Profile for Mr. M. C. Dobson > Reviews

Content by Mr. M. C. Dobson

Mr. M. C. Dobson (Reading, Berkshire United Kingdom)

Eco Flap Letterplate - Draught Proof Your Letterbox (white)
Eco Flap Letterplate - Draught Proof Your Letterbox (white)
Offered by Lake Home and Leisure

1.0 out of 5 stars Cold draught still pouring in - even more so now the wind has picked up!, 14 Jan. 2016
No better than the previous B&Q brush and 2 metal plate style letter box. Big test for it tonight, with cold NW’ly winds hitting our front door head one. The cold air is pushing under the flap on the front letter box and getting in under the bottom of Ecoflap into our lobby! It is failing to work as intended – e.g. a stronger wind should close the seal more tightly. I would think very carefully before spending £25.00 on what is effectively half a letter box (you still need an outdoor part from an old letter box). I though the seal would be tighter against the cold breeze and I thought the letter box would be better insulated.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Seems to have worked...., 19 Oct. 2011
Had quite a problem with mice in our kitchen and traditional traps did not really solve the issue. Duck taped up most of the obvious holes where the mice were accessing the kitchen but they always found a new entry point. Installed this devise at a plug point above our kitchen work top where mice were most frequently seen. After a few days we had another mouse in the kitchen again. However, after this we have not seen another mouse in there and it is coming up to 3 weeks now. The Repeller is permanently switched on (hopefully the electric bill will not be a shocker when we get it!) but may consider turning it off in the next week. Read through the instructions and make sure you have the correct setting applied on it, but I would certainly recommend this if you have mice problems. It says 'whole house' but instructions suggest it really works best in one roon as the ultrasonic waves have trouble penetrating brick walls...

Comfort in Sound
Comfort in Sound

4.0 out of 5 stars Some Excellent Tunes......, 26 Dec. 2002
This review is from: Comfort in Sound (Audio CD)
This is the first Feeder album I have bought, and I purchased it mainly because of the strength of their single 'Come Back Around,' a really great tune-with meaningful lyrics and a great chorus. I have enjoyed Feeder's other hit singles such as 'Just a Day' and 'Buck Rogers' but have never followed them up and bought the albums. However I was pleasantly surprised by the quality which this album has to offer. The first track, 'Just The Way I'm Feeling' grew on me straight away with its powerful chorus and great ballards. So yes, it may sound a little like Oasis at the start but in my opinion this slightly new style of sound adopted by Feeder still maintains originality-and shows a more mature side to them as well. Stand out tunes (other than the two best ones mentioned already) include the title track which is excellent and 'Forget About Tomorrow' which has great lyrics and shines with quality. 'Find The Colour' and 'Love Pollution' are both in keeping with the pop/rock style that Feeder are renounded for. The heaviest tune on this album is Godzilla, which seems a little lost amongst the generally down tempo tracks. Many people have said that this album has been affected by the death of Jon Lee, and that the 'old' style of Feeder has been lost. OK, so the tracks may be more emotionally charged and slower paced, but I feel that this album contains some absolutely epic tunes-with lyrics that show thought and intelligance. Arguably some of Feeder's best work to date. Buy it!!!

Behind the Sun
Behind the Sun
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Another masterpiece from the great man behind Chicane!, 12 April 2002
This review is from: Behind the Sun (Audio CD)
As good as 'Far from the Maddening Crowds'? You bet!! Chicane's second major album has all the quality and excellence displayed in the first, with some epic tunes thrown in.
What attracted me to this album (and Chicane's music as a whole, which previously I had never listened to) was hearing the track 'Saltwater' on a mates Ibiza compilation. It was then, and still is now the greatest trance tune I have ever heard combining the haunting vocals of Maire Brennan and the thumping bass and exquisite keyboard sounds from Chicane producing a tune like no other. It is a track that can be played over and over and will give you that boost of euphoria every time!
Of course the ten minutes of bliss that is 'Saltwater' is not the only great track on this album. It boasts a whole range of different styles and sounds which as Nick Bracegirdle said "represents a year in the life of Chicane." Other recognised tracks such as the number one single 'Don't give up' and the downbeat, emotional tune 'No Ordinary Morning' are mixed among less well known but still excellent tracks such as 'Autumn Tactics' and 'Low Sun'. Criticised by some for going too commercial, I feel this album hits the right balance including a good mix of chart hits and some unknown chillout greats. There is bound to be something on this album that 'hits the spot' for any lover of good music, or maybe like me you will become addicted to every tune on the cd!!
Purchasing this album (and the first release 'Far from the Maddening Crowds')introduced me to the true excellence of Chicane's music to the extent that Chicane is still hands-down my overall favourite artist! So buy this cd (and the first release as well!) and appreciate the quality that will not be found anywhere else. Simply amazing stuff!

Breakdown: The Very Best Euphoric Chillout Mixes
Breakdown: The Very Best Euphoric Chillout Mixes
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Chilled Tunes, Excellently Mixed......Buy it!, 11 April 2002
This, in my opinion, is one of the best Chillout compilations on sale at the moment-especially if you are into ambient/chilled versions of classic trance tunes. There are some superb remixes on both of the cds notably the Moonwatchers versions of Three Drives: Greece 2000 and Dutch Force's: Deadline, as well as not forgeting The Thrillseekers fantastic remix of Saltwater.But for me the highlight of this amazing comp is Alaska's phenominal chilled out version of the Thrillseekers epic club tune Synaesthasia (Fly Away). It is simply pure, chilled euphoria, and combined with the great vocal overlay of Sheryl Deane, leaves you on another level at the end of Cd 1. And you still have all the whole of Cd 2 to get through which I can promise is more of the same-the very best euphoric chillout tunes!
A very key feature to the enjoyment of listening to this cd is that the mixing is second to none. The tracks simply merge into one long flow of relaxed, blissful music. Having purchased several other Euphoric Chillout compilations in the recent past I have to admit this is the best yet with perhaps only 'Chilled Euphoria' mixed by Red Jerry coming close (another excellent purchase)
Perfect music to relax,drive or revise to, this Cd will also provide you with a uplift after a stressed out day. What are you waiting for? Buy it right now-its worth far more than the money being asked thats for sure!

Offered by westworld-

5.0 out of 5 stars So much talent, so much quality all on one disc....Chicane!, 2 April 2002
What can I say!? This surely has to be some of the greatest chilled trance music that I have ever listened to! From start to finish this album oozes quality and finesse. There is a great mixture of sounds from downbeat, ambient numbers like Leaving Town and Sunstoke to hugely euphoric and fast-paced tunes such as Red Skies, Offshore '97 and Lost You Somewhere. This music is great to drive to, or just to listen to when unwinding as it is seroiusly uplifting and euphoric, as well as cool and relaxing.
I bought this album on the strength of Chicane's second major release 'Behind the Sun' which I got first. Having being really bowled over by the hit single 'Saltwater' and not knowing of any of Chicanes earlier work I purchased it out of hopeful curiosity. Having got it in July last year, 'Far from the Maddening Crowds' is still probably the most listened to of all my CDs and quite simply a masterpiece. The tunes grow on you to the extent that I enjoy listening to them more now than I did when I first bought it. An absolute must for all connoisseurs of good music!

Offered by westworld-

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite simply a musical masterpiece...., 2 April 2002
What can I say?! This must be surely be some of the greatest chilled out, uplifting trance music that I have ever heard! From beginning to end the eleven tracks provide a whole range of different muiscal flavours and emotions. These range from downbeat, relaxing numbers like Leaving Town and Sunstroke to massively euphoric, fast-paced tunes such as Red Skies, Offshore '97 and Lost You Somewhere. The style is unique and can be listened to by anyone who desires music which gives you an inspirational, uplifting but relaxed feeling. Personally I believe this is excellent music to have on in the car or to listen to at home after a particularly stressful day, chilling you out while at the same time not sending you to sleep.
What encouraged me to purchase 'Far from the Maddening Crowds' was the strength of Chicane's second album 'Behind the Sun', which I bought beforehand and can also highly recommend. Having not really heard of Chicane before but being practically bowled over by the brilliance of the single Saltwater I purchased both albums, mainly out of expectent curiosity . I immediately realised I had heard the excellent, and addictive sound of Offshore many times before-not knowing who had produced such a great tune or what it was called. I was certainly not dissapointed with the other 10 tracks on this album, all of which have grown on me over time.
Finally I can't stress enough that this is one of those albums that come along so rarely, one that you can keep listening to and never get bored of. In fact I find I am enjoying it far more now than when I bought in July 2001. Worth every single penny that you pay for it! A simply 'must have' for all connoisseurs of great music.