Profile for sideshowm > Reviews

Content by sideshowm

sideshowm (london)

Philips LivingColors Gen 2 69143/60/PU Colour Changing Mood Lamp with Remote Control, Clear

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved it - with caveats!, 30 April 2010
I love this light - infact, I bought two. However, I think there are some things any potential buyer should know.

The colours and vivid and deep; it can provide atmosphere, light up a corner or an alcove, or work as a nightlight. However, it will NOT light up a room, and the effect will be GREATLY reduced in daylight (which you might expect).

The build quality feels good, the unit looks great, and the controller is fun and easy to use. However, they ARE expensive; DEFINITELY a treat or a luxury item. You can get coloured bulbs, or cheaper coloured lights for MUCH less.

Finally, I can confirm that BOTH of my units emit a faint but unmistakeable high-pitched electrical whining sound, which changes in frequency with the colours. I do NOT think this is a fault, and I expect that EVERY unit will do this. You should be aware of this if you intend to use this as a night-light next to your bed, or if you are sensitive to such sounds. It's a faint noise, but it is definitely there.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 13, 2012 12:41 AM GMT