Profile for Andrew Murray > Reviews

Content by Andrew Murray

Andrew Murray (Wimbledon Village, London United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2
The Best of Not the 9 O'Clock News - Volume 1 [DVD] [1979]
The Best of Not the 9 O'Clock News - Volume 1 [DVD] [1979]
Dvd ~ Rowan Atkinson
Price: 4.96

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth purchasing, 25 Nov 2003
I have been waiting ages for the BBC to release a DVD of Not the Nine.... It says this is volume one so I hope more is to come!
This DVD is great. The teamwork of Smith, Jones, Atkinson and Stephenson is clearly apparent and makes for exciting and risque sketchs.
I love the sketch about the Life of Brian, which trys to make out that is blasphimic towards Monty Python: "We after-all a Python worshipping country"
Much of the comedy could not be played on British TV; If you are into political correctness this DVD is certainly not for you!
If you can laugh at yourself, and enjoy quick-fire comedy check it out

What Color Is Love
What Color Is Love

4.0 out of 5 stars My first Terry album, 28 Mar 2003
This review is from: What Color Is Love (Audio CD)
This was my first taste of Mr Terry Callier. I remember putting the CD on and being mesmorised for nearly 9 minutes listened to the majestic 'Dancing Girl'. This is a truly epic piece of music which takes you on a musical journey into the sublime. The CD is worth buying just for this one track.
Then comes another Terry Callier classic 'What Color is Love'. These two tracks have become 2 of Terry's most played during his musical pilgrimage around the world.
This man is a true talent, buy this CD and try to go and see him live. This CD will never leave your collection

Never For Ever
Never For Ever
Price: 6.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for Kate, 27 Mar 2003
This review is from: Never For Ever (Audio CD)
This is probably my favourite Kate Bush CD. It has clearly had alot of time spent on it in the studio - some may say over-produced but that fact that it's Kate's vision makes it truly fascinating.
Some people my find Kate's music painful to listen too, the only track that makes me cringe slightly is 'Violin', a bit too intense for an album that is generally laid-back. I usually skip this one. The words for her songs are sheer poetry, and with such crafted music and background sounds makes this a muscial journey for the head. My favourites includes: Babooshka, Delius Song, Egypt, Wedding List, Army Dreamers and Breathing. As you can see that's basically the whole album. An exceptional talent.....

Vauxhall And I
Vauxhall And I
Price: 9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Takes a few listens - but worth the effort, 27 Mar 2003
This review is from: Vauxhall And I (Audio CD)
This was the first Morrissey solo album I got. I bought it on the strength of hearing one song "why don't you find out for yourself". This is a class track and it still remains my favourite on the album. I can't believe that a song as musical and with such great lyrics doesnt get more airplay.
There are other excellent tracks including "Now my heart is full" and the epic "speedway". I have been really impressed with this album, probably the first of many for me. Give it a go!

Bjork: Live At The Royal Opera House [DVD] [NTSC]
Bjork: Live At The Royal Opera House [DVD] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Bjork
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 11.72

5.0 out of 5 stars Spellbinding, 11 Dec 2002
This is a truly amazing performance.
I would have loved to have been there that special evening. Apparently it was the first time that a contemporary artist had been allowed to perform in the Royal Opera House: Covent Garden - London.
Lets begin: The full-scale orchestra, Matmos, the choir from Greenland and the mesmerising Bjork. I put on this DVD; in a darkend room, with surround sound and had an amzing one and a half hours of my life. What a performance!
I'm a huge Bjork fan anyway but to see the fusion of live classical orchestra, choir and Bjork was spellbinding. I don't find Bjork physically attractive, but she oozes something which just turns me to jelly, the voice, the accent, her facial movements, her performance. I tempt anyone even if they are not Bjork fans, to watch this DVD (uninterupted) and not be impressed by the musical talent before them.
The set-list is just what I would have wanted. I do know however that she did perform 'Play Dead' that evening but it has not been included on the DVD - shame, but there is more than enough to make up for it:
1 Frosti
16 Hyperballad
17 Human Behaviour
18 Jóga
19 It's In Our Hands
The first half mainly focusses on the excellent Vespertine - and the second half being a mix of Debut, Post, Homegenic and Vespertine.
I have been to many concerts and live performances, as well as owning an array of music DVDs. This blows them all out of the water!
If you know, and like Bjork - Buy this. If you don't know her, or think you don't like her music - take a gamble and buy this DVD on the basis of a music fan's opinion - you will not regret it!

Biologique
Biologique

4.0 out of 5 stars Bought after hearing Mystical Rhythm on the radio, 25 Nov 2002
This review is from: Biologique (Audio CD)
I bought this album on the basis of hearing just one song: Mystical Rhythm. In fairness, its a great song: funky beats, full bass and amazing piano rifts wandering throughout. It's one of those tracks which really takes you somewhere. Great to play on a car journey at night, street lights flashing by, music pumping.
The other tracks in my opinion don't reach the same heights as Mystical Rhythm. In fact they sound a lot more like they were made on a home PC rather than a professional studio. That's not necessarily a bad thing - it just sounds a bit tinny.
I'm hoping there is going to be more releases from Vince, because he clearly has a vivid imagination.

Now That's What I Call Music! 53
Now That's What I Call Music! 53
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 3.46

4.0 out of 5 stars A good complilation, 24 Nov 2002
There are not many complilations where Status Quo can sit next happily next to an effort by Paul Oakenfold. But its to their credit - too much music nowadays is pigeon-holed - at least with NOW, they try to cross most muscial boundaries.
Yeah there are some songs that I hope are rapidly lost to time - e.g. Las Ketchup and Abs.
Except for the odd dodgy tune, I am happy to see though that NOW have decided to think about the playlist - and to me they have got it right. The first Disk is dance based, the 2nd has more roots in the guitar.
Some of you - expect to receive this one for Christmas.....

Unplugged
Unplugged
Price: 4.64

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but......, 22 Nov 2002
This review is from: Unplugged (Audio CD)
People are probably going to say why did I only give this 3 stars - but in my opinion the 5 star tag is overused.
I really enjoyed this album. The stand out track for me is the re-working of 'Like a Hurricane', it absolutely blew me away when I heard it. Such emotion in Young's voice, you can really feel the words. It's one of the best live tracks I've ever heard. There are other good tracks on this CD, but not enough to warrant a higher star rating. If you are a Neil Younng fan, buy it; but I think he has done better.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 31, 2014 8:41 PM GMT

Blade Runner [Us Import]
Blade Runner [Us Import]
Price: 14.78

5.0 out of 5 stars Like the Music more than the film, 20 Nov 2002
The best soundtrack album I own.
I liked the film, but to me it seems that it's popular in a cult way because it's moody, different and because fashionable people want to like it.
However, I think the soundtrack is excellent and has universal appeal. The snippets from the film become inbedded into your head after a few listens - quoting "artificial owls" and "attack ships on fire". I love listening to this CD when I'm relaxing. A long train journey, in a bath, or after herbal indulgences. Vangelis does a great job, I love the sweeping music and mix of musical styles apparent on this CD.
DJ Paul Oakenfold voted this his favourite album ever. I'm not going that far but if I'm on a desrt island and Ive got limited space - I'm taking this CD.
Highly recomended!

Mind Fruit
Mind Fruit

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, 20 Nov 2002
This review is from: Mind Fruit (Audio CD)
I bought this album having (as i'm guessing most of you) only heard one of their songs: 'Fine Day'.
Having purchased and listened to this album I think this is (predictably) their best song. However, It isn't written by Opus III (Hawkshaw), which is a shame because the other good tune 'I talk to the wind' is also not written by Opus III. The rest are, and in my opinion are weak.
But I do think that this album is worth buying. It is a moment in time from a band who have been nearly forgotten. I was right to buy this album for one song 'Fine Day' because it's a classic!

Page: 1 | 2