Profile for Aaron > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Westone Westone 3 Headphone
Westone Westone 3 Headphone

5.0 out of 5 stars Insane price providing amazing sound quality., 6 Oct. 2009
I usually scoff at the extremes so called audiophiles go to, but a few years ago I took the plunge and purchased the UM2 earphones. Like a reviewer said of another product, I was like a kid listening to my favourite music in a new light.
This year I bought these earphones. The sound quality is outstanding. Really, that's all there is to say, right?
Oh yeah, they are just as comfortable as the UM2 model. I think the user can get a better seal with the foam tips, but these do pick up ear wax (no matter how clean you think your ears are), so they don't last forever.
You get many more tip options with the Westone 3s than you do with the UM2s. 11 different sets I think. Some plastic, some foam.
In a way, I was not as blown away by these as I was by the UM2s. This of course is because I am accustomed to the sound to an extent. The change from cheap phones to the UM2s was much more of a pleasant surprise. I remember trying them out for the first time right outside the shop and listening to Leftfield's Release The Pressure with my jaw on my lap.
The Westone 3s are very, very expensive I admit. I just use my mp3 all the time, so I feel I get my money's worth. Of course, if I didn't not constantly listen to music, then yes, these could indeed be viewed as a waste of money.
Obviously, not everyone will feel the need for these earphones (I can't bring myself to call them monitors!), but I don't regret the purchase at all.
I do however regret that my trusty old iriver H320 died on me a while ago. I have never been able to find a music player with that level of fidelity ever since. It was an antiquated brick, but it sounded fantastic.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 1, 2010 11:04 AM BST

The Holy Bible 10th Anniversary Edition [2CD + DVD]
The Holy Bible 10th Anniversary Edition [2CD + DVD]

5.0 out of 5 stars A stunning album., 10 July 2009
Just received this in the post. I have to say I am delighted with it. I discovered this album quite late. Well, at least five years too late.
Since hearing it on an old cassette in Thailand, I have never bored of it. Even a little. I knew some Manics stuff before but this album blew me away.
Maybe I am mistaken, but I haven't noticed any reviews on here mentioning the beautiful packaging. I wasn't expecting this at all.
Anyway, the music is much more important and what music it is. From Yes to PCP this is an album that sounds like no other. Obviously I do not know every album out there, but that's how it sounds to me.
As the notes say inside, the music depicts humanity in unfliching and frequently hopeless terms yet at the same time can feel so heartening. This depends on your taste and I know some people find it to abrasive and harsh but Faster certainly puts a spring in my step everytime I listen to it.
Anyway, I can't comment on the extra tracks yet as I haven't got that far (only at 4st 7lb so far) but the main issue for me is the original album. I have seen the DVD before and I found it entertaining. They are miming on Top of The Pops (except James' vocals) but I can only wonder what the audience made of the spectacle.

Anyway, favourite tracks:
1. Faster
2. Yes
3. Ifwhiteamerica...
4. Die in The Summertime
5. PCP

The only track I think lets the set down is Revol. I still like it, but I find it doesn't say enough (maybe I just don't get it).

I know I'm gushing a tad, sorry.

Buy it.

Artificial Intelligence
Artificial Intelligence

4.0 out of 5 stars A nostalgic trip to the early 90's., 13 Dec. 2008
This review is from: Artificial Intelligence (Audio CD)
This music was very important to me way back then (and still is). I know electronic music probably wasn't actually better in the early 90's, but it certainly seemed that way to me at this point in time. I was dicovering Black Dog, B12, Aphex Twin, Autechre, Plastikman, Underworld and Orbital. Several of these artists are still some of my favourites of all time.
This was the heyday of Digeridoo, Impact (The Earth is Burning) and Cowgirl. Yeah I know, rose-tinted glasses and all that. But maybe I was at the right age at the right time to make all this seem very, very important. I discovered Derrick May, Carl Craig and many others later on, but this is the stuff of my youth.
Anyway, the cd.... To be truthful I think I heard AI2 first. I was already familiar with most of the artists on this cd when I was introduced to it. Dice Man being Aphex Twin, Musicology being B12 and I.A.O. being Black Dog, I think..
It's interesting to hear how some of the artists have developed and changed over the many years. Autechre's Crystel does not resemble their more recent stuff in any shape or form, although I'd love to hear it in a club even now. Aphex Twin's changes over the years need to explanation, his Surfing on Sinewaves album remains a favourite of mine. it's represented here by the track Polygon Window.
The only track I feel doesn't fit in at all is Loving You Live. Edited down from it's original 20 something minutes...what's the point? I don't think it belongs with the other music here anyway. An early ambient classic, sure. But the constant samples of birds and waves just don't do it for me anymore (and I was bored of it back then, too).
So, 4 stars because of Loving You, but the rest is great. Just do yourself a favour and try to track down the original albums in this series.

Electro-Soma
Electro-Soma

5.0 out of 5 stars Better after all these years., 13 Dec. 2008
This review is from: Electro-Soma (Audio CD)
I first heard this album back in 1994. At the time I was a fan of other Warp artists such as Autechre, Aphex Twin/Polygon Window and the like. For some reason I just didn't get this album. I had never really been introduced to the Detroit sound and I didn't really know what to make of it.
I recently listened to Electro-Soma on my mp3 and I have to say it stands up better (or just as well as) than some of the other AI albums on Warp from that time. If I listen to Dimension Intrusion by FUSE for example, I feel some of it sounds hopelessly dated (the heavier tracks in particular). This does not. Maybe because it was partly retro to start with? I don't know, but that doesn't matter. It's a classic as far as I'm concerned.
Hall of Mirrors, Obsessed and Telefone 529 are my favourites.

Selected Ambient Works 85-92
Selected Ambient Works 85-92
Offered by the_record_factory

4.0 out of 5 stars Maybe a little dated, but still a classic., 11 Feb. 2008
This was the album that changed my listening tastes. Maybe not the only album, but it's the only one I still listen to. I think The Orb etc have dated much worse than this. Yes, some of it sounds simplistic. Is this a bad thing? Some tracks are very simple, but very beautiful. I don't think it's fair to compare this to his later stuff as it's a completely different thing altogether. I love Windowlicker and Come to Daddy as much as anyone, but this is wonderful music. Only four stars as I feel Surfing on Sine Waves is his early classic. Listen to Strings of Life, No UFO's, Nude Photo blah blah...they all sound basic compared to modern day techno, but that doesn't mean they are bad, just because more sophisticated machines are used nowadays. A previous reviewer said some people might pretend they like it because they know it's Richard D James, and he might be right. Maybe I like this because I was a fan first, in the 90's, before all the great stuff that came after.
Bottom line is..I still like it now.
Heliosphan is a wonderful track, even if Green Calx has always made my skin crawl!

The Altogether
The Altogether

3.0 out of 5 stars It's not David Gray's fault., 31 Aug. 2007
This review is from: The Altogether (Audio CD)
First things first. I am an Orbital fan. I am not a David Gray fan. There, I said it. Now, I was suspicious at first when I heard about the David Gray vocals on this album (way back then).
This is not a great Orbital album by any means. In fact, I think most of it is pitifully below par. As stated above though, it's NOT Mr. Gray's fault. It just isn't a very good album. Most of it is very forgettable.
Funny Break, I love. Tension is good and Meltdown is classic Orbital. The rest I can barely remember (even after repeated listening.)
Illuminate isn't that bad. It's not a favourite of mine, but I'd rather see the Hartnoll brothers experimenting instead of making more and more novelty songs.
Some people may see Illuminate as a novelty song, but I think it is more worthwhile than the throwaway "let's do rock today" or "let's have a quirky vocal sample and not much else" tracks that appeared more and more towards the end of their career. Satan was fine. Leave it at that. The world can do without anymore Quality Seconds or Tootled.
Orbital were capable of so much more.

Mayday Mix
Mayday Mix
Offered by playanywhere

5.0 out of 5 stars House, techno, this has it all...and how!, 2 Sept. 2005
This review is from: Mayday Mix (Audio CD)
Ok, listen up. This is one of the best house/techno mix cds ever. Full stop. I assure you, you will never be bored listening to this. From funky house to banging techno, this has it all. This isn't one of those boring over smooth sound-a-like mixes that you've heard a million times. Mr. May uses lots of dj tricks with vinyl, cds and God knows what else.
I can't do this mix justice in my humble review. Just buy it.
The styles don't vary as much as, for example, the famous Coldcut Journeys By DJ mix but if you want to know how to make house and techno endlessly entertaining, sit back and listen to The Innovator showing the rest how it's done.
(Yes, I'm gushing a little too much, sorry. It really is that good. Also, I've heard it's not that easy to track down, so snap it up!)

Original Dubliners
Original Dubliners
Offered by Side Two

5.0 out of 5 stars Drink it up men, it's long after ten!, 19 Nov. 2003
This review is from: Original Dubliners (Audio CD)
I had only previously listened to some pogues cds when i decided to seek out the real thing.
I was not disappointed. Well, there is a lot to take in here, with so many tracks but slowly i realised what an amazing set of songs there are on this cd.
Where do i start? Well, apart from the more obvious titles (to the non -fan anyway), there's Peggy Gordon, with a great vocal from Luke Kelly (I think..), there's Drink It Up Men, a tribute to "the black liquidation with the froth on the top", and The Parting Glass is a popular (to say the least) end of the night tune in Ireland, the version here is Ronny Drew typically craggy style.
Open your ears, open a bottle of the Ginger Lady (or Nancy Whiskey!) and enjoy.

The Sayings of George Orwell (Duckworth Sayings Series)
The Sayings of George Orwell (Duckworth Sayings Series)
by George Orwell

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it...but after you have read his other books., 6 Nov. 2003
I have one small complaint about this and it is nothing to do with the quality or wit of Orwell's sayings. It's just that a lot of these "quotes" aren't quotes at all. They are fine comments and observations but many are from novels. They were utterd from the mouth's of Orwell's characters.
OK, many of his characters were half based on himself, but that doesn't really qualify them for sayings of Orwell, does it?
Well, I got that off my chest. This book is great. So many gems squeezed together from many great writings. I wouldn't recommend getting this INSTEAD of reading his books. Although, if you have read the great man's novels/essays, this is an easy way to flick through some excellent wit and razor sharp prose.
Example....(On why sometimes war is the lesser evil) "Those who take the sword, die by the sword. Those who don't, die of smelly diseases."
I would say buy this book, but then I'd rather you bought 1984, Animal Farm, Burmese Days, Essays or any other writings by George Orwell before reading the wisdom (and humour) contained in this little book.

Kitchen Confidential
Kitchen Confidential
by Anthony Bourdain

5.0 out of 5 stars A real chef's rant.., 4 Feb. 2003
This review is from: Kitchen Confidential (Paperback)
I was given this book and instructed to read it. I was mildly interested in it as I do love food. What I wasn't prepared for was how much this book would cause me to love food (and be fascinated by it) even more. I loved everything about his book. Of course this doesn't mean that it's the greatest book ever written. What it does mean is that it was exactly what I like in a book.
I laughed out loud many many times. I was shocked in places, especially at Tony's stabbing of a fellow (though arguably deserving) cook's hand!
His love of food was great to read, as was his acid writing style. As a previous reviewer said, it makes me want to meet Tony.
I will be reading A Cook's Tour as soon as get my hands on it. Just read it.
Inspiring.