Profile for Maggie G > Reviews

Maggie G

Mary Poppins, She Wrote: The Life of P. L. Travers
Mary Poppins, She Wrote: The Life of P. L. Travers

2.0 out of 5 stars Far too long and detailed, 1 May 2014
I bought this book as I had read an article about PJ Travers and I thought she sounded like an interesting person who had lead an unusual life. When I ordered the book, I took a gamble as there were no reviews for it on Amazon and it was relatively expensive. In my opinion the book reads like an academic thesis. It is long, very detailed and boring. I read only about one quarter of the book. During her life Ms Travers wrote a lot of verse/poetry and much of it is included in the book. I am not a fan of poetry and feel that the verse really ought to have been the subject of a separate book or at least contained in the appendices, so that one could more easily skip it. There is a lot of detail of Ms Travers' childhood in Australia. For example, when her mother had a headache she asked her daughter to put her cooling hand on it. PL Travers kept a diary throughout her life and much of the book includes quotes from the diaries. Maybe the book was never edited or maybe it is just out there because of the recent anniversary of the Mary Poppins film, and the Tom Hanks and Emma Thompson film replaying the making of the Mary Poppins movie. If you like the Mary Poppins books, a lot of biographical detail, verse, poetry and some purple prose, buy it.

Philips HR7761/01 Viva Food Processor
Philips HR7761/01 Viva Food Processor

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple to use, easy to clean, 18 Jun. 2013
This is a Which Best Buy food processor. This is the reason we chose it and we were not disappointed. It slices fruit and veg, mixes cakes etc and makes wonderful soups and smoothies. It is easy to use and (more importantly) easy to clean.

Amazon.co.uk Gift Card - £25 (Birthday Birds)
Amazon.co.uk Gift Card - £25 (Birthday Birds)

2.0 out of 5 stars No greeting from ME on the voucher!, 24 Mar. 2013
I have bought Amazon vouchers for people before but it seems that Amazon has changed the product. This time I could not see where I was supposed to type in my greeting, who it was from etc. The result was that the voucher had no greeting and the recipient did not know it had come from me.