Profile for Tangible D > Reviews

Metaphors We Live By
Metaphors We Live By
by George Lakoff

1.0 out of 5 stars One to miss, 17 July 2014
This review is from: Metaphors We Live By (Paperback)
Although I'm quite well versed in reading psychology books I found this publication a dry, inaccessible read. There wasn't much rich info, or it was so inscrutably and off-puttingly written that it was lost on me. Not for me at all.

TA Today : A New Introduction to Transactional Analysis
TA Today : A New Introduction to Transactional Analysis
by Ian Stewart

5.0 out of 5 stars As though I have an extra sense to easily read people now, 17 Mar. 2012
Brilliant theory and book! So simple, elegant, and accessible!

I work in primary and secondary mental health care, and having read this, it has hugely enabled me to better my assessments and interventions with clients from the very first meeting. From the text, I'm now aware of and able to minimise my hot buttons and pre-empt me activating a storm of critical parent, or negative adaptive child.

I originally couldn't make head nor tail of this a few years ago. Tried it again this year, and it all fell into place without much effort. Admittedly, I've undergone lots of personal development in this time.

Love the theory and the practice that it so readily lends itself to. The chapters are well explained in a friendly enough without droning on or outstaying its welcome.

Thoroughly recommended!

A Tabernacle for the Sun: A Novel Set in Florence in the Time of Lorenzo De' Medici 1472-1478
by Linda Proud

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite books of all time!, 17 Mar. 2012
This was a compelling text. At first I feared it would be too intellectual and demanding of a cultured mind. My concerns quickly faded, and became immersed, evoking a palpable sense of the period and place. The characters were so well drawn, and interplayed so delightfully.

Up there with the best of them

Is There a Psycho in your Life?: Britain's leading forensic psychologist explains how to spot them - and how to deal with them
by Kerry Daynes

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly excellent!, 17 Mar. 2012
Brilliant informative read. Even though I've read the excellent Bob hare, and Martha Stout books, this text was able to provide new info, and be compellingly interesting, easy to follow, and I loved that it referenced British figures and instances, along with proper research.

Highly palatable to the layman's taste, yet full of substance for the more seasoned reader on the subject.

Narcissistic Lovers: How to Cope, Recover and Move on
Narcissistic Lovers: How to Cope, Recover and Move on
by Cynthia Zayn

5.0 out of 5 stars Accessible, quick, massively revealing read!, 17 Mar. 2012
Lots of moments punctuated throughout the read which resonates with personal experiences! Thoroughly reader-friendly, well structured. Seemingly inexplicable behaviour of people I've crossed paths with are so well unravelled and made sense of by this book. I'm sure it's relevant to everyone out there as the chances are that no-one has avoided being marked by a person with NPD.

Since completing the book, I've been able to spot narcs from a mile away.