Profile for Joanne Nickerson > Reviews

Content by Joanne Nickerson

Joanne Nickerson "joknickers" (uk)

Redbird
Redbird

4.0 out of 5 stars Refreshingly different, 29 Sep 2005
This review is from: Redbird (Audio CD)
It was Heather's well-known hit 'Island' that first got me interested in her music. A song which I discovered during time spent in the USA. Since purchasing this album I have invested in all of her former albums including her 1999 album 'South' which seems to be one of her most popular. That said, this one is by far my favorite and one of the easiest to listen to. Highlights on this album for me include her single 'Welcome', 'Motherland' , 'Done Drifting' and 'This Body'. I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys interesting/unusual artists and sounds such as Tori Amos for example, Tara McLean and Dido (although their styles are not alike). Try this album out - it is worth a listen.

Blue For The Most
Blue For The Most

1.0 out of 5 stars Like Dido? HATE this!, 22 Jun 2005
This review is from: Blue For The Most (Audio CD)
This was an experimental purchase after I saw that Abraham's style had been compared to that of Dido. As I am always looking for new sounds, I decided to give this a spin and purchased both this album and her former. I was very disappointed. There is not a single song on here that I enjoyed listening too or I even found comparable to Dido - sorry , but there it is. I feel as though I wasted my money so curious Dido fans like me - BEWARE!!

The Beekeeper
The Beekeeper

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic album, must -have for all Tori Fans, 18 Mar 2005
This review is from: The Beekeeper (Audio CD)
When I saw that The Beekeeper was due for release, I pre-ordered it from Amazon immediately and I have to say that I think it is one of her best yet.

This is not another 'Scarlet's Walk' but it still differs in style from some of her earlier work. Every single track on this album is good. There are some experimental tracks on here but they still work and keep the album interesting which is of course the main thing.

Highlights for me include the opening three tracks, Parasol, Sweet the Sting and The power of orange knickers. Additional favourites include Cars and Guitars, Toast and ofcourse The Beekeeper track itself.

Best 1991-2004 [2CD Set: Hits & Acoustic]
Best 1991-2004 [2CD Set: Hits & Acoustic]
Offered by rbmbooks

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Selection of SEAL's work, 21 Feb 2005
Great album. I have enjoyed SEAL's music since the early 90's but anybody looking for an introduction to his work has found the perfect compilation. As a fan of SEAL I was disappointed that this collection did not include 'Newborn Friend' from his SEAL II album but all the other main ones are here really....
Interestingly I play the bonus acoustic collection cd more than the main one. I love the acoustic versions of Bring it on, Kiss from a Rose and Killer especially but the whole arrangement is great and really demonstrates his amazing voice and keeps you captivated.
Fantastic CD, if you like SEAL the acoustic collection is a must-have.

One Moment More
One Moment More

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 28 Jan 2005
This review is from: One Moment More (Audio CD)
This is really beautiful music. Anyone who has been drawn to artists like Eva Cassidy, Patty Griffin, Kate Walsh and Alison Krausse will enjoy this. I can honestly say I really like every single song, just gorgeous.

The Spirit Room [Int'L-Not Enh.]
The Spirit Room [Int'L-Not Enh.]
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally addictive!, 4 Jan 2003
I am at a loss as to why it took me so long to discover this artist!I have only recently purchased this CD upon Amazon's recommendation and am pleased to say that it has found a prize position in my collection. If like me, you are a fan of 'Chic Rock'you are GURANTEED to enjoy this. Apart from a couple of songs on this 11 track album, all of them are very good. My absolute favourites include the opening track "Everywhere", followed by "I'd rather be inlove", "All you wanted" and "Sweet Misery". If you cross Natalie Imbruglia with Alanis Morrisette and throw a touch of Avril Lavigne in for good measure, you are about there! Anybody who has invested in Avril Lavigne's album 'Let Go' will find this album to be a rewarding purchase and who knows? You may decide, like I did, that it is actually better! A must-have for all you Chic-rocking babes out there!

Wild Ginger
Wild Ginger
by Anchee Min

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely fantastic!, 4 Jan 2003
This review is from: Wild Ginger (Paperback)
This book is fantastic, I could not put it down!Although historically remarkable, intensely moving and erotic, at heart this book is based on the friendship between two girls, Wild Ginger and Maple. Set agianst the backdrop of China's Cultural Revolution this book describes in detail what life in china was like whilst Chairman Mao was in power and how none-Mao supporters were diciplined & executed. It really is a heart-wrenching tail of a girls battle for survival and her desire to be accepted. From war to intense bullying in a time where sexual relations are forbidden, both Maple and Wild Ginger fall for the same man, Evergreen. Wild Ginger denies her desire for him but Maple has other ideas! When Maple and Evergreen decide to take off together, Maple (...and the reader!) underestimate Wild Ginger's feelings and what she will do to stop them....!