Profile for T. Williamson > Reviews

Franz Ferdinand
Franz Ferdinand
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Just So Good, 6 Mar. 2005
This review is from: Franz Ferdinand (Audio CD)
This album is very good. I know, it's all been said before, but it really, really is. A lot of the best songs on here were never released as singles, which in my opinion is a good thing. Leaves something for the album to offer outside of the songs you already know.
'Auf Achse', 'Come On Home', 'Tell Her Tonight', 'Jacqueline', all wonderful. I mean, I must be the only person who bought this album that really, really hated 'Take Me Out', but then, loving 'Matinee' was enough.
They are rather commercial, but who cares? Only whiny indie kids care about how commercial a band is, and let's face it, who likes them anyway? Buy it, and if you don't like it, resell it. There'll always been someone who wants it.

Thinking Room
Thinking Room

5.0 out of 5 stars Phenomenal, 10 Jan. 2005
This review is from: Thinking Room (Audio CD)
This album really is amazing. All of the songs on here are absolute gold, the best in my opinion being 'Youthful', 'Good In My Head', and 'My Son'. Here's a brief run down of the tracks.
1: Good In My Head - A very good track with amazing lyrics. Very sombre, and the music goes well. A great track all around, and it's a shame this was never released in the U.K. 10/10
2: Flowers For You - Also a great track, and rather downbeat. A quirky chorus and a haunting opening. One of the better, more touching songs on the album. Very good. 9/10
3: Falling In Love Again - By far the most upbeat song on the album, but not a bad thing. The chorus is better than the verses, but it is still the most commercial thing on the album. 8/10
4: I Talked To You - Absolutely lovely. One of the best songs I've ever heard in my life, and while it isn't easily remembered, the lyrics are very touching ('In Tracey's eyes you do your worst, but still she cares'). Great. 10/10
5: My Son - This song has what sounds like a didgeridoo on the track, which is very original (one of the reasons I love Anika's work). Good lyrics and a change of tempo throughout the song make it very varied. A good thing. 10/10
6: Holding Me High - Nice. This is more of a grower, and is another track with a very downbeat tempo. Anika's voice is particularly powerful on this track. 10/10
7: Mother - I'm not so keen on this song at all. There is a lot of powerful meaning held in the lyrics, though. It's just a shame about the tune. 6/10
8: Youthful - A good song with very good lyrics (although rather controversial, if you think about it). A good chorus, a medium-fast tempo, and lovely verses. I was singing this one all day. 10/10
9: God In His Culture - The slowest song on the album, but very nice. Not quite a ballad, but lovely, this song isn't instantly memorable, but makes for a good album filler. 8/10
10: Everything's The Same - Another slow song, and rather disappointing to end the album on. It's nice enough, but the name says it all - it's very samey. 6/10
All in all, a wonderful album. I can't fault it, but the order could have been more informed. Buy this if you can. It's just phenomenal.

Blueberry Boat
Blueberry Boat

1.0 out of 5 stars What a let down., 1 Jan. 2005
This review is from: Blueberry Boat (Audio CD)
The phrase 'almost as good as drowning' seems very relevant seeing as we are on about Blueberry Boats. Each songs lasts about two minutes before it turns into another song, electronic chimes of the sort that Goldfrapp would produce are toned down and messed around with, and I just don't like it.
And this isn't my first listen either. As the kind of person who grew to love Alanis' 'Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie', I feel that if it is a grower, it will grow. But by the end of the disc, I was fiddling with a Rubik's cube. I was that bored. So I gave it another listen. I got to the third track and broke into tears (metaphorically).
I might give it another listen before I go back to the record store with it. Some charm might fly out at me, but I doubt it. There's a definite line between 'quirky', and 'mental patient'. This group haven't just crossed the line. They've turned it into a 15-minute long song. A boring one.

Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie (U.S. Version)
Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie (U.S. Version)
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Wholly different, 4 Dec. 2004
This is an album composed entirely from 'growers'. Every single track on this album is an instant classic, and no matter how many times you listen to this album you will get something new out of it each time.
For me, the highlights are the beautiful 'One', a very retrospective song which inspired me to listen to the rest of the album, 'Joining You', which is a wonderfully rocky song which makes me want to sit down every time I hear it, to fully appreciate it. Also fantastic is 'The Couch', a song about her father and her life. This song along with 'I Was Hoping' are plain amazing for their tunes and their random lyrics which suit the songs perfectly.
Oh, go on. Buy it. And no matter what other people may say, this is NOT a way to alienate fans. It is just a way to get true fans, because this album sees Alanis plumbing new depths. And I like it.

Revolution In Me
Revolution In Me
Offered by westworld-

5.0 out of 5 stars She's just better alone, 27 Oct. 2004
This review is from: Revolution In Me (Audio CD)
When I first listened to this album, I thought it was... well... totally bizarre. I would initially skip to the last track, which was comfortable, and familiar, and so I liked it best, and I still do like it, but... 'Iodine' has taken a back seat to some of the other songs. 'Nothing But Song' and 'Twist of Fate' are both fantastic songs, and even though some of the songs are quite similar (such as 'Man Without Friends', 'As You Like It', and 'Dialect'), each song has a very specific space on the album, and with some tracks being totally different ('Iodine', 'Revolution', and the amazing 'Next Human (XY)'), it's an all round good album. I have to say, the only track I don't care for is 'Suasex', and if only for the bewildering opening 30 seconds. Definitely worth buying.

Tails
Tails

3.0 out of 5 stars Leaves me a little empty..., 23 Oct. 2004
This review is from: Tails (Audio CD)
Well, I bought this album after purchasing and loving 'Cake and Pie', and to be honest, it left me a tad empty. Song after song that sounded the same left me feeling a little... well... blah. Firecracker, which I haven't heard, was on the horizon, but after hearing this album, I don't think I'll bother. Lisa Loeb has let me down a little...

Cake And Pie
Cake And Pie
Offered by CAC Media UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Lacking something..., 21 Oct. 2004
This review is from: Cake And Pie (Audio CD)
It's a good album, don't get me wrong, but it's definitely lacking something. The first and last tracks are without a doubt the best on the album, but it just appears to sag slightly in the middle. This is the first Lisa Loeb album I have bought, and I bought it on the stregnth of 'Way it really is', so I might give her another go, but it has to be stronger than this.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 25, 2012 5:42 PM GMT

The Portable Door
The Portable Door
by Tom Holt

5.0 out of 5 stars Only a heathen couldn't love this book, 3 Oct. 2004
This review is from: The Portable Door (Paperback)
This is one of the best reads in a good, long while. It's my favourite of all the Tom Holt books, and believe me, I've got a lot to compare it to. It's just a shame that the sequel is so complex and dark.
READ THIS BOOK.

Escape from Monkey Island (PC)
Escape from Monkey Island (PC)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as it could be, 10 Feb. 2004
Unfortunately, this game is nowehere near as it could have been. 3D, yes, it's wonderful, but when it is chosen over interesting gameplay and seemless interface, it seems pretty feeble. Annoying little pischy movements which totally wreck your angle and long, frustrating puzzles make you want to gut the modem.
So as far as it goes, you are better off getting Grim Fandango or Monkey Island 3 anytime. I would recommend Grim Fandango to anyone and everyone, and MI3, though short, is a laugh.
The Monkey Island bounty pack is also great.

Daria: School Dysfunctions [VHS]
Daria: School Dysfunctions [VHS]
VHS

5.0 out of 5 stars Video, 3 Oct. 2003
Great video, full of classic Daria episodes. Worth buying, but I would also recommend 'Sibling Rivalry'. Both good videos

Page: 1 | 2 | 3