanini NBC SO / Verdi Requiem
Price: 14.60

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent, 25 Jun 2010
I believe the RCA Red Seal "Vol. XI" double CD with both this and the Cherubini Requiem on it has a better mastering of this performance of the Verdi Requiem than this Opus Kura disc does. However if all you want is the Verdi I suppose this disc could suffice but do not recommend it over the RCA remastering by any means.

There is also a very similar performance conducted by Toscanini from 1940 available if you are a Toscanini completist.

p.s. if you don't have one, a great stereo recording of the Verdi Requiem is available conducted by Eugene Ormandy (perhaps others would instead recommend Solti or Giulini).

Page: 1 | 2