Profile for Pat > Reviews

Content by Pat

Pat (Dumfries United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2
The Boys: Highland Laddie v. 8
The Boys: Highland Laddie v. 8
by Garth Ennis
Price: 10.39

1.0 out of 5 stars Let's be honest - it's rubbish., 1 Nov 2011
The Boys started out as a great follow up to the Preacher. It has now descended into, I can only guess, something that the author is completely bored with. Or, he is deliberately trying to annoy and aggravate his fan base.
I don't need to tell you what this one's all about, the other reviews have done that.

Now, the artwork. I honestly could have done better - really. What a fantastically poor effort. I take it the artist doesn't see himself doing much work in the future. Annie is so poorly drawn, sometimes you wonder who it is. Just as well Hughie has a goatee - even Butcher would struggle to recognise him if he came to this stupid town. I meant to cite individual frames, to highlight the poor artistry. There are quite a few anatomy problems. Yes, it's a comic, but come on!

I also think the author is dissing his fan base by allowing such poor artwork. I'm not buying the next issue - the cover is available on Amazon and the artwork is crap! I mean, why do the 'pretty' girls on both ends have arms that any bloke would be proud of? And that stomach on the girl on the left, eeurrgh. Seen her legs? I take it they are meant to be lady boys? I'll wait for the reviews before deciding to buy. Somebody else can waste their money. I'm off to reread The Preacher.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 13, 2011 9:54 PM GMT

Mathematics for Physics
Mathematics for Physics
by M. M. Woolfson
Price: 32.39

3.0 out of 5 stars Maths or physics?, 13 Jan 2010
I've only borrowed this book from the library to fill in some gaps in my knowledge, however on looking at other chapters I keep thinking that this book has quite a natural and easy flowing style. Concepts are introduced and explained clearly with good worked examples. There are plenty of questions with decent solutions for most.
I would say that it is primarily a physics book - duh! Signal processing is given three chapters. But there are gems in it for mathematical orientated people. I've found a few explanations that have made me go 'ah'. Also a few different approaches here and there that I thought were neat and very enlightening. Complex numbers, partial diff, amongst others.
When stuck, I always find it helpful to refer to other sources to see their approach. For basic maths, as it says, it is intended for first and second year, I'd say it's not bad.
I'd also say that it's a good review/refresher of applied math techniques - handy for a reference.
I bought Riley's book - it is good, but it's heavy - too heavy in parts, but it covers much more material. This book gains an upper hand in some of the authors' comments about various topics - I feel that the comments give great pointers, warnings, limitations, etc. It reads like a lecture; there's a personal element. Riley is devoid of this.

I'm using this book for an intro to quantum mechanics and have to say that on the whole it is suiting me with its style. The font is nice and easy to read, plenty of gaps for margin notes.
As I say, it's a good reference book and possibly would be a handy book to have for a different point of view or a different perspective. It also provides many programs for math development/analysis of problems and possibly computer programming?
I wrote this review in response to the A grade student who should have bought veg. I've yet to find a book that covers everything to your satisfaction - just look at the reviews for Boas, Riley, etc. The veg person provides no reasoning for criticising the book. That says a lot to me.
I'd give the book 3.5 stars; I'd like to see more rigour but then it is a book for physicists. Maths is hard and it gets harder. Why would anybody like a book that gets harder?
I would be surprised if this book is not required reading for some courses.
So, for an alternative take on the hard stuff, it's good and a breath of fresh air.

Another Kind of Blues
Another Kind of Blues
Price: 16.16

5.0 out of 5 stars Crash course in good music, 10 Jun 2009
This review is from: Another Kind of Blues (Audio CD)
Yes, the UK Subs were one of the original punk bands, but for me it's timeless rock and roll. See for yourself on You Tube - Top of the Pops no less!
This is a great album; well mixed, beautiful sounding guitar, throbbing bubbling bass, solid drumming, then there's Charlie's vocals. He could even sing a tune.
As for the lyrics - short simple songs; you will sing 'born a rocker die a rocker'; you will sing 'young criminal', etc, and you may wonder what a suss is or was(?) as well as a B1C.
Anyway, you like punk? You need this for a history lesson, and to see how some music can stand the test of time, and to see how you are being cheated by most modern derivatives.
You like pumped up rock'n'roll? You need this.
I'm off to live in a car...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 14, 2013 6:41 PM BST

How to Win Every Argument: The Use and Abuse of Logic
How to Win Every Argument: The Use and Abuse of Logic
by Madsen Pirie
Price: 7.69

3.0 out of 5 stars could be better, 2 April 2009
I got interested in fallacies and making valid arguments. I found lots of good material on the net, but wanted something a bit more portable and with more structure to it. This book sounds ideal, but it's more of a dictionary of all the types of fallacy such as ad hominem, red herring, straw man, and lots of others that I never knew existed - about ninety are defined. A few pages are devoted to each entry, explaining what they are, giving examples and how to try and use them successfully. I don't like that aspect - promoting the use of fallacies and how to get away with it. Looks like I did buy the wrong book; I would not have bought it if I'd known it was a dictionary. As a learning guide, there must be better books than this which break fallacies into groupings, such as logical, emotional and ethical. For me, this book will be reference only; I'll look for something better and refer to this one if I need further examples. Like me, you will find better for free on the net.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 31, 2011 3:40 PM BST

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars No!, 8 Jan 2009
I thought these would be rubbish. Unfortunately, I was right.
They are a lovely colour, well my daughter thinks so, and that's why she wanted them. We've used them once; now they're just ornaments. I was one room away and got hiss and a very faint voice. Please save your money and do not buy, a shame really as girls love the colour and the fact that they're Barbie. Buy decent ones and some Barbie/Bratz stickers.

37 Days (Dvd) [2009]
37 Days (Dvd) [2009]
Dvd ~ Beth Hart
Price: 12.61

3.0 out of 5 stars Not live, 18 Nov 2008
This review is from: 37 Days (Dvd) [2009] (DVD)
First of all and most importantly, this is not live. I bought it on that understanding as a gift. Beth Hart is a great singer, so I thought it'd be great to see her live. The footage here is all studio based; the band sitting in a studio without a fan in sight, no dancing, no hollering, no emotion. Fine if you want to see songs as played by a band in a studio. I like to give second chances and I did; it is too sterile to watch again and the recipient of the gift was disappointed.
For a fan that has to have everything. The sound is good though, but as a show - no thanks.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 24, 2012 5:03 PM BST

Doomed Presents: Ashley Wood
Doomed Presents: Ashley Wood
by Chris Ryall

4.0 out of 5 stars Warning, 23 Sep 2008
Warning: Completely Doomed has these stories and more, so buy it instead.
That said, the stories are good, the art is mostly good, a bit scratchy in places,but dark, mean and moody when it needs to be. I think the best description of these stories is to say that they're like the Twilight Zone in graphic novel form. I certainly found that once I started a story that I had to read it all there and then.
The only other thing to say is that this version has more sketches of Ms Doomed - if that's what you want.
Four stars because Completely Doomed has many more stories and is a better buy.

Omar And the Howlers - Bamboozled [2006] [DVD]
Omar And the Howlers - Bamboozled [2006] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Omar & Howlers

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm off to Austin, 4 Sep 2008
Another buy for my dad. This is fantastic. Sound and picture quality are great. Omar is a mean guitarist and a throaty singer. He's proud of his guitar playing and for a good reason. He also says no to effects boxes and what a great sound he gets.I don't think there's a song I skip over, they're all so good and well performed. The howlers are a drummer and a bassist - who's names I should remember as I've watched Omar so many times tell us. John Hahn and ?
As another reviewer said this is Texas blues - bluesy at times, but I'd say veering to rock'n'roll. Footstomping stuff, good tunes, good lyrics, heart, soul, skill, musicianship, etc, etc. Hard times in the land of plenty, boogie man, monkeyland, badseed; they're all great.
You also get an interview, a kind of road trip movie, and more concert footage.
Someday I will see Omar in person...even if it means going to Scandinavia.

Sue Foley - Live In concert [DVD]
Sue Foley - Live In concert [DVD]
Dvd ~ Foley Sue

4.0 out of 5 stars Sue who?, 4 Sep 2008
As ever with the company that made this cd, the quality is excellent. I'd never heard of her, but bought it for my dad. It's quite a mix of blues styles. I'm not a big blues fan, but the music is good and draws you in. Sue Foley can play a guitar, her backing bands are great too. The hand speed is incredible. Her voice is pretty good and she comes across well interacting with the audience.
I'd say if you like a clean guitar sound, you'd like this - if you've got some beer and this is on, you'll tap your feet and take notice.
The extras are good; you get an interview and an extra concert, plus photo stills. If she came to town or a town nearby, I'd go and see her.

Gusto
Gusto
Price: 11.12

1.0 out of 5 stars No me gusta, 4 Sep 2008
This review is from: Gusto (Audio CD)
A guttermouth cd - great. But then you listen to it. If, like me, you thought Musical Monkey, Teri Yakamoto, Album formerly known as..., and Friendly People were good, then you know what you want from Guttermouth.
You want short,fast paced songs, good guitar with an obnoxious sound, catchy riff, and lyrics that you can't sing in front of your parents or in my case, my daughter.
I listened to this album, gave it every chance. I even lent it to others for a second opinion. It's toss. It's pathetic. This is not a band on the edge; this is a band desperate for commercial success. Somebody else said if you like the Vandals, then you might like it. I could agree with that, because I do not like the Vandals. Also, Covered with Ants and Gorgeous had two proper Guttermouth songs on them. I can't buy any more Guttermouth cds after these three howlers. Anybody want them? At least I have the four good albums.

Page: 1 | 2