Profile for R. Carter > Reviews

Content by R. Carter

R. Carter "Bob" (Preston, Lancs England)

Page: 1 | 2
Pol Pot: The History of a Nightmare
Pol Pot: The History of a Nightmare
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very detailed book on one of the monsters of the 20th century., 2 Aug 2014
The first part of the book goes some way to help you understand the reasons why Year Zero happened - a duplicitous government trying to control outside influences by playing one against the other, persecution of communists, and suspected communists across SE Asia and the mistreatment of the working peasants of Cambodia. Add to that the support given to North Vietnam by allowing the Ho Chi Minh trail to run through Eastern Cambodia, and refuges for the Viet Cong leading to the massive bombardment from the USA. An interesting comparison between what Pol Pot was trying to do being influenced by what the French did in their revolutions. Overall a very good book, easy to read, although the Cambodian names of people and places is confusing at times - have a map of the area handy to help - a problem I find with Kindle editions, but easily solved with a google for the map and a print off,

Snatched
Snatched
Price: 2.99

3.0 out of 5 stars OK., 16 Mar 2014
This review is from: Snatched (Kindle Edition)
An easy read but too many co incidences and the grammar was poor. Felt as if it was written by a student. I will read another of the authors books as despite my criticism it was an enjoyable read.

Book 1. Warning Order Belize (British Army on the Rampage)
Book 1. Warning Order Belize (British Army on the Rampage)
Price: 1.99

1.0 out of 5 stars High School BS, 16 Jan 2014
I bought this as the author is local to us, but was disappointed and gave up after a few chapters - the tone of the book is what you would expect from a schoolboy with an over excited imagination.

Kindle Fire HD 7", HD Display, Wi-Fi, 8 GB - Includes Special Offers
Kindle Fire HD 7", HD Display, Wi-Fi, 8 GB - Includes Special Offers

4.0 out of 5 stars Bargain Tablet, 16 Jan 2014
I bought this as a special offer - it was free with a years subscription with a newspaper - the retail price of 119 though is a good price for what we need it for - it doesn't have a camera and is wifi only but that suits us - we don't use Skype and its prime use is for replacing a daily newspaper - It automatically adds books from my Kindle account so I only need to take one on my daily commute. Although it does replace my Kindle paperwhite in function, I still prefer the paperwhite for book reading as it is lighter and the battery lasts much longer - but for the daily paper - including all the puzzles, photos and video clips the Kindle Fire HD is perfect. It is also easy to switch to a browser for a quick web browse and the BBC Iplayer works well with clear picture and good sound. The ITV player cannot be used with the KF HD due to compatability issues - get these sorted and the rating will rise to 5 stars

A Tourist in the Yucatan
A Tourist in the Yucatan
Price: 2.55

2.0 out of 5 stars Interesting story but badly written, 26 Jun 2013
I found this book by following a recomendation on a review on an aother thriller. The reviewer had written "a good book but not as good as "A Tourist in theYucatan" and I fell for it. I read the book while on holiday, so it passed a few hours while sitting in the sun. However, the characters were unconvincing, the plot thin and un believeable and it felt like a book written for a school essay. It wasn't expensive in terms of cost, but I will never get those few hours back. Don't waste your time on this poor effort.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 24, 2013 12:00 AM BST

Indian Tales
Indian Tales
Price: 0.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Reliving books of my youth, 23 Mar 2013
This review is from: Indian Tales (Kindle Edition)
Growing up in the1950's and as a keen boy scout, I read many of Rudyard Kipling's books, starting with The Jungle Book and Kim, and have not read any since my early teens. I found this on Kindle so thought I would give it a go. I found the writing style surprisingly modern and easy to read, except for when the author starts writing in the accent of the characters in his stories - Irish in particular. There are some good comparisons to be made between life in the Raj and Afghanistan in Kiplings day to the situation today, which made me think that if Bush and Blair had read some more Kipling, we may not be embroiled in the struggle over there now. There are also some very poignant tales of the poverty affecting the local poor of India, as seen through the eyes of the British. A good read

Think of the Children (Season One: Book 4) (Jessica Daniel)
Think of the Children (Season One: Book 4) (Jessica Daniel)
Price: 3.29

3.0 out of 5 stars A Good British detective tale, 23 Mar 2013
I quite like Kerry Wilkinson's books and have read all of them so far. This one features Jessica Daniel on a missing child case.
Although the story flows at a fair pace, I find they lack the punch and tension in books by my favourite authors of detective stories - Lee Child and Michael Connelly. Still, they are based in Manchester which I know well, and they story kept me intregued til the end. Please don't elaborate on Jessica's love life - I hate thrillers which are padded out with too much personal stuff- Alex Cross is a prime example of this.

Going Back Home [DVD] [2005]
Going Back Home [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ Dr.Feelgood
Price: 13.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic tribute to proper R & B, 11 Mar 2013
This review is from: Going Back Home [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
Like the previous reviewer I dug out this DVD which I bought when it was released on the news of Wilko's illness. Most of the negative comments on this DVD refer to the shortness of the set on the DVD compared to the CD - I understand that this was due to the original film stock being damaged and what we see is all that was good enough to use. Having seen Dr Feelgood many times in sleazy pubs during the 70's I was delighted to be able to relive part of my youth with this short video. It captures everything I remember of the Feelgoods at their peak - loud, energetic, grubby and slightly worrying.

This and Oil City Confidential are a brilliant tribute and reminder of how rock music was always meant to be, and with the passing of Wilko coming, a era will be gone forever.

I was priveleged to get tickets for one of Wilko's farewell gigs in Holmfirth and he was a truly amazing guitarist with terrific stage presence and charisma.

Thanks Wilko and Lee for the memories!

One Snowy Night Before Christmas
One Snowy Night Before Christmas
Price: 1.53

4.0 out of 5 stars Good seasonal tale, 24 Dec 2012
This is totally different to anything I usually read, but I enjoyed the read although I felt the sex scenes were a little drawn out - not like real life at all! :-)

Amazon Kindle Lighted Leather Cover, Wine Purple (will only fit Kindle)
Amazon Kindle Lighted Leather Cover, Wine Purple (will only fit Kindle)

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth the wait, 28 Dec 2011
Been waiting for this to be available since buying my new Kindle in November 2011, 6 weeks ago. It completes my Kindle - the reader fits perfectly with one click, all buttons and ports are easily accessible, it has a nice quality feel, although the flick out light at the top seems a little flimsy - we shall see how long it lasts. Nice colour leather and the stitching and embossing looks good quality. When the Kindle is inserted it feels much more sturdy and weighty. In use, the light gives good coverage of the screen, enabling me to read the Kindle at night without disturbing my other half.If I drop off whilst reading, a common occurance, the light is turned off as the Kindle turns itself off, reducing battery usage.

I would give this top marks. except for the feel of the light - don;t get me wrong, it works perfectly and it may last for years - it just feels flimsy so just 4 stars.

Page: 1 | 2