Profile for Brian > Reviews

Content by Brian

Brian

Look Again To The Wind: Johnny Cash's Bitter Tears Revisited by Emmylou Harris, Steve Earle, Gillian Welch, Kris Kristofferson, The Milk Carton [Music CD]
Offered by Sam Books

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 15 Jan. 2015
Beautiful words. Beautiful singing. beautiful sentiments

The Vast Unknown: America's First Ascent of Everest
The Vast Unknown: America's First Ascent of Everest
by Broughton Coburn

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Mt. Everest thriller, 2 Aug. 2013
this is another excellent Mount Everest story. For myself, I can't get enough of these amazing tales of endurance and determination. This one set only ten years after the mountain was first climbed and when technology was far behind where it is today and before the days of the commercial climbers. A great insight into the minds of the men involved and also the women who were such a large part of it too

RELEASE ME
RELEASE ME

5.0 out of 5 stars I really lovett, 20 July 2012
This review is from: RELEASE ME (Audio CD)
this is a great balance of good musicians and Lyles' unusual vocal style that fits his songs so well.
sensitive where needed and strong where needed. also a really good mix of songs of different styles. Great

High Crimes
High Crimes
by Michael Kodas

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 15 Nov. 2011
This review is from: High Crimes (Paperback)
With the ever increasing popularity of the huge Himalayan mountains, we shouldn't be surprised at the greed and avarice that is creeping into the industry of guiding and climbing. Once commercialism rears its ugly head in any enterprise, social ethics are cast aside. Not to mention safety as we see how the desire to get as many clients on the summit as possible clouds judgement and even a leaders own rules.
The author has obviously done a lot of homework to uncover the story behind many of the issues and incidents that have occured particularly in the last 15 or so years and the unfolding of these incidents.
This book, like every other mountain climbing book I have read, kept me reading well into many nights.

No Way Down: Life and Death on K2
No Way Down: Life and Death on K2
by Graham Bowley

5.0 out of 5 stars Non Stop Reading., 7 Mar. 2011
I received this book while I was reading another, (Into Thin Air) and found I couldn't stop. Normally when I get to bed I read 2 pages and that's it. With this book I was still reading at midnight and had to force myself to turn out the light. One of the best books I have read in a long long time.

In the Footsteps of Mallory and Irvine: The Wildest Dream: The Ghost of Everest
In the Footsteps of Mallory and Irvine: The Wildest Dream: The Ghost of Everest
by Mark Mackenzie

5.0 out of 5 stars the mystique of Everest, 19 Oct. 2010
for anyone like myself who hates heights but has a fascination about them and those who challenge them, this is a book to stimulate those fears. The unanswered questions regarding Mallory and Irvine will probably never be answered but this goes a long way towards the big one, did they reach the summit? just the detail of the difficulties overcome by those two explorers, which is what they were, is amazing. Equally amazing is the feat of finding the body of Mallory and the perfect preservation of his body after 75 years. Just climbing Everest is a huge risk and challenge but to recreate the conditions and equipment that was used in Mallorys' day and still be successful makes just as riveting reading. I have read a lot of books on Everest and I found this as good as any.