1 of 1 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars
Almost perfect, 20 Nov 2012
I recently bought a more recent Philips SRP5004 universal remote control to replace my old version of the same remote. The new version contains more up-to-date codes for new brands and devices, and works with my TVonics DTR-HD500. My old version of the remote did not.
This remote is almost perfect for me, and here's why:
- just enough buttons, but not too many
- proper chunky rubber buttons, not a touch screen
- buttons have individual shapes and textures for easy operation without looking
- buttons grouped into sections: navigation/menu, playback/transport, numeric pad
- for Freeview the coloured buttons are located with the navigation/menu controls
- supports lots of devices
- learning function, for extra/unsupported devices or just perfecting your setup
- backlit function
I have the remote setup as follows:
TV: Philips 37PFL9603D, worked immediately.
STB: TVonics DTR-HD500, worked with setup code 3080
DVD: Topfield 5800 (all buttons learned from original remote)
VCR: Onkyo HTX-22HD amp, OpenELEC XBMC media centre (buttons from two original remotes learned onto one layout)
Whilst learning commands into the remote it became full, and it occurred to me that it had probably been used prior to me buying it. So, I tried to reset each individual device button - as described in the manual - but failed. At this point it became clear I should do a factory reset, but for some reason the process is not covered in the manual for the SRP5004. After some searching I found information about the factory reset process in the manual for the SRP5107, the 7-device USA version of the remote.
What I describe below is the process described in the USA manual, but with changes to how the SRP5004 European remote behaves during the process. I hope that is useful to somebody else.
RESETTING THE ORIGINAL FUNCTIONS OF THE REMOTE CONTROL (FACTORY RESET)
In some cases it may be useful to reset the original functions of the remote control.
E.g. if the remote control memory is full while you wish to set it up for a specific device or learn an extra function to it.
The remote control will then be reset to the default factory settings and all user settings will be deleted.
1. In the current device mode, keep digit buttons 1 and 6 pressed simultaneously for 5 seconds, until the red Setup light lights up.
- The remote control is now in setup mode.
2. Press digit buttons 9, 8 and 1, in that order:
- After each button press the active device light blinks once.
- Nothing will happen for short while as the remote is reset.
- Finally, the TV device button will light up to confirm that the original functions of the remote control were successfully reset. Any extra functions have been deleted.