Profile for Mr. B. Roads > Reviews

Content by Mr. B. Roads

Mr. B. Roads "Road-z B" (London, England)

TuneIn Radio
TuneIn Radio

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 9 Dec. 2013
This review is from: TuneIn Radio (App)
This is very easy to navigate and search for seemingly every radio station under the sun. It's never crashed. I know have it on my kindled and mobile phone.

Padfelt Paper Carpet Underlay 1mx100m
Padfelt Paper Carpet Underlay 1mx100m
Offered by Abbey Carpets

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent heavy weight paper, 9 Dec. 2013
I had to buy and put staple this down myself as all the carpet stores near me refused to do it, I couldn't even pay them to do it for me! It's a nice heavy gauge, cuts easily with a Stanley knife with no chance of tearing and seems robust once stapled down. I'm old fashioned and like it to keep the dust and drafts down and increase the lifespan of the underlay as it bridges the small gaps between floorboards. If there were big gaps I'd consider headboard instead. Excellent product.

Perfect Kick
Perfect Kick

4.0 out of 5 stars good initial fun but eventually limited without purchases, 9 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Perfect Kick (App)
This is a great game-very easy to get the hang of. There's a few shot types to master and you need to perfect the timing when making saves but for the first 30-50 goes it's excellent. What's not so great is you have to 'pay'/gamble with the games currency-which you can of course buy in app. Eventually people seem to buy better equipment giving them a huge advantage over people like me who refuse to buy in app. Then you eventually run out of money to buy into a vs match, but they do gift you enough to play 1 more go after about 10 minutes to keep you hooked. So same old story: you end up restricted by not buying in app, but that aside its still good fun.

Baby Got Colic (White Noise for Babies)
Baby Got Colic (White Noise for Babies)

5.0 out of 5 stars a godsend and must have, 9 Dec. 2013
A friend recommended we download a "white noise" app/song to play if baby wouldn't sleep. I'm surprised how effective it is; it really seems to help sooth baby into a peaceful sleep. Obviously it's not a silver bullet solution but I'm utterly convinced it helps when he wont settle. The soundtrack is about an hour long and seamlessly moves through half a dozen or so 'noises' in a 5-6 minute loop. It's not particularly irritating to the adult ear and seems to encourage me to drift off too! For the money it's been invaluable.

Prochem B123-01 Solvall Spotter 1L
Prochem B123-01 Solvall Spotter 1L

5.0 out of 5 stars worked perfectly!, 9 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Prochem B123-01 Solvall Spotter 1L
My cat had sat under a car with an oil leak and got it all over 1 paw. He then trotted upstairs and put the engine oil in numerous patches of various concentrations (the worst being the size of a 10p coin and jet black) onto our very light grey Ulster velvet carpet. I didn't hold out much hope at all but thought I'd try this....and it worked perfectly. I followed the instructions: blotched not rubbed etc... and the oil slowly but surely started to lift/evaporate away ( I'm not entirely sure where it went). The worst spots took 8-10 minutes of coercing. The bottle suggests using a follow up product but I didn't. I do think if you went mad and put too much product down it could take the colour out of the carpet. I was careful and I'm honestly amazed that my carpet came out as if the oil had never been there.

Broke: Who Killed the Middle Classes?
Broke: Who Killed the Middle Classes?

3.0 out of 5 stars Whodunnit? The middle classes themselves (apparently), 3 July 2013
On paper, according to the sociologists,economists and statisticians I am allegedly middle class. I'm sure I came from what could best be described as the bottom rung of the middle class strata. Why was I interested in this book? I worked hard at school and got straight As at GCSE, scored 24 UCAS points in A level, got a 2:1 at uni (funded by student loan) and then topped it off
with an MSc (very fortunately funded by my employer). I had a paper round when at school, weekend retail work at college and uni and upon graduating from uni fought for a job in a blue chip company (whom I've worked for ever since). My wife's life was the mirror image of my own (except she is a teacher). landing our post-grad jobs was the first real head scratching moment. We'd done everything we were supposed to do, far better educated than any of our parents, and starting jobs in a supposedly vibrant, ever growing,never returning to boom and bust economy (good ol' Gordon Brown, ahem) yet the best home we could afford,and did buy, with a 97% mortgage was a 1 bedroom ex-council flat in an extremely uninspiring block. We now earn vastly higher salaries than the national average, but the best we could afford for our current home is a wreck of an old unassuming mid terrace house in a very run of the mill street with no chance of parking your car within 400m of your front door on a good day. This isn't the life we were aspiring to. This isnt the life we'd be living if we were born in our parents generation. It's been like busting a gut, striving all your life to climb to the top of the mountain only to find there is absolutely nothing there, you've simply been hoodwinked. Duped. Conned.

So I wondered,who did kill the middle class; the life my wife and I strived for? The answer is, now I promise this doesn't ruin the book, the answer is the middle classes themselves. Mainly through the greed and ignorance (in equal measures) of the baby boomers. The book dallies with the idea of globalisation, which is where I lie the blame. Unfortunately this book does not explore that argument in much depth at all. See, globalisation was like a runaway train with no known destination, but as a nation you either scrambled aboard with your fingers crossed or you stood on the sidelines and hoped for the best. The book does explore some of the consequences e.g global banking, consolidation, corporate ethics, the technological revolution and so forth which is interesting, but not ground breaking.

The book is an easy read with lots of case studies to help contextualize the arguments.

I do feel the answer to this whoddunit is a bit of a cop-out, but do read it, perhaps you'll draw your own conclusion. I do wonder just how different the book might be viewed dependent upon the age of the reader (which is why I felt it necessary to explain my own back history).
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 16, 2015 12:22 PM GMT

Maths and English
Maths and English
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Maths & English, 6 Jun. 2007
This review is from: Maths and English (Audio CD)
Oh my, this is by far Dizzee's best album yet. The raw beats and big clash sounds of Boy in da Corner, developed through Showtime - can clearly be seen to culminate in this latest album. Maths and English is the most complete and cohesive sound Dizzee has brought to the market to date. Dizzee's lyrics are as sharp and street as ever - and in true Dizzee style e.g Dream (Showtime) there are elements of humour in Maths & English that help to lighthen some of the heavier lyrics.

If you're looking for true big clash grime, with pure hate lyricsc you may well be disappointed. This is Dizzee at his best - establishing his own unique sound - though the roots of the beats and lyrics can not be denied!

Yes, this album is different to the past two - but its always all about developing, evolving and pushing the underground music scene forward. Dizee we salute you! Keep doing your thing, keep doing it real, and definatly keep doing it your way! Big up!