Profile for L. K. Daniel > Reviews

Content by L. K. Daniel

L. K. Daniel "Laura-Kym" (England)

Sew Pretty Homestyle: Over 35 Irresistible Projects to Fall in Love with
Sew Pretty Homestyle: Over 35 Irresistible Projects to Fall in Love with
by Tone Finnanger

5.0 out of 5 stars Tonne Finnegar addiction, 17 Aug 2009
I am pretty addicted to Tonne's books, and this was no let down. It is full to the brim with gorgeous and homely items with themes and ideas that can all be intermingled. Most rooms of the house are given a chapter but it just serves as a structure for the book rather than an instruction - I have made a number of things as gifts, as well as things for my own home. There are a number of soft toys (Cats, dogs, angels) as well as useful things such as pretty pincushions, bags, slippers, wall hangings. All of the descriptions of how to create the patterns are as always, straight forward without being too prescriptive - leaving you to create your own magic using the templates. I flick through this book on a regular basis taking inspiratipon from the photography that is also a feast for the eyes and am still impressed with the coverage - its very good value for money in my opinion.
Buy this for yourself as a keen fabric and sewing lover, or for a friend, mother, sister as a fabulous gift - they'll love it! Happy sewing!

Bodum UK Travel press, 0.47l
Bodum UK Travel press, 0.47l

5.0 out of 5 stars What a cracker....!, 17 Aug 2009
It does exactly what it says on the tin....it's a brilliant little gadet, purchased for my hubby who was forever making up a huge cafetiere just to get a nice cup and wasting two thirds of it. The rubber seal around the 'plunger' means there are no grains that escape to the finished drink, and the handy flip lid allows you to pour milk and sugar in with ease.
My ONLY grumble is the writing on the mug itself - I assumed from the picture it was on a piece of paper on the inside....other than that, its a terrific price for what it does - well done Bodum!

Cakes to Inspire and Desire: Over 35 Unique Designs, from Mini-Cakes and Simple Shapes to Beaded Delights and Fabulous Flowers
by Lindy Smith

2.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what I was looking for...., 17 Aug 2009
This book does have some lovely pictures, and as one reviewer has pointed out - the author is clearly one who is inspired by art in general. The reason for my purchase was however more practical - I was looking for a book that would hold my hand and take me to a sligthly higher skill level of cake decorating. I have done amateur Birthday and Anniversary cakes for friends and family, and wanted to take the next step - there are some useful pages at the front of the book, but it VERY QUICKLY steps up a pace and is swiftly into creations that is way beyond the average home-baker. Obviously, this is just an opinion, and if you're looking for a real challenege then this could be for you - but anything that takes me more than a day to do looses my attention I'm afraid, I simply don't have the time.
In summary, gorgeous book, yummy looking cakes and a good few hints and tips but not enough advice to make me want to keep it. Some of the designs were slightly outdated for me too, from the front cover I was expecting 'funky' all the way through...

Crafting Christmas Gifts: 25 Adorable Projects Featuring Angels, Snowmen, Reindeer and Other Yuletide Favourites
by Tone Finnanger

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous Christmas inspiration, 14 Aug 2009
If you're anything like me you'll be looking to buy this book for inspiration as well as specific projects - and I truly feel it provides both. I always anticipate the odd pattern that doesn't appeal to me, but I was so pleased with the book - I have shown it to numerous fabric loving friends and family members.
There are a high number of figures/animals including Reindeers, Snowmen, penguins, Father Christmas' and the obligatory angels. It also has the added extras such as varying 'stockings', hearts, gift bags, hangings, applique projects and a tea cosy!
It's a gorgeous book that I can't put down at the moment - trying to convince myself that I WILL be prepared for Christmas 2009. (I'm not taking any bets)
If you enjoy creating little festive items as gifts and/or to spread cheer around the house for guests then this is for you.