Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
The Shield - Season 1 [DVD] [2003]
The Shield - Season 1 [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Michael Chiklis

3.0 out of 5 stars The tv equivalent of a good airport holiday book, 26 Jun. 2008
I started watching The Shield since it was on the shelf in my library. At first I thought Vic Mackey was just a poor man's Grant Mitchell, not that I think much of Grant Mitchell. The filming also seemed horrible, meant to be in the style of independent films and also to make it seem more real, like a fly on the wall documentary. To me it just seemed amateurish (like many independent films).

However the supporting actors were believable and likeable and the stories were interesting and gradually I got drawn in to the series and quite enjoyed it. I still think the strike team are a bit naff but they work ok in the piece and the series as a whole is worth a watch. 3.5 stars less .5 for the camerawork.

Prison Break - Season 1 [DVD]
Prison Break - Season 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Wentworth Miller
Offered by A2Z Entertains

1.0 out of 5 stars Dull and implausible, 22 Feb. 2008
Really rather plodding fare with some very poor casting. Stacy Keach is good (as always) and Wentworth Miller seems to have something about him. T-Bag is a fun character and well played also but the rest just seem wooden. Peter Stormare who I liked in Fargo was awfully miscast as an Italian gangster; I can't remember a single wise-guy looking quite as shabby as his character.

The basic premise does seem interesting but there seem to be too many implausibilities which we are just expected to take on trust. The cliffhangers flow thick and fast, most of them rather boring and not really resolved very cleverly. They just got a bit tedious as they rolled around every ad break and before the credits. I felt none of the involvement that I had with 24 and even with the first couple of episodes of Alias. There were some interesting moments and about half-way through I recall I did want to see what might happen next but mostly it seemed pretty mindless - the sort of thing one could probably knit to. If I wasn't mildly autistic with a thing about completeness I probably would have given up before the end.

If you like Prison Break you'll probably like Alias too. Me, I think I'll give series 2 a miss.

Six Feet Under: Complete HBO Seasons 1-5 Collector's Edition (24 Disc Box Set) [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Richard Jenkins

5.0 out of 5 stars A lesser known masterpiece, 22 Feb. 2008
A quite wonderful story from Series 1 episode 1 to the final series 5 episode. I loved (and hated, in parts) the characters and lived their lives with them. The casting was faultless with some really captivating actors and a thoroughly believable and beguiling script.

Series 3, in my view, started to drag a little but then things picked up in series 4 and 5 and the last epsiode had me enraptured and not a little tearful as we said goodbye to the characters.

If you like to be entertained emotionally as well as cerebrally you will love the Fishers and their story.

The Shelters of Stone (Earth's Children)
The Shelters of Stone (Earth's Children)
by Jean M. Auel

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great instalment in the "Ayla Saga", 3 Jun. 2006
Possibly the weakest of the 5 books in the series so far but only because the situation does not allow so many extraordinarily absorbing scenarios. I have read the first few books several times now, the last time to re-familiarise myself with Ayla before reading this. And when the final book in the series comes out I shall no doubt start from the beginning yet again. All the books reward re-reading, particularly if, like me, you enjoy immersing yourself totally. They are comfortable and familiar on re-reading and yet reveal more each read. One of the strongest features for me is the sense that everything one reads about is based on fact, that Jean Auel has read the latest relevant research and has not altered anything "for the sake of the story" (which I think is often just a justification for laziness). It seems completely unnecessary given the extraordinary nature of the lives of these endlessly fascinating and complex societies. The science is fascinating and the story just adds richness on top. Interestingly I love the fact the main character is female and, although being male myself, I still identify more with Ayla than Jondalar.

Time Out [2001] [DVD] [2002]
Time Out [2001] [DVD] [2002]
Dvd ~ Aurélien Recoing
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars A totally absorbing study of a man and his attempt to escape from his life, 3 Jun. 2006
This review is from: Time Out [2001] [DVD] [2002] (DVD)
Although based on a true story that violent denouement is dropped which might make one wonder what is left. Yet, thanks to wonderful performances, from Aurelien Recoing in particular, one is drawn into the film, sharing his uncertainties and sense of apartness. The ending could be read in different ways depending on one's frame of mind and one is left with a feeling that one has been affected at a deeper level than most transient film experiences. Truly a film that stays with you. When you have watched some rubbish and want your 2 hours back watch this to make up for it.

I Am Charlotte Simmons
I Am Charlotte Simmons
by Tom Wolfe

5.0 out of 5 stars A fabulous novel from the US Dickens, 3 Jun. 2006
This review is from: I Am Charlotte Simmons (Paperback)
I enjoy Tom Wolfe's novels so much it is hard to put into words. Bonfire of the Vanities was the first I read and A Man in Full would be a candidate for a desert island book it was so good. Charlotte Simmons is maybe not quite up to those two but it is still streets ahead of most other novels. It is so rich the time just flies when one is absorbed in the life that Tom Wolfe draws you into. A book worthy of being read again and again and enjoying more and more on every read.

Desperate Housewives: Season 1 [DVD]
Desperate Housewives: Season 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Teri Hatcher

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent series but some minor flaws in the dvd, 31 Dec. 2005
Agree with other comments about the series but I found some irritations in the dvd issue. Firstly if you are going to have extras which reveal secrets please put them on the last disc. I was annoyed at starting to watch the first dvd extra only to see it reveal things I would rather not know and spoil my enjoyment. Too late I ended it.

Secondly the extended episode commentaries seem a little fatuous. To say that the added scene reveals a whole new interpretation of x's motives or some such implies rather more than that this was a deleted scene that was deemed superfluous. If it was so essential why drop it? In fact the scenes seem no different to the other deleted scenes. Probably the producers just wanted another "extra" which looked good.

All in all the judgment on the extras seems poor and a little insulting to one's intelligence. So 5 stars for the series less 1 for the arrangement of the extras.

The Last Place on Earth (Exploration)
The Last Place on Earth (Exploration)
by Roland Huntford

4.0 out of 5 stars An unworthy choice for the Exploration series, 29 July 2004
Having read the Gaston Rebuffat book, Starlight and Storm, and found it captivating, I was interested to see what other books had been chosen for this "adventure" series. Full marks to the Nansen choice and I shall probably buy the La Sault book. This choice is the odd one out however. It is not really a book about exploration, more a very unbalanced debunking of Scott. Having read other, more recent Scott novels, in particular by Ranulph Fiennes and Susan Solomon (see sjhocking2's review) Huntford's mean-mindedness and biased selection is apparent.
I read the original book when it came out in the 80s and enjoyed it immensely. Huntford writes a good book and it is worth reading. But it is not worthy of being included in this series.

Page: 1 | 2