Profile for Davey > Reviews

Davey "Davey" (UK)

Police, Lies and Alibis: The True Story of a Front Line Officer
Police, Lies and Alibis: The True Story of a Front Line Officer

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 18 Sept. 2013
This genre of book is not my usual reading material, but having read and thoroughly enjoyed the author's previous publications (Police, Crime & 999 and Shakespeare My Butt!),it was with high expectations that I began to read Police, Lies & Alibis ; I wasn't disappointed.In fact, this book exceeded my expectations. From the opening gambit I was hooked and read on into the small hours, laughing out loud, snorting and gripped by both the humour and tension that flew from each page. As I read this in hospital, I had several nurses at my bedside throughout the night to keep a check on my heart monitor which became erratic with every frequent giggling fit.

This was yet another fascinating insight into the role of a British frontline officer told in a unique and refreshingly humorous way. Clearly, John Donoghue is an intelligent man who has successfully balanced the portrayal of the serious side of policing with the minutiae of criminality.

There are many superlatives I could use to describe this book, but, ultimately,it is just downright fascinating and hilarious. Having read this, I can no longer look at Fairy Liquid without wincing nor can I step onto my bathroom scales without giggling (I think the author may have given Weight Watchers fodder for a new advertising campaign!)and, for someone who dislikes cheese, I now physically gag when I see Roquefort displayed on supermarket shelves. And funerals.....? I will now brace myself for the sounds and smells which may suddenly erupt from my loved one's coffin, and hope to God, I can control my inappropriate laughter (see Death Fart).

A wonderful, wonderful read. Highly recommended.

The Complete Blood, Sweat and Tea
The Complete Blood, Sweat and Tea
by Tom Reynolds

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, 5 Sept. 2011
As a former NHS professional and teacher working in child and adolescent psychiatry, I frequently crossed paths with the police and ambulance service. Having read this book, my support and admiration for these wonderful men and women has increased even further.
I laughed out loud, had several lumps in my throat and was even reduced to tears on occasion. This is an excellent behind the scenes peek at what paramedics encounter on a day to day basis. An extremely interesting and highly enjoyable read. If you enjoy true life accounts of what it is like to be a member of the Uk's emergency services, I would strongly recommendPolice, Crime & 999: The True Story of a Front Line Officer.

Nee Naw: Real Life Dispatches From Ambulance Control
Nee Naw: Real Life Dispatches From Ambulance Control
by Suzi Brent

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Book!, 5 Sept. 2011
As someone who has had to rely on the ambulance service to save my life on 3 separate occasions, this book was an utterly fascinating and compelling read and served to make me respect and admire these exceptional men and women even more than I already did.
Some stories were hilarious whilst others were truly heartbreaking. A brilliant insight into the world behind the 999 calls. Highly recommended and easy to read.
If you enjoy tales about the emergency services, then I would urge you to read Police, Crime & 999: The True Story of a Front Line Officer.

Rapid Response: True Stories of My Life as a Paramedic
Rapid Response: True Stories of My Life as a Paramedic
by Lysa Walder

5.0 out of 5 stars fascinating and moreish, 4 Sept. 2011
I couldn't put this book down. What a fascinating insight into the paramedic world. Some of the stories are heartbreaking whilst others are very humorous indeed but all compelled me to keep turning each page to discover what was coming next. Being someone who has had their life saved by paramedics and other emergency services, it was truly intriguing to discover what goes on behind the scenes in the lives of these most amazing of people. Highly recommended!!
If you enjoy true life tales about the emergency services, I would urge you to read Police, Crime & 999: The True Story of a Front Line Officer.

Police, Crime & 999: The True Story of a Front Line Officer
Police, Crime & 999: The True Story of a Front Line Officer

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly enjoyable, 30 Jun. 2011
A very very funny, light-hearted read, making this a hugely enjoyable book. This would make an excellent induction manual for new police officers.Refreshingly different from all the other police books currently on offer. Highly recommended.

Shakespeare My Butt!: Marsupial Elvis to No Place ... Ramblings, Meanderings, Digressions... and a Dog

5.0 out of 5 stars Very funny book, 21 Aug. 2008
"Shakespeare My Butt" had me laughing out loud countless times : Dogs, military insights and escapades during the Cold War, religion, meanderings around some very suspectly named places in the UK ( not for the easily offended), heart-warming father/ daughter relationships, childhood reminiscences and the often outrageous abuse of the British 999 system to name but a few.

John Donoghue's digressional style would indicate that he suffers from Attention Deficit Disorder but in his case, this is most definitely an asset rather than a disability as his "flighty" mind only adds to the charm and humour of this comic gem.

His style is very warm and engaging which makes this book a real page-turner. In addition to being very very funny, informative and most certainly educational, it is also extremely well written. Deborah's unfortunate description of her less than satisfactory campsite shower experience is worth the price of the book alone....

A highly recommended read.

Now Then Lad...: Tales of a country bobby
Now Then Lad...: Tales of a country bobby
by Mike Pannett

4.0 out of 5 stars Now Then Lad, 17 Aug. 2008
What a thoroughly enjoyable read!! I can't wait to set off on my travels in order to see for myself the breathtaking beauty of North Yorkshire as so exquisitely described in Mike Pannett's book. I'll definitely be spending half-term in this country.......
It's also a fascinating insight into the daily life of a country bobby with many an amusing tale. Well worth the money.....!If you enjoyed this book then I would heartily recommend "Shakespeare My Butt" by John Donoghue - also a serving police officer. It's a gem of a debut novel full of hilarious tales of British places, military life and the outrageous abuse of the 999 system. Not to be missed......!!!