Profile for E. Tsang > Reviews

The Thief Taker
by C. S. Quinn
Edition: MP3 CD

5.0 out of 5 stars A clever plot, a good read, 28 Sept. 2015
This review is from: The Thief Taker (MP3 CD)
The plot is quite clever. The story was weaved into the English history after the Civil War, when the plague devastated London. Witch craft, hatred in the name of god, betrayal, class and counterfeiting all enriched the story. The writing was good. The pace was fast. The book was a joy to read.

The Joy of Oysters
The Joy of Oysters

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything about oysters that I didn't know I want to know, 10 Sept. 2014
I bought this book out of curiosity: what can the author tell me about this simple food, oysters? Is this book a collection of boring recipes, half of which being impractical (involving 45 steps, using ingredients that I would never find in this part of the world)?

As soon as I started reading the book, I was pleasantly surprised. I couldn't put the book down (actually it was a Kindle) once I started. The author's character popped out of the pages. The book was a pleasant read and never boring.

The book is very informative. The author has conducted serious research before writing this book. The book covers the biology and physiology of oysters, a bit of literature, as well as ways to preparing oysters for food. It starts with the basics, which helps someone like me who has never opened an oyster before.

Most of the recipes are simple and practical, but the book also includes one or two complicated ones. I guess they are intended for sophisticated readers; for me, I enjoyed them over imagination (which is quite satisfying). The book also covers foreign recipes, from Roman (with adaptation) to Asian.

The book was seasoned by a dash of Jamie Oliver, which makes it just a bit more interesting.

The LION Way: Learning plus Intelligent Optimization
The LION Way: Learning plus Intelligent Optimization
by Roberto Battiti

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative and well written, 11 Mar. 2014
This is an excellent book in machine learning and optimization, written by world-experts in the field. The book is informative and lively. The authors use ample illustrations and examples. The concepts are explained thoroughly in simple terms, which makes the book easy to follow. This book introduces concepts that every computer scientist, operational researcher or computational intelligent users should know. It is a valuable reference to both students and practitioner.

Machine learning is one of the most important parts of artificial intelligence. A good book in machine learning is valuable. This book has the quality that matches the best ones published so far. This book covers both supervised learning and unsupervised learning in depth. It also relates them to applications.

Optimization is an important subject. Optimization problems can be found everywhere. No other book could possibly have explained Reactive Search Optimization better than this book, as the authors are inventors and experts in this method. In a nutshell, Reactive Search Optimization is a method that integrates online machine learning techniques into search heuristics.

I find the example applications particularly useful: Text and web mining (for studying web pages and social networks) and collaborative filtering and recommendation (as in internet shopping) are both topical. They are both important big-data applications.

GFM Multi pocketed Small Light weight Fabric Backpack Rucksack for Every day use,travel, leisure etc
Offered by GFM (UK) - Expedited Service Available at the Checkout
Price: £11.99 - £19.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Nice design, but poor workmanship, 12 Oct. 2013
The size of the bag suits me. The design is fine. Unfortunately, the seam of an inner pocket was completely torn across 2 months since the bag arrived. This was the pocket under the cover pocket (where the logo was placed), so it was a pockets that I used fewer than 10 times. Besides, I have never put any sharp objects into it. The damage was simply due to poor workmanship: the seam was poorly done.
I don't think it is unreasonable to expect this bag to last for more than 2 months. It is possible that I have been unlucky, but the seller wasn't willing to replace it. Besides, they showed no interest in finding out exactly where and how it was torn. I feel that my investment was not protected at all, hence my one star rating.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 27, 2015 3:49 PM BST

I Take This Woman (Free Kindle Books Crime Thrillers and Mystery Book 1)
I Take This Woman (Free Kindle Books Crime Thrillers and Mystery Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars A well written fiction on serious matters. An enjoyable read., 26 Mar. 2013
One way to engage readers is to put them in situations that they are not familiar with. Not every reader would have bought a woman. Few would have explored the story on the other side of the trade. This may be a fiction, but it is on serious matters.

A non-trivial amount of research has gone into the book. The author is observant:
* How does a Thai bride feel when she moves to Britain? "It's dark here, as well as cold. No one ever mentioned the darkness."
* How does a poor, ill-treated Thai girl remain hopeful? "In Thailand, we believe if we good, we come back next life as a man."
The cultural differences highlighted make the book interesting.

The fast pace and the twists make the book engaging. Besides, I quite like the story being told by the individual characters. It shows how each character sees the world with different perspectives. It also brings the characters alive.

The book is enjoyable to read.

Glass Geishas
Glass Geishas
by Susanna Quinn

5.0 out of 5 stars Well researched, great story line, 28 May 2012
This review is from: Glass Geishas (Paperback)
Everyone has a story to tell. That includes western young girls who go to Japan (possibly in jeans) for fun and a small fortune, the girls (in excessive makeups) who either want to get out or to hang on to the "easy money" (never easy either way), the mama-sans who live off hostesses and a Japanese geisha who knows how to engage men, but not how to resolve her own problem. Wonderful stories, fascinating interactions.

This book is well-researched. With a journalist's sharpness, the author touches the nerves of the sex business in Japan. What is a hostess? a prostitute? a geisha? Are they all the same? or are they quite different? How is it like living in it? After reading the book, I realise that "Happy Ending" takes different meanings to different people.

The story is engaging. Once started, it is difficult to stop reading. This book reminds me of "Spirited Away [DVD]", one of my favourite cartoon movies made by Hayao Miyazaki: full of mystery, twists and suspension, spiced with Japanese culture and practices. I would love to see this book made into a movie!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 21, 2014 6:51 PM GMT

PK Green Black Flexible Foldable Silent Silicone USB UK Keyboard Washable
PK Green Black Flexible Foldable Silent Silicone USB UK Keyboard Washable
Offered by Fly Service

2.0 out of 5 stars Good idea, but not a practical keyboard, 5 Feb. 2012
It is a good idea to be able to curl the keyboard into a small bag, and use it anywhere. Unfortunately, this keyboard does not support fast typing. The touch is poor. One has to be very careful during typing, otherwise some characters that one keys in may not be registered. I bought the keyboard to be used on laptops, but most laptops' keyboards would support faster typing than this one. Therefore, this is not a practical keyboard at all.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Lost of sound quality, 16 Nov. 2011
With a wireless system, the guitarist is free to move and turn around. There is no worry about tripping over wires. With no reviews on this product on the web, I knew that I was taking a risk when I bought it. The sound quality is ok, but it is noticeably, though not significantly, poorer than the quality that I get when I use the cable. This means: by using this wireless system, one sacrifices sound quality for convenience. Some may find this sacrifice tolerable, but to me, I prefer to use the cable.

Aiptek 430022-UK PocketCinema Pico Portable Projector
Aiptek 430022-UK PocketCinema Pico Portable Projector

4.0 out of 5 stars Good projector with good functions, but not the end product, 9 Jun. 2011
The Aiptek PocketCinema V50 is a mini projector. The projector only weighs 225g. The quality of projection is excellent. It comes with speakers, which is handy. It can read from SD cards and memory sticks. With some work, it can also projector from a PC, which is good for presentation on the road. This is a valuable feature for me. It can show photos, videos and converted pdf and Powerpoint files (see below). Attention has been paid to details in the software, which is pleasing to use.

The projector contains its internal memory. It contains some photos for testing the projector, which is handy. The projector driver and file conversion software are stored in the internal memory. This is very sensible. So when I visit other sites, I could use my projector on their computers if they are willing to install the software. It is not as ideal as plug-and-play, but it gives a means of projecting when needed.

There are drawbacks though:
1. The charger is very heavy. For a portable device, a much lighter charger should be used.
2. The buttons are fiddly. They are sometimes too sensitive, sometimes insensitive.
3. It is a bit noisy (though one reviewer on Amazon considered it quiet).
4. It does not work with a Mac!
5. With a special cable, which Aiptek also sells, it supposedly can work with iPhone. I bought the cable, but failed to make it work. I'm going to return it.
6. Powerpoint and PDF files have to be converted. It is not ideal, but it provides a means to present these files.

Overall, I am happy with the quality of the projection. However, the projector is not the end product yet.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 17, 2011 10:31 PM GMT

Path to Wing Chun
Path to Wing Chun
by Samuel Kwok

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful reference at introductory level, print quality could be better, 21 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Path to Wing Chun (Paperback)
The book could be useful as a reference, though it is not a substitute to learning from a master.
I believe the techniques shown are sound -- bear in mind that there are many branches of Wing Chun.
Print quality could be better.

Page: 1 | 2