Profile for skunktrain > Reviews

Content by skunktrain

skunktrain (So. California, USA)

The Invisible Man, Series 1 (Box Set 1) [DVD]
The Invisible Man, Series 1 (Box Set 1) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Vincent Ventresca

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good and funny, highly recommend!, 26 Jun. 2010
I first saw this series when it showed on the SciFi Channel (in the USA) in the early 2000s and I admit when it first aired, I thought, "Just another cheapo SciFi series" but I was wrong! This show is hilarious with great chemistry between the two main characters. And apparently the real-life chemistry between these two actors was so great that a lot of their scenes and lines were ad-libbed, and you get a feel for that sometimes when you watch the show.

The premise is more than a bit far-fetched and goofy. Our hero, petty criminal Darien, gets a weird "gland" implanted that can make him invisible at will. (It was either get the experimental gland implanted or a long time in prison thanks to the "Three Strikes" law.) Then things go crazy and after a series of events, our hero ends up working for a government agency with continual budget problems, and he's paired up with a neurotic but fiercely loyal partner, Bobby. (Or "Bobby Hobbes," as Bobby often says.)

The plotlines, and especially some of the technology and science fiction elements of the plots, barely hold up even to the most lax scrutiny, but who cares? This is too much fun to watch! Lots of funny situations and characters that you grow to really care about.

My main regret is that there has never been a DVD release of the second season (series to you in the UK) of this show. And I still don't understand why the show was released on DVD in the UK but not (last I checked) in the USA.

Boon - Series 1 [1986] [DVD]
Boon - Series 1 [1986] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michael Elphick
Offered by NextDayEntertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of fun, big love for Michael Elphick, 26 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Boon - Series 1 [1986] [DVD] (DVD)
I had to try out this series after admiring Michael Elphick in both "Private Schulz" and "Three Up, Two Down." This was a very fun series about a fireman who is forced out of work due to a work injury and must find new ways to support himself. The chemistry he has with his friends is fun to watch and the adventures he gets into are interesting and varied. I especially enjoyed his interaction with his friend Harry (David Daker). My only complaint would be that I wish there were subtitles because sometimes the regional accents were difficult to understand. (I'm from the USA and even though most UK accents are not a problem, something about the accents in this show proved to be troublesome at times.)

I hope that they'll release more seasons of this show and while they're at it, how about the rest of "Three Up, Two Down" too?

Last of the Dogmen [DVD] [1995] [1996]
Last of the Dogmen [DVD] [1995] [1996]
Dvd ~ Tom Berenger

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my most favorite westerns ever!, 25 Jun. 2010
This is a very sweet movie that is interesting, gripping, has some mystery, romance, and is fine for the whole family. Highly recommended.

It has a lot of beautiful mountain scenery (I always love beautiful scenery) and two wonderful main characters. Tom Berenger is a grumpy, reclusive and rather shy tracker who get sucked into a very unusual quest -- to find a lost Native American Tribe. He is wonderful in his roll -- he does "grumpy but lovable" better than most other actors that come to mind.

Barbara Hershey is fantastic too. Beautiful, brainy, capable, dedicated and a perfect compliment to Berenger's character. I really admired her in this film.

Remember, you must suspend your sense of disbelief with some of the plot elements. We're not talking reality here, but delightful escape and fantasy. There's a little bit of "Lost Horizon" going on. (Which is a plus!) Lovely film, great ending. A big thumbs up.

Chris Ryan's Strike Back [DVD]
Chris Ryan's Strike Back [DVD]
Dvd ~ Richard Armitage
Offered by FREETIME

5.0 out of 5 stars On the edge of my seat! Fantastic stuff!, 20 Jun. 2010
I'm another American who got wind of this excellent series and ordered it from the UK. I love action shows like 24 and was skeptical that this would, indeed, produce "The British Jack Bauer" (as some have called the main character, John Porter) but it delivered!

Each story is self-contained, but leaves you wanting more. There is at times almost relentless action, but it's not exhausting or pointless action. The production values are beautiful to behold (especially in the last story of the three) and the acting is great.

I'm already familiar with Richard Armitage (who plays the hero Porter) from Spooks. I wasn't sure how he'd pull off a Bauer-esque hero, but he was great! He has the same pragmatic "get the job done" fervor as Bauer, but with a Britishness to him. (Don't ask me what that means. LOL.) Armitage has the acting skills and physical presence to suit such a role. You can see he's a thinking, feeling man behind the action and the brawn.

I was also impressed by the supporting cast. I can't recall seeing Andrew Lincoln in anything before, but he was quite good in this and I'll be following his career in the future. I've always been a fan of Jodhi May and I liked her from the start. I hope she's in more episodes of Strike Back (and I *definitely* hope this series is renewed!). Toby Stephens has been a favorite actor of mine for a while and he did a credible American accent. (Not all British actors can.)

I showed this to a few people who seemed to enjoy it too (and these people are hardcore "24" fans, and not ones to usually watch a lot of British TV) so I'd say it is a good show for anyone who enjoys the edge-of-your-seat and suspend-your-disbelief- type action shows. Acting is good, production values are VERY good, and storylines action-packed and leaving you wanting more! Definitely worth it!

Between The Sheets - Complete Series [DVD] [2003]
Between The Sheets - Complete Series [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Julie Graham

3.0 out of 5 stars It was okay, I guess., 24 Jan. 2006
This was an okay miniseries. I'm a big fan of Brenda Blethyn, so I enjoyed seeing her here. However, I saw a little *too* much of her, as well as almost everyone else in this miniseries. There's some nudity here (most especially bare backsides) and some of it was a little over the top for my tastes. Your mileage may vary in regards to that, however. (It wasn't the nudity that bothered me so much--I don't consider myself too much of a prude--but that it got tedious and tiresome after a while, and did not move the story along.)
There are several storylines going on here: The pretty sex therapist and her problems with her live-in boyfriend (Richard Armitage). Those who loved Armitage in "North & South" will be pleased to know that he has a substantial part in this miniseries, but his character is not as romantic as it was in "North." (We see more than a few glimpses of his bare backside as well.) Armitage's character has some suspicion cast upon him when he is accused of inappropriate behavior with a minor. Did he or didn't he do it? Trust issues develop between this couple.
Brenda Blethyn's character is having trouble with her clueless and insensitive husband (Alun Armstrong), and she also is struggling with her own ambivalent feelings towards sex. She and her reluctant husband seek out the services of the sex therapist. Some of Blethyn's storyline is funny, some of it was (again) a little over the top for my tastes. I will always admire her, but I think I saw a little more of her skin than I would have preferred. (It's not too bad, really.) At least there are some amusing moments occasionally.
There is also a storyline involving Blethyn's and Armstrong's son, his estranged girlfriend, and a new woman who he is interested in. I found this story to be the weakest of the three, and the character of the son to be selfish and annoying.
I was less than overwhelmed with this miniseries, but it really wasn't that terrible. The presence of Armitage and Blethyn helped considerably. However, their performances cannot carry the whole thing. If the subject matter of this miniseries does not interest you, then you might give it a pass. If you are dreamy-eyed over Richard Armitage since seeing him in "North & South" (which is completely understandable!), look into buying "Sparkhouse" instead. He's quite wonderful in that, and you'll fall in love with his character.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 5, 2009 5:44 PM BST

Shakespeare Retold [2005] [DVD]
Shakespeare Retold [2005] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Nick Malinowski

5.0 out of 5 stars TOTALLY worth the money to ship it to the USA!, 11 Jan. 2006
When I read the description of this DVD, I knew I had to have it. Since this DVD is not available in the US, I paid the extra to have it shipped from the UK, and I'm having to use a region-free DVD player to view it. It is totally worth the hassle!
"Taming of the Shrew" is worth it all by itself, really. Rufus Sewell is a very good actor, but I confess I usually didn't get too excited when I learned he was in a movie. (He's always fabulous but so often he plays creeps and bad guys.) In this production, however, he is *hilarous.* Brilliant! I am forever a Rufus Sewell fan now. His character is the perfect complement to Shirley Henderson's petite bundle of hate and hostility as the bad-tempered Kate. I also consider myself a fan of Henderson now as well. She's wonderful. These two characters--who are each a mess by themselves--somehow make a perfect (in an off-beat way) couple.
"Macbeth" is also very good. Keeley Hawes and James McAvoy really do a wonderful job in their roles, and the updated storyline (about an ambitious chef) is well done. Also, if you are a fan of "North & South" (BBC miniseries, based on the Gaskell novel) you'll notice that Richard Armitage (who played the brooding Mr. Thornton) has a smallish--but important--role as MacDuff.
"Much Ado About Nothing" is hilarious, enjoyable, and makes a believable update of that play. "Midsummer Night's Dream" is good as well.
Don't expect these stories to copy the original Shakespeare plays perfectly—they are adapted in ways that make the stories work for current times, while keeping the "spirit" of the original.
This is definitely worth the money! Even if you have to have the DVD shipped overseas.