Profile for Valen's Shadow > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Monument 1459W Master Plunger Sink and Waste Pipe Unblocker
Monument 1459W Master Plunger Sink and Waste Pipe Unblocker

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 25 Aug 2014
Whenever my bathroom sink gets clogged up this plunger quickly unblocks better than any other plunger I have tried. The downside is this thing is huge unlike a regular plunger. I have found you can hear the suction sounding like it's coming through the bath as well, so would probably clear of the most stubborn blockages.

Amplicomms BigTel 201 Big Button Cordless Single DECT Additional Handset - White
Offered by Hearing Direct

3.0 out of 5 stars Does a good enough job, 25 Aug 2014
I was looking for a nice and loud speaker phone to go hands-free with and this seems to be the best I have found. However while this is quite loud it is at the cost of clarity of the phone call. I don't know why so many hands-free phones don't have sufficient volume so if for example you wanted to do some washing up while talking to someone, you could hear what they're saying loud and clear. Anyway this does the job even if it isn't perfect.

Sanctuary [DVD] [2009] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Sanctuary [DVD] [2009] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Russell Wong
Offered by supermart_usa

2.0 out of 5 stars Save your money it's not worth bothering with!, 25 Aug 2014
Not really a bad film per se as there are some decent-ish fight sequences. However there's nothing really exciting to make this worth recommending to anyone. Some of the action sequences were well and truly making my eyes roll into the back of my head. Not that I expected a great story but there's little of interest to make up for the mediocre action. If you're expecting something like a Tony Jaa film, you will be hugely disappointed. This isn't in the film you're looking for…

Compressed Air Duster Can HFC Free Gas Flammable 400ml (2 PACK)- AIR DUSTER used as keyboard cleaner, Printer Cleaner, Laptop Cleaner, Xbox 360 & Playstation Console cleaner and most hard to reach electrical equipement.
Offered by Rybond

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the money!, 25 Aug 2014
I thought my PC was on its last legs, making so much noise so I thought I had nothing to lose trying this product. Opening up the case and giving it a good clean with with this can of compressed air. Now everything seems to be running in tip top condition. I would definitely recommend this for someone wanting to try and breathe life into an old PC.

My Young Auntie [DVD] [1981] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
My Young Auntie [DVD] [1981] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Chia-Liang Liu
Offered by supermart_usa

2.0 out of 5 stars Hardly A Classic In My Opinion, 25 Sep 2013
While I really didn't like this movie I should say that the final fight featuring Lau Kar Leung was very good and well worth checking out. I just don't think sitting through two hours of really bad comedy is worth the wait. Kara Hui is gorgeous as ever as the leading lady and while the choreography is good, there is just something I can't quite put my finger on about her, but I don't see her as a kung fu legend. I just don't rate her skills.

I felt the same when I watched another of her films "Lady is the Boss" that she just isn't a great lead and her fighting doesn't exhilarate me. Now Lau Kar Leung he is something else when he is on screen unleashing his kung fu! He is always a joy to watch as a fan of kung fu cinema. In both this movie "My Young Auntie" and "Lady Is the Boss" Kara Hui thankfully steps away from the limelight for the finale and the old master shows how it's supposed to be done, in great style. Perhaps an extra star is deserved for the finale but given how much I had to suffer through watching the whole movie, I've not given it.

Hsiao Hou who co-stars in this movie is truly awesome in "Mad Monkey Kung Fu" (if you haven't seen this I recommend that you pick up this classic from Amazon as soon as possible) but really doesn't get a chance to shine and is really wasted here.

All in all this movie is bogged down in lame comedy with some brief good bits of kung fu sporadically spread throughout the movie. For me the story didn't do enough to keep my interest and there wasn't enough fight sequences to really thrill me. I would recommend passing on this and checking out other films by Lau Kar Leung like "Heroes of the East", "Eight Diagram Pole Fighter", "Martial Club" , "Mad Monkey Kung Fu" and lastly but by no means least "36th Chamber of Shaolin".

Brave [DVD]
Brave [DVD]
Dvd ~ Mike B
Offered by videosanddvds

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Bad, Not That Good Either, 13 Aug 2013
This review is from: Brave [DVD] (DVD)
I found this to be an okay martial arts movie but nothing particularly special and there is so much better out there. However, if you've seen the best of the rest and you're looking for something to pass an hour and a half, having nothing better to do. Then maybe this film is the you? If you're expecting something with top quality Thai Martial arts action along the lines of Ong Bak, Warrior King, Born to Fight or even Bangkok Adrenaline then maybe you should look elsewhere.

There's nothing that you haven't seen in any of those movies before and done much better. What action there is is tightly framed and it feels like you're too close to the action to actually appreciate it. Shaky camerawork and fast cut editing doesn't help things either. The movie is filled with stunts and fight action and yet again there is nothing outstanding... Although it does surpass what passes for action in Hollywood these days. I also didn't think any of the fights were particularly good and perhaps with a bit more effort this movie could have been more worthwhile.

The story is simple and the acting is passable but I suspect the only reason you're going to watch this is for the action.

Anyway my verdict is catch it on TV should it ever be shown, rent it all buy it extremely cheaply. There are so many better movies you could pick up from Amazon, so the choice is yours.

5/10

Battlestar Galactica: Blood and Chrome [Blu-ray + UV Copy] [2012] [Region Free]
Battlestar Galactica: Blood and Chrome [Blu-ray + UV Copy] [2012] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Luke Pasqualino

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Promising Pilot, 8 Aug 2013
I have to say after an extraordinary beginning to reboot of Battlestar Galactica the writers lost the plot in my honest opinion. However, this pilot has reaffirmed my interest in Battlestar Galactica.I was extremely hesitant about this pilot movie having seen the show I loved going from greatness to mediocrity. But I would definitely say Blood and Chrome delivered an extremely solid, action packed pilot movie that could have gone on to reinvigorate the Battlestar Galactica universe.

I like how generally stylistically how the action looked, less zoom and chaos. The shaky cam effect that came to annoy me was dialled down. As you would come to expect the CGI looked very good and the overall production looked very big for a TV movie... I should think the cost factor is why this never got made to a full series.

I still have my doubts if this ever gets picked up whether it will live up to its promise. Nevertheless it leaves BSG on a positive note and I'm sure one that most fans will appreciate.

Shaw Brothers -Secret Service of the Imperial Court (uncut)
Shaw Brothers -Secret Service of the Imperial Court (uncut)
Offered by dvd-uncut

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good Shaw Brothers swordplay movie, 5 Aug 2013
I knew very little about this movie before watching it other than it starred Leung Kar Yan AKA Beardy. I expected this to be a kung fu movie and was surprised when it turned out to be a swordplay film. I must admit I'm not the biggest fan of swordplay action but with strong acting performances from the entire cast, a good story and some entertaining action. My interest in the movie never dwindled and was gripped from beginning to end. In my opinion the movie had a very Japanese feel to it, particularly as certain characters tried to end their lives after failing at their tasks. Either way I'd definitely recommend watching "Secret Service of the Imperial Court".

36 Deadly Styles [1980] [DVD]
36 Deadly Styles [1980] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Siu Hung Cham

2.0 out of 5 stars save your money!, 5 Aug 2013
I really don't know what to say about this film that is positive. Hwang Jang Lee didn't make for a great villain, as he really should. The movie doesn't feature much in the way of great kung fu and overall I can't really remember much about the movie at all. It's instantly forgettable. There's lots of terrific movies to spend your money on on Amazon... Why not try Return of the Five Deadly Venoms (Crippled Avengers), Shaolin Rescuers, 36 Chamber's Of Shaolin, Eight Diagram Pole Fighter's or maybe Heroes of the East.. all worth adding to your kung fu collection unlike this movie.

The Master Strikes [DVD]
The Master Strikes [DVD]
Dvd ~ Shi-Kwan Yen

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Bad, Not Great, 23 July 2013
This review is from: The Master Strikes [DVD] (DVD)
I found this to be a decent kung fu movie with some very good moments but never really maintained that and peaked as high as I would've liked. Meng Yuen Man was very good yet failed to live up to his performance in the Shaw Bros movie "The Fighting Fool", I guess due to the choreography wasn't quite as exciting. Casanova Wong gave a mixed performance as a crazy man but his real strength was in his kicking and martial arts sequences, looking very good. When you're watching a film like this you don't expect too much from the movie between fight scenes, but I found it rather dull even for a kung fu movie, lessening my viewing pleasure as a whole. The training sequence in the film was rather pointless, short and uninspired. The finale was good but I'm not sure if I will watch this film again.

The movie was in letterbox widescreen although I have a feeling it may have been cropped, with parts happening offscreen that perhaps should have been seen. The English dub was pretty terrible, worse than many of these UK kung fu movie DVD releases. It sounded like the dubbing artists were shouting at the microphone for most of the film which I found quite annoying and the dialogue wasn't clear. The picture quality was not very good but watchable. However, had I zoomed in I think the picture would have become unwatchable.

6 1/2 out of 10