Profile for Iain Summers > Reviews

Content by Iain Summers

Iain Summers "IainS."

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Merkur - Heavy Duty Slant Bar Safety Razor (37C)
Merkur - Heavy Duty Slant Bar Safety Razor (37C)
Offered by Gifts & Care

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple Stuff, 25 July 2016
- Get this razor.
- Get some Feather blades.
- Get a good technique.
You're sorted for superb BBS Shaves.

Muhle R89 Closed Comb Safety Razor
Muhle R89 Closed Comb Safety Razor
Offered by For Men's Grooming

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 2 Dec. 2015
There's a reason this is a best seller. It's great in every way and worth every penny.

The Land We Hold Dear
The Land We Hold Dear
Offered by positivenoise

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album. Buy it, 22 May 2015
This review is from: The Land We Hold Dear (Audio CD)
Great album. Buy it. In fact buy all of their stuff. They're authentic and they make a great noise.

Leyton Lighting 6w T5 tube (warm white, 225mm inc pins, CHECK LENGTH CAREFULLY)
Leyton Lighting 6w T5 tube (warm white, 225mm inc pins, CHECK LENGTH CAREFULLY)
Offered by Chivrose Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Look no further..., 11 Dec. 2014
Quick, easy and cheap. Buy with confidence.

The Train in the Night: A Story of Music and Loss
The Train in the Night: A Story of Music and Loss

4.0 out of 5 stars SSHL..., 25 April 2014
It took me a while to pluck up the courage to read this book as I experienced the same loss as Nick in 2009, mine is also permanent.

Eventually, I bought the book but still held off reading until finally manning up and starting it over Easter.

I'm not quite finished, it has been hard going, but up to now this book has made me mad, made me sad, made me laugh out loud and made me shake my head in recognition at the huffy reactions of doctors without a diagnosis and the feelings of hopelessness and fear. Along with the crushing doubts and, it has to be said, self pity.

Music was my life too and I was bereft when it was spirited away one night. After a couple of frustrating years, my "cure" was to go and see as much live music as I could. Cramming positive sound energy into the noisy, tinnitusy, full/empty space in my head. It sort of worked for me. At the moment I'm listening to Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds in mono and it sounds kind of OK.

This is not a great read, it's too personal for that, but it is an uncomfortable, accurate, authentic and very important one.

Escape Through History - Premium
Escape Through History - Premium

1.0 out of 5 stars Really? You thought this was good?, 23 April 2014
That'll teach me to listen to reviews. This is a really weak game, Poor graphics and really simple puzzles. I think it may be meant for Children? Invest your 61p in "The Room", at least that looks nice and presents something of a challenge. One to avoid, folks...

HTC Flip Case Cover with Built-In Stand for HTC One - Black/Red
HTC Flip Case Cover with Built-In Stand for HTC One - Black/Red

1.0 out of 5 stars Not suitable for the Black HTC One, 26 Feb. 2014
I purchased this case on 27th December last year, it's been used normally and is already damaging the finish on my black HTC One. The problem is that there's a ridge around the inside of the case which effctively polishes the phone through contact leaving unsightly shiny patches around the speaker areas. This cannot be removed and HTC UK will not give a damn when you complain, simply telling you to seek redress from your retailer. The case may be fine for other finishes but is a big no-no if your phone is black. There are better, cheaper alternatives available...

Standards
Standards

5.0 out of 5 stars Melting away the years...., 25 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Standards (Audio CD)
Lloyd's best since "Easy Pieces". He wears his influences more proudly now and even includes a cover. For all that this is a fiercely honest collection of songs which while sounding fresh still recalls the wonderful, swirling, tunefulness of his classic releases. Buy it. Buy it today...

A Multitude of Sins: Golden Brown, The Stranglers and Strange Little Girls
A Multitude of Sins: Golden Brown, The Stranglers and Strange Little Girls

3.0 out of 5 stars A mess of style over substance, 22 Jan. 2013
As a massive fan of the band and also a regular attender at gigs by both the original and the current line up, I found this book to be something of a mess. I think the writing has "stream of consciousness" pretensions but falls far short and just comes across as a random mish mash of hazy memories, ego driven ranting and name dropping. I also found the casual disrespect of Jean-Jacques Burnel annoying (John?), does this give credence to the rumour that Hugh's real reason for leaving the band was that he couldn't stand the fact that JJ was becoming the main focus in the band? It's a shame this book is so average because this band has a real and fascinating Rock'n'Roll story to tell. This isn't it.

The Very Best Of Patrick Fitzgerald: Safety Pin Stuck In My Heart
The Very Best Of Patrick Fitzgerald: Safety Pin Stuck In My Heart

5.0 out of 5 stars Deserves to be heard, 20 Jun. 2012
I've loved Patrik's stuff from the first time I heard him on the "Safety Pin" EP. I own everything he did on vinyl and played him regularly until the stylus gave way to the laser and his work was not to be tracked down on CD. Quite why he never broke through and why today he doesn't grace the acoustic stages of the countries festivals more often is something I find hard to fathom. "Live Out My Stars" is still the stand out track, but it is in great company. Unique, witty, poignant and biting in turns it shows Patrik as the master of his craft. If you've never heard him or if, like me, you're a longstanding fan you should buy this collection today. Something else which is strangely satisfying for an old punk; my kids HATE it! What better endorsement could there be?

Page: 1 | 2 | 3