Profile for Marcelo Landivar > Reviews

Thinking, Fast and Slow
Thinking, Fast and Slow
by Daniel Kahneman
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Must-read. Well written life-time's work of how the mind works by the world's most renowned psychologist alive. Lacks a summary, 8 July 2013
A must-read if you are interested in how people think, how the mind works. It is incredible full of knowledge. This book is 418 pages (not including appendixes) of 8-point font, but in any given chapter, the message is actually condensed.

I normally read a book in a week or so, but I have taken more than 2 months to read this one because every concept he touches is so interesting that it seems almost silly not to reflect about it more deeply.

I liked Dan Ariely's books a lot (who, by the way, seems to have been somehow a disciple of Kahnemann), but they now seem to me somewhat "light-weight" compared to this book.

As a minor detail, the only thing missing for me is a a comprehensive summary of concepts explained. He touched on practically everything he has researched in his life (i.e. more than 50 years of fruitful research), so it is easy to forget one concept 3 chapters before. I would have loved to have a summary listing all the concepts described by theme or similar. Several times, I found myself going to places like Wikipedia to find just a list of the concepts he described. To be fair, his last chapter "Conclusions" gives a very broad summary of the book in about 10 pages, and then there is the list of contents at the beginning of the book, but an appendix with a summary table would have been helpful.

Guess Who Extra
Guess Who Extra
Offered by a1 Toys
Price: 15.86

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun game. With lots of new face options for this classic game, 9 Feb 2013
This review is from: Guess Who Extra (Toy)
My 5 year old loves this game. We have great fun playing together. Besides the classical faces, it now has several new options like faces of kids, funny monsters (my kid loves these), home appliances, etc.
Highly recommend it.

The (Honest) Truth About Dishonesty
The (Honest) Truth About Dishonesty
by Dan Ariely

4.0 out of 5 stars Insightful and counter-intuitive but somewhat disappointing if you have read Dan Ariely's two other books, 9 Feb 2013
If this is the first book you read by Dan Ariely, you will probably find it well written, entertaining, full of insights and counter-intuitive facts about cheating. This is a book based on insights obtained from experimentation centered around a specific subject: cheating.

From that perspective this book is an excellent read for those that want to understand cheating and lying, importantly even lying to ourselves. The author arguments wery well how the traditional economists' model of looking for self interest does not work for lying or cheating. He shows very convincingly that we all cheat by a little bit, while trying to keep a good self-image of ourselves. More interestingtly, he explores, through experimentation, what factors influence cheating, some reducing it, others increasing it. In short, if you have not read any book from Dan Ariely yet and you are interested in the subject of cheating and lying, this is a very nice book.

Now, I have read Dan Ariely's two previous books and I was slightly disappointed for a couple of reasons. First there is a significant amount of material that was already covered in previous books. Second, compared to the other two, this book feels rather "light". Knowing the other two books I expected more content.

I would give it 3.5 stars, but because I had to choose between 3 and 4, I give it 4, thinking especially about those who have not yet read any book from this author.

Plantronics M50 Bluetooth Headset
Plantronics M50 Bluetooth Headset
Offered by Terminal 1
Price: 39.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Bluetood headset, with one fixable con, 12 Dec 2012
I owned a Bluetooth Plantronics Voyager 950 headset for a few years now, which has been discontinued. So I bought this one for my wife and tried myself for some time.

Good points:
- light, but not too small to get easily lost
- on/off button, which comes handy to avoid the problem I have with this product (see below). It re-pairs itself as soon as you turn it back on.
- nice battery life (at least 3-4 days, using it 2-3 hours a day)
- you have a nice icon with battery life in a smartphone (my old headset does not have this)
- good, acceptable sound
- easy to use controls
- you can pair 2 phones at the same time
- really good value for the price

Not so good points:
- really bad point: when you press the external face of the headset, it redials the last number. So, forget about putting it in your pocket still turned on. It starts dialing at the first movement you do. The turn around is to turn it off every time you put it in your pocket. Obviously, not that practical, when you receive a call... This is why I rate it at 4 stars
- comfortable in the ear for perhaps 1 hour or so. it becomes annoying after that

Replacement Laptop Battery - 10.8v 5500mAh - Fits Apple Macbook 13" White MAC...
Offered by PortableParts-UK
Price: 24.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, but does not last as much as the original one, 24 May 2012
I use this battery in an old mac that I only use at my desktop. For that use, the battery is ok.
It never shows like fully charged and it only lasts for a little less than 2 hours. The finishing is not Apple's and you can see that.

But it is a good product for the price it costs, compared to the original Apple battery

Le Tour Du Monde En 80 Jours
Le Tour Du Monde En 80 Jours
by Jules Verne
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: 5.46

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, great format., 24 May 2012
I bought this book to refresh my French. I read this for the first time when I was a child and I still find it captivating. It's a great book and a great author, specially for young people.

90W Charger for Dell Latitude E4200 E5420 E5530 E6220 E6230 E6320 E6330 E6530 - Original Lavolta Laptop AC Adapter Notebook Power Supply - Slim - with UK Power Cord and Cable Holder
Offered by Smart Parts UK, Digital Lifestyle Retailer
Price: 24.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful flat format, light. Can take different cables for plugs (Shuko, UK, Swiss, etc), 24 May 2012
I bought this to have a 2nd power adaptor after discovering that my Dell laptop does not want to charge its battery from an HP adaptor of exactly the same volt (19.5) and shape of the plug in the computer. The laptop can still take electricity from the HP plug, but the battery is not charged.

The flat shape of the charger is interesting and comfortable enough for travelling.

Still, it could be a bit smaller. Hence the 4 stars.

The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do, and How to Change
The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do, and How to Change
by Charles Duhigg

4.0 out of 5 stars Well written, enjoyable, but lacks good examples of applying the proposed framework for change, 24 May 2012
I was impressed by how well this book is written. The author made me think of Malcom Gladwell's writing. Captivating, insightful.

Charles Duhigg is a very good writer, who writes in a way that keeps you wanting to continue reading and, at the same time, take time aside to reflect on your own life and how you can apply what you are learning while reading this book

The subject is extremely insteresting and I would gladly recommend it for anyone looking to change something in their lives, at work or somewhere else, togheter with "Switch" from Chip and Dan Heath. Switch: How to change things when change is hard

On the not so great side, and here's the reason why I don't give it 5 stars, the practical side of the book can truly be improved. The real-life author's example of how a habit can be changed applying the framework of the book is good to understanding concepts, but changing the habit of eating a cookie in the afternoon is generally not a problem for most people. I would have preferred something more practical like the 1-page "How to make a switch" from the Heath brothers or a few more real-life examples of application of Duhigg's framework on harder-to-change habits.

All in all, good book. I can only highly recommend it. I enjoyed reading it.

Black PU Leather case for Canon S1400 A2400,A4000 IXUS,Samsung ST66,ST76,DV300F, Nikon S6200,S3300, Panasonic SZ3 SZ5,FS50 & other Sony Olympus Fuji Pentax compact digital cameras
Offered by BV-electronics
Price: 5.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good case for Canon Ixus 300 HS, 16 Oct 2011
Nice case, solid and good looking. The magnetic closing is elegant and stays in place. Can be fit in the belt as well, which comes handy. The Canon Ixus 300 HS fits perfectly in. Very good product for the price. The only down side I find is that it does not have a hole on the side for the camera handle, but it is not a big issue.

ReWork: Change the Way You Work Forever
ReWork: Change the Way You Work Forever
by Jason Fried
Price: 7.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book if you are ever going to have your own company or think of doing it, 6 Dec 2010
This book made me want to start my own business.

Rework highlights many of the non-sense notions that are taken as given in business. After working 5 years in one of the largest companies in the world with all its complexity, I realize that a lot of that complexity was self imposed and is totally unnecessary.

Short book that distills a lot of experience in few pages. Can certainly help you identify how to work better in everything you have influence on.

I read 2-3 books a week and for the first time, ever, I felt compelled to write to the authors, who promplty replied within 24 hours, although perhaps having not read my email completely.

With hindsight, the title may be missleading, because this is not about personal work, but organizational work, not a big drawback.

The only negative point I see is that the authors talk about more resources on their website ("Stuff we like"), but all you find in there is more about the Rework book. Not a big enough negative to take a star off.

Page: 1 | 2