Profile for Obiwan > Reviews

Content by Obiwan

Obiwan (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
The First Cadfael Omnibus: A Morbid Taste for Bones, One Corpse Too Many, Monk's-Hood
by Ellis Peters

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 8 Jun. 2014
Enthralling read. Well written and kept me interested. So much so I have bought the next volume. I keep hearing Derek Jacobi's voice as cadfael though as I watched the TV series first.

Opening Heaven's Door: What the Dying Tell Us About Where They're Going
Opening Heaven's Door: What the Dying Tell Us About Where They're Going
by Patricia Pearson

5.0 out of 5 stars Very well-written and very readable, 7 Jun. 2014
Basically I think it's a great book. I don't think it will convince someone with a fixed idea that survival isn't possible, but then again I don't think it's really aimed in that direction. For everyone else I'd recommend it because a) there's a lot of interesting material in it and b) it is written (as someone else commented) in a very digestible way. It's a great book to have on the shelf and I think it could be equally easily read by someone recently bereaved or by those with a more academic interest in the subject of survival.

It isn't a textbook or a scientific treatise but it was for me a genuine pleasure to read. It is one I think I will read again from time to time and the references are useful for follow-up.

The Pathway Back
The Pathway Back

2.0 out of 5 stars difficult to assess, 15 May 2014
This review is from: The Pathway Back (Kindle Edition)
One could almost rate this as two separate books. As fiction or as what it claims to be.

As fiction it is pretty poor. Quite a few conflicts in terms of language (American vs English), unstructured and it's not a very interesting read to be honest.

Turning to the other possibility - some sort of after-death communication. There is very little (I'd say none actually) rigorous documentation of evidence. If one accepts it at face value as the communication of angry servicemen from WW2 then it's an indictment of the British forces during the war, or at least a element of those forces. For me it lacks credibility and supporting evidence. In my view, on the balance probabilities it's not a very convincing read.

The French Revelation:Voice to Voice Conversations with Spirits
The French Revelation:Voice to Voice Conversations with Spirits

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning and comprehensive, 5 May 2014
I was surprised to find that, for me at least; the book's principal interest lay not in evidence for survival - although it contained a little evidence which could be used to infer personal survival - but rather in the phenomena reported and the people associated with it.

The descriptions of the afterlife provided by the ostensible communicators are interesting but not of course verifiable and there are very many similar examples throughout the genre. There are one or two apparent inconsistencies (for example there are many references to seven `spheres' of existence and then mention of countless `spheres') but nothing more than one finds in other similar works.

The interest for me is in how and why someone of such prominence as Mr Randall could spend so much time and energy on such a pursuit if he wasn't convinced beyond all doubt that it was true. Particularly as he started off as an avowed sceptic intent on uncovering what he was certain would be fraud. In addition, Mrs French seems to have been well-off, infirm, deaf and, if the phenomena are to be considered fraudulent, at the same time capable of producing astonishing voices and lengthy discourses on wide range of topics.

I found it hard to conceive of a reasonable motive for fraud by either Mr Randall or Mrs French given their personal circumstances. If anything, I should imagine the sittings were something of a strain on Mrs French given her condition.

The experiments carried out by Dr Funk, which are mentioned in the Appendix, also seem to me to be honest and thorough. I am sure it is possible to find potential loopholes in his process but I cannot see how his conclusion, that the phenomena are genuine, can be easily challenged.

I found the language hard to follow in places as it is `of its time' and some of the scientific references sound anachronistic one hundred years later but it is worth persisting and they can be skipped altogether without losing the essential meaning of the communications.

It would be difficult for a reasonable person to be completely convinced of survival on the basis of reading this book; however it is difficult also to dismiss French, Randall and Funk as frauds or fools.

This book and the sources it is based on add to the body of evidence which supports the idea that we are more than simply flesh and blood.

Healing Hands
Healing Hands
by J. Bernard Hutton

5.0 out of 5 stars Astonishing, 19 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Healing Hands (Hardcover)
This is one one of the most astounding books I have ever read.

The book is well-written and well-researched. As evidence both or survival of physical death, and of spirit healing the testimony presented is powerful and simple. The story of George Chapman is presented unemotionally and with much corroboration.

I cannot recommend it strongly enough for those with an interest in the question of survival.

Things You Can do When You're Dead!: True Accounts of After Death Communication
Things You Can do When You're Dead!: True Accounts of After Death Communication

3.0 out of 5 stars some interesting reports, 14 Feb. 2014
There are quite a few reports which the author has personally investigated which make for interesting reading as does her association with Archie Roy. The report of Captain Bob for example contains quite a bit of detail which suggest strongly that something decidedly odd happened (I won't spoil the story).

Where the author has personal knowledge there is quite a bit of detail, but other areas such as the mediumship of George Chapman don't do the subject justice.

I'd say it's an intermediate read between the detail and volume contained in David Fontana's book, and the superficial treatment of this subject offered by some 'celebrity' psychics.

For those new to the subject it may whet the appetite but for those who already researched to some extent it probably won't add much.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 16, 2014 5:21 PM GMT

Fatherland: 20th Anniversary Edition
Fatherland: 20th Anniversary Edition

5.0 out of 5 stars Enthralling, 10 Jan. 2014
A very well-written novel. The characters are well-developed and the story kept me reading up to the end. The author really created the feeling of living in a post-war society dominated by nazi ideology.

Black Thermal DOOR Curtain - Reduces Heat Loss, Prevents Draughts, Saves Energy.
Offered by The Linen Depot

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says., 10 Jan. 2014
Good quality and definitely worth buying. Though I bought the brown ones :). They are sufficiently heavy and there's plenty of material to stretch across the door comfortably.
Quick delivery too.

Becket
Becket
Dvd ~ Peter O'Toole
Offered by wmdservices

5.0 out of 5 stars Outrageously camp, 10 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Becket (Blu-ray)
Very funny (though I don't think it's supposed to be). Over the top. Very entertaining. Bit of a medieval romp not to be taken seriously.

When Tomorrow Speaks to Me: Memoirs of an Irish Medium
When Tomorrow Speaks to Me: Memoirs of an Irish Medium

3.0 out of 5 stars Readable, 10 Jan. 2014
An interesting read. I'd never heard of Bridget until I saw a review of her book. The story of her childhood is entertaining and well-written. Descriptions of her childhood experiences must be taken at face value, as with any autobiography.

Stories of 'the little people' and fairies always leave me a bit incredulous but that's purely a personal view. There are some interesting descriptions of her apparent encounters with deceased relatives. Not evidential to the reader of course but I don't think this book is intended to convince anyone of the existence of an afterlife on its own.

The rest of her life is written about more superficially and reads like a list of successful readings in places. For me, this wasn't particularly convincing but sometimes it read more like a sales brochure than an autobiography with very little insight into her own thoughts. Her descriptions of her personal life are very honest but I got the impression everything was supposed to be in some way 'destined' and it didn't really resonate with me.

I think anyone who knows of her or has seen her will enjoy the book. For those unacquainted, it might seem somewhat rushed in the second half and I didn't really get any sense of the person she is now.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4