Profile for Charles Woodard > Reviews

Content by Charles Woodard

Charles Woodard "cbw" (Dallas, Texas USA)

Parry: Orchestral/ Choral Works (Amanda Roocroft/ BBC National Orchestra of Wales/ Neeme Järvi) (Chandos: CHAN 10740)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Parry, 31 Oct 2012
It is very exciting to hear the Magnificat, Te Deum, England, The Birds and Glories of Our Blood and State for the first time. I agree with the other reviewer that the Te Deum is the best of the premiere pieces. It is absolutely wonderful. I have Boult's recording of the March from the Birds, but the rest of this incidental music was new to me and delightful. I disagree somewhat with the other reviewer's comment about Jerusalem. Although I love Elgar's re-orchestration, I thought Parry's version with the first verse sung by soprano was touching and powerful, especially knowing its association with the early women's movement in Britain. I love this disc and I think it will be a good seller. Congratulations to Chandos, Jarvi, Wales and its Prince for their advocacy and love of those inimitable Parry perorations!!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 1, 2012 8:17 PM GMT