Profile for BM > Reviews

Content by BM

BM "bookmummy" (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Sticker Dressing Action Heroes (Usborne Sticker Dressing)
Sticker Dressing Action Heroes (Usborne Sticker Dressing)
by Megan Cullis

4.0 out of 5 stars More please, 21 May 2012
I am just writing to try and answer the previous reviewers - Usborne produce loads of these products specifically for girls - there must be about 25 in the series. They produce about 4 books in this series for boys. Yes it's an outdated notion to distinguish between the genders so much - but these are great for parents like me who have a girl and a boy. My son feels very hard done by that his sister can get so many of these types of boks when he can't. I would love to see more aimed at boys - or preferably more unisex ones....

The Mysterious Benedict Society
The Mysterious Benedict Society
by Trenton Lee Stewart

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant! Why isn't this series more widely known?, 9 May 2012
I confess to being a 40 year old lover of children's fiction - this is a great addition to my collection. I loved it! The plot has been explained in lots of other reviews but it is basically a mystery and adventure story with a group of 4 children as the main characters. I thought the story was beautifully written, cleverly thought out and the characters were well-explored.. The ending is perhaps a bit too neat but I am definitely planning to read the others in the series - and to give this one to my 9 year old daughter to read...
Edited to add: My 9 year old has now finished this and is racing through the 2nd. She has been completely inspired by this book. She is an inveterate reader and is rarely without a book in her hand but there are a limited number of books that have captured her attention as completely as this book did (her early experiences of Enid Blyton, the early Harry Potters, The Hobbit and Ballet Shoes probably being the others). She is eating, sleeping and breathing this book at the moment and is trying to "be" the character that she relates best to (one of the heroes, a girl called Kate). I cannot recommend this highly enough.

How To Train Your Dragon: How to Twist a Dragon's Tale
How To Train Your Dragon: How to Twist a Dragon's Tale
by Cressida Cowell

5.0 out of 5 stars My children adore these, 16 April 2012
My children watched the film "How to train a Dragon" in February half-term and my 7 year old son asked for the books as a result. He has read them all - and my 9 year old daughter has too - and they have thoroughly enjoyed all of them. We could hardly drag our son away from them, he found them so engrossing. I confess that I haven't read them but he says they are exciting and funny at the same time. My children are both hoping that some more come out soon.....

The River of Adventure (Adventure (MacMillan) Book 8)
The River of Adventure (Adventure (MacMillan) Book 8)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for all Blyton fans, 4 July 2011
My 8 year old daughter has just read this Adventure series. She started off with the Secret Seven, moved onto the Five Finder-Outers, then the Famous Five and then this series. She said that this series was the most exciting she had ever read and she was absolutely engrossed from beginning to end... I've now read them as I don't remember reading them as a child! They are very exciting with a new and different adventure in each book. There are cliff-hanger episodes but the fear factor is never too bad.... you know they will escape and all will be well! I would definitely recommend these for all young Enid Blyton fans.

Gamewright Sleeping Queens Game
Gamewright Sleeping Queens Game

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 30 April 2011
My daughter was given this for her 8th birthday, having played it with a friend previously. We have all enjoyed playing it - adults and her 6 year old brother alike. Each time is different so it doesn't get boring. I would say that most 6 year olds would grasp this fairly easily so don't be put off by the 8+ advice. A well thought out clever fun game. I have bought several as birthday presents now and am looking at the other card games by this company for next year's gifts!

Ballet Shoes: A Story of Three Children on the Stage (Puffin Books)
Ballet Shoes: A Story of Three Children on the Stage (Puffin Books)
by Noel Streatfeild

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, 25 Jan 2011
I have always loved this story; I'm now 39 and still re-read it every so often. It captures the imagination and is so beautifully written. I longed to live the life of these children. I have always been cautious about introducing my own daughtr to my literary loves - I want her to enjoy them so try not to give them to her too early. She is now 7 and has read Ballet Shoes over the last week. She completely adores it. It has bridged the intervening years brilliantly and she is hooked. She wants to read all the other Noel Streatfeild books now and - just like me 30 years ago - she wants to be Pauline too!!

Ravensburger Enchanted Forest game
Ravensburger Enchanted Forest game

4.0 out of 5 stars Good fun, 4 Jan 2011
My 7 year old daughter was given this for Christmas. At first she thought the box made it look a bit babyish but once she started playing it she really enjoyed it. My 6 year old son has been enjoying it too. The premise of the game is that special objects have been secretly hidden underneath trees around the forest - the aim is to find them and then race to the castle to collect the card. The first to collect 3 cards wins. It's a good game for improving memory skills - my daughter is shocked by how easily she forgets what she's seen - and is fun aswell. I can imagine us getting a few years of enjoyment from this. My daughter's advice is for children her age to ignore the picture on the front of the box!!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 30, 2014 6:07 AM BST

Winter Term at Malory Towers (Malory Towers (Pamela Cox))
Winter Term at Malory Towers (Malory Towers (Pamela Cox))
by Pamela Cox

5.0 out of 5 stars Very popular with my daughter....., 2 Jan 2011
My 7 year old daughter is obsessed by Enid Blyton and has read & adored the Malory Towers series. She has thoroughly enjoyed these additional books by Pamela Cox which fit in perfectly with the Enid Blyton style. She would certainly recommend these - and has persuaded half her class to read them!

Zhu Zhu Pets Hamster - Bamboo - Panda - 2010 Holiday Releases
Zhu Zhu Pets Hamster - Bamboo - Panda - 2010 Holiday Releases
Offered by Buy-For-Less-Online

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic value, 2 Jan 2011
My children (aged 6 and 7) were bought a Wii for Christmas - which has gone down very well. However these Zhu Zhu hamsters have been even more popular (and a great deal cheaper)! They were bought 2 each, one by Santa and one by a clever godmother. One of them was bought from this website and arrived incredibly quickly - and great to be able to choose the exact hamster wanted. The basic idea is that these hamsters make lots of cute noises and run about the room. They work fine on our carpets and seem fairly robust. They take 2 batteries each. There are lots of different types - I don't think we will bother branching out into buying the other accessories for Zhu Zhu world - they are fun enough on their own - but these are good fun reasonably-priced toys that I would recommend.

The Lacuna
The Lacuna
by Barbara Kingsolver

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 2 Jan 2011
This review is from: The Lacuna (Paperback)
"The Poisonwood Bible" is one of my favourite books ever - and I have also enjoyed the others of Barbara Kingsolver's novels. This, however, was not for me. I didn't even manage to finish it, despite several good attempts. I just found it boring, overly wordy, too obviously "literary" and I had no interest in any of the characters... My advice would be to read her others and give this one a miss....

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10