Profile for W. Moose > Reviews

Napoleon Coste: The Complete Works for Solo Guitar - Volume 2
Napoleon Coste: The Complete Works for Solo Guitar - Volume 2
by Napoléon Coste

5.0 out of 5 stars Seven to Two, part 2., 11 Jan. 2016
Complete guitar works of Napoleon Coste were published by Chanterelle in 9 volumes (7 of which were for solo guitar) 1981-1983. The newer, 2 volume chanterelle edition of the solo works was published in 2007 (don't know where the 1993 reference on amazon page comes from). I'm giving it 5 stars because I think it's a very good edition, but turning 7 reasonably slim volumes into 2 volumes results in pretty thick and heavy books... 240 pages each... perhaps it was considered more economical to produce this way for the re-run.

Anyway - this Volume No.2, 240 pages, 750g approx, presents Coste's published works for solo guitar Opp. 39 - 53, in reprints of the originals, followed by the unpublished works in urtext, so all the music is set out nice and clearly. Also included - introduction and very helpful notes on the pieces by Simon Wynberg.

Napoleon Coste: The Complete Works for Solo Guitar - Volume 1
Napoleon Coste: The Complete Works for Solo Guitar - Volume 1
by Napoléon Coste

5.0 out of 5 stars Seven to Two, part 1., 10 Jan. 2016
Complete guitar works of Napoleon Coste were published by Chanterelle in 9 volumes (7 of which were for solo guitar) 1981-1983. This newer, 2 volume Chanterelle edition of the solo works was published in 2007 (don't know where the 1993 reference on amazon page comes from). I'm giving it 5 stars because I think it's a very good edition, but turning 7 reasonably slim volumes into 2 volumes results in pretty thick and heavy books... 240 pages each.

Anyway - this Volume No.1, 240 pages, 750g approx, Coste's published works for solo guitar Opp. 2 - 38, in reprints of the originals. The music is all set beatifully clear and legible. The edition also includes introduction and very helpful notes on the pieces, by Simon Wynberg.

Marco Dall'Aquila: Pieces for Lute (Paul O'Dette)
Marco Dall'Aquila: Pieces for Lute (Paul O'Dette)

3.0 out of 5 stars if I pretend to be listening from afar..., 24 Aug. 2014
I read the reviews here before going ahead and requesting it from Santa Claus last Xmas - I thought maybe I could be more open minded than the star awarders here before me... alas I can't - thus far at least. All the same, I don't exactly regret asking Santa for it. It's a challenge at least.

By now I've come to the conclusion that it's 'ok' - if I turn the volume down fairly low and imagine I'm in an adjoining alcove of sorts, or in the entrance hallway, rather than actually in the same acoustic space as our lutist - and then if I perhaps have a nap....

I'll try and get accustomed to it over time if I can and hope to nudge it towards 4 stars...
eventually my attention might learn to shift away from acoustics, and focus on the music.

I'm sure I'm often seeing reference to the 'intimacy' of the lute's soundworld (lute enthusiasts enthusing about their chosen instrument) so I don't know why so many recordings of lute music fail to give that sense of intimacy and go for the larger space sound - this one takes the biscuit.

Music in Renaissance Florence Art
Music in Renaissance Florence Art
Offered by marvelio-uk

4.0 out of 5 stars Previously released as 'Music for Mona Lisa', 19 May 2014
With no product info hereabouts save seeing it features 'Concordia' -

this was a re-packaging to accompany an Exhibition - anyone interested should be mindful that this is exactly the same recording as is also to be found under the title 'Music for Mona Lisa' so for track info, mp3 samples etc., search for it so titled. You may find the album on this page is priced cheaper (I did, very cheap, which led me to take a chance without knowing what to expect - I'd tried searching for more info but couldn't find any... and yes, I'd already bought Mona) - not much difference apart from the cover picture - myself I prefer Venus to Mona. I give it 4 stars because I like it, though I wouldn't go so far as to 'love it' (although very fond of Venus), so far at least. There's a review for the 'Mona Lisa' version, if you want a better review than I can manage, look there.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 6, 2014 9:03 AM BST

Shimano Tourney 6 Speed Mountain Bike ScrewOn Freewheel MFTZ06
Shimano Tourney 6 Speed Mountain Bike ScrewOn Freewheel MFTZ06
Offered by bikes4life limited

5.0 out of 5 stars TZ06 or TZ20?, 20 Mar. 2014
My bike came with a MFTZ06 freewheel and last time around I replaced it with the same. I noticed the photo on this page is actually of an MFTZ20 so I wasn't unduly alarmed when that's just what arrived - having looked at Shimano website the MFTZ06 doesn't appear to be current so I assume the MF TZ20 is the equivalent replacement part.

Fitted it today, and 3 miles later all seems normal - I'll give it 5 stars for now...

Daler Rowney Simply Mini Canvas and Easel Set
Daler Rowney Simply Mini Canvas and Easel Set

3.0 out of 5 stars Again - TOO SMALL!, 12 Feb. 2014
Someone not interested in the little details might not register much difference between 7cm and 6.5cm but Reeves offer a mini canvas just like this one... except it actually is 7cm x 7cm.

Those offered here are only 6.5cm sq and the difference is very noticeable - size matters - 'approx 7cm' is not good enough! I've been using the Reeves ones up till now - was expecting these to be the same size - disappointed.

As it happens, one of the easels was split/broken at the top. I don't think this happened in transit so I put it down to poor quality control, also seem to be made of lower quality wood than other mini easels I've bought, and the support bar is set too high for my liking.

An Emerald in a Work of Gold: Music from the Dow Partbooks
An Emerald in a Work of Gold: Music from the Dow Partbooks

5.0 out of 5 stars A real gem, 13 Oct. 2013
Thanks to Stephen Midgley's detailed review I don't need to attempt (and fail) any such myself but,... speaking as a simple music-enthusiast it all sounds wonderful to me. I'm particularly fond of voice + viol which pieces brought me to this cd release in the first place. This 'review' will most likely end up sounding more like a 'comment' on aforementioned S.M. review.

I wasn't aware of any top-heaviness to the voices and I haven't gotten around to comparisons (I'm sure I must have some pieces in alternative recordings somewhere about me) but in any case, in regard to the sopranos, methinks these are two absolutely beautiful voices which become the focus of my attention anyway, whether it be either one singly, or both together. Likewise I find the countertenors very pleasant.

The fact is that there are a several recording countertenors commonly encountered whose voices manage to irritate the hell out of me (off-hand, I can name Michael Chance and James Bowman as countertenor voices that I enjoy), and a good few vocal groups whose sopranos leave me cold for want of having truly beautiful voices... so, this here being an ensemble whose sopranos are very lovely indeed, and whose countertenors are very pleasant (and the rest jolly pleasing too) I'm so engrossed in the pure enjoyment that I'd have to make a mighty effort to insist to myself that it's too top-heavy.

If I lost my copy I'd certainly go and buy it again - absolutely wins 5 stars from me.

Rimsky-Korsakov: Scheherazade (DECCA The Originals)
Rimsky-Korsakov: Scheherazade (DECCA The Originals)

4.0 out of 5 stars Plus a 'live recording' of Borodin's symphony No.2, 15 Dec. 2011
I suppose I mustn't have quite read all reviews properly first - when this arrived today I was completely surprised to find the 'symphony No.2' was by Borodin (not mentioned in product details or sample tracks) - for some reason I was expecting it to be Rimsky-Korsakov's No.2. Plus, the Borodin part of this disc is a 'live recording' with applause at the end.

I'm a bit dull I suppose, but I tend to shy away from 'live' recordings, and if they are 'live', I at least want the applause removed... nor was I looking for another Borodin symphony No.2, so, if this product page had informed me of these little details I'd have thought twice about buying it.

However... I immediately really liked the Scheherazade, can't imagine it being performed better than this, so I won't complain too much while I make my mind up about the Borodin.

N'Existe Pas
N'Existe Pas

5.0 out of 5 stars Awaiting in hope, 15 Sept. 2010
This review is from: N'Existe Pas (Audio CD)
I must go even further and give 5 stars. I think it is a most creative and delightful work indeed. I find it very humourful, original, unusual, and musically well put together - full of inspired touches.

Are we all talking about the LP here? What about the CD? I'm still relying on my LP, and wait in hope that maybe Esoteric (who seem to make a great job of such things) will be coming up with a remastered version one day. I presume this here release is on Spalax, and probably perfectly good, but I'm trying to resist temptation to plump for it.

Dividedakienplaybox80
Dividedakienplaybox80

4.0 out of 5 stars Spalax or Charly (Snapper)?, 13 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Dividedakienplaybox80 (Audio CD)
I started with the Spalax release then soon after noticed that a more up-to-date remastered version from SNAPPER was available - the curiosity got hold of me, and yes indeed the Snapper remastered edition sounds better, and comes with extra tracks, plus booklet with info.

So... if you've arrived at the Spalax issued version, which was the one that Amazon presented most readily to me, do a bit more searching for the Snapper release.

As for the music - initially I'm thinking some tracks would be better without the thump thump thump thump metronomic beat (thankfully only inflicted on some of the tracks), and that a bit more sing song would have added interest to this album, but maybe with a few more listens... there's certainly a fair mount of guitar work in the mix to hold my attention.

I'll try thinking metro gnomic.

I actually think 'N'existe pas' is an excellent album, some may think it's slightly dark, but I find it very entertaining and highly amusing, and I got to know it at the time of its original release. Seems I wasn't keeping up with developments - it's only taken me about 30 years to get from that album to this. I can't help thinking that there wasn't the will or effort put in to achieve something as worthy as 'Good Morning' or 'N'existe pas', and that with a bit more effort and will, this Playbax 80 could have turned into something really satisfying.... I suppose I shouldn't think comparisons, it's a fun enough Daevid Allen lark for when one has those Daevidallen days.

Page: 1 | 2