Profile for P. C. Greenland > Reviews

Nike 6.0 Sixo 100% Cotton Woven Cargo Short 404595-021
Nike 6.0 Sixo 100% Cotton Woven Cargo Short 404595-021
Offered by The Sportswear Factory

3.0 out of 5 stars Not sure these are Nike, 28 Aug. 2013
These shorts are a bit thin, but to be fair, the price is about right. They seem to be Nike India, so not sure they are the real deal.

Bridgedale Women's Woolfusion Trail Socks - UK 7-8.5, Berry
Bridgedale Women's Woolfusion Trail Socks - UK 7-8.5, Berry

5.0 out of 5 stars Bridgedales never fail, 28 Aug. 2013
I have worn Bridgedale socks for years for walking and love them. When my niece, who suffers terribly from blisters, was about to go walking in the Pyrenees, I bought these for her with some coolmax liners, told her to always wear both, and gave her some compeeds in case. They were not needed. She said the socks were fantastic, with no blisters at all. She is a complete convert.

The Detective's Daughter
The Detective's Daughter

1.0 out of 5 stars Tedious and badly written, 28 Aug. 2013
I seldom abandon a book half way through, especially one that is supposed to be thrilling and chilling, but I began to pick this book up each night with a sinking heart, and eventually decided life is too short, with too many good books to read to waste another second on this one. The characters are so poorly drawn and as another reviewer so rightly says, they change personality so abruptly that the story becomes a farce. No one draws you in. There are endless descriptive passages which should evoke atmosphere but actually just distract and bore, and which are sometimes so badly written they are downright confusing and have to be reread. Who wants to have to reread descriptive passages? The only thing which dragged me forward through the book was the natural desire to find out what happened in the past, but by half way the effort outweighed the desire. How this author could be compared to Kate Atkinson I do not know. Only in creating a sense of menace did she shine, and then ruined it with her muddled and confused writing. Kate Atkinson might take you on bizarre flights of fancy, but her writing shines throughout. This was a mishmash of voices which very quickly you ceased to care about. The idea was good. The end result - don't waste your time. Perhaps it gets better, and deserves its good reviews, but a writer has to make you want to read the second half and, for me, she completely failed to do so.

You Can Be Thin: The Ultimate Programme to End Dieting...Forever
You Can Be Thin: The Ultimate Programme to End Dieting...Forever
by Marisa Peer

5.0 out of 5 stars I am slim again!, 18 Jun. 2013
I happily give this book and cd 5 stars, because the effects have been amazing. 8 weeks in and I have shed 18lb! And I feel great about food!

My only slight niggle with it is that Marisa tells you that dairy and wheat/grain and sugar is bad for you. What I really wanted was to be able to eat like a normal (thin) person and I don't want someone telling me what I should and shouldn't eat, even if she is right! I want to decide that for myself. As a lifelong binge eater and dieter I want to be able to feel safe with ALL food, even when I have a meal out or at a friend's house. If I am served wheat and dairy and have been made to believe these are bad for me, it could throw me right back into my binge mode.

Having said that, I seem to have been able to override that part of the cd and I have found everything else about this process brilliant. I read the book once and I listened to the cd every day for 3 weeks, and still listen occasionally. I never was huge, but this has helped me shed weight that I have been trying to shed for a very long time. I have continued to eat bread and chocolate and cheese. In fact, for the first time ever I have a big tin of chocolate treats in my house to eat from whenever I fancy, something I could never have done before listening to the cd. I would have eaten the lot to get rid of them, and thought about them constantly until I had eaten them all. Now I can have chunky kit-kats in the house and not even think about them. Unreal! What Marisa has done for me is freed me from that obsession with food, which is fantastic. I eat exactly what I want, whenever I want, I just don't eat very much, and I hardly think about food in between meals. Funnily enough, several weeks in and I hardly touch alcohol (which Marisa doesn't even mention) when I used to drink most evenings, and I have not had a single biscuit. I just don't feel like it. So my body seems to have made up its own mind, with Marisa's help, as to what it wants or doesn't want. Now I eat cheese, bread, chocolate (and also lots of good food!) but only have occasional alcohol and no biscuits. Weird! I would like to shed another few pounds, which I am quite confident will happen.

One word of warning. After listening to the cd every day for 3 weeks I then thankfully took a couple of days off (because it does get a bit tedious) and immediately began to think about and crave food again. So I started listening again and the cravings went away. Now, 8 weeks in, I listen once a week, if that, and that seems fine. I am thrilled to bits with the whole process. Thank you Marisa.

Eton Sterling Silver Square Case Bangle - Hallmarked - 2562
Eton Sterling Silver Square Case Bangle - Hallmarked - 2562

5.0 out of 5 stars A really nice little watch, 6 July 2012
I wanted a watch that I could wear with silver bangles, and this really is it. It's very simple which I like, and classy. One word of warning for those with larger wrists, this is not a big bangle. It slips on via the wrist rather than over the hand, then simply hooks shut. Because it is quite a small bangle the watch doesn't slip around at all, which is a definite plus. I have quite small wrists and this fits perfectly. A really nice watch.

The Human Reality: A Reinterpretation of Our Origins and Evolution
The Human Reality: A Reinterpretation of Our Origins and Evolution
by Peter Prew

4.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating take on our origins and our right to be here at all, 4 Mar. 2007
It is easy to think that something has gone a little wrong in the evolution of mankind, but harder to work out exactly where we made that fatal wrong turn. This book provides an answer that is intriguing and has the ring of truth about it. It makes the claim that the move away from hunter-gathering and the move towards agriculture was a personal and ecological disaster. The societies that grew up around agriculture lost touch with their old way of life, and for the first time people became static, building the first hierarchical societies that became hostile to the wild environment as nature became perceived as an alien threat, a place of monsters and dragons and dark forces. The book explores the move from the first small enclaves of people huddled around their domestic animals and cultivated crops, to nations competing with each other for dwindling resources in a desperate battle to survive as convergent evolution drives them to clash dangerously. The components of modern life are put into perspective as the author shows how language, religion, culture, science etc. serve to reinforce our belief in our own 'specialness'. And how our successful, proud societies all ultimately succumb to a state of paranoia, brutality, mental illness, and war. The author shows us the ultimate and inevitable showdown with nature. Global warming could be that line drawn in the sand as nature and we go to war... It is a fascinating read.