Profile for Jules > Reviews

The Dog Stars
The Dog Stars
Price: 3.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Boring!, 19 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Dog Stars (Kindle Edition)
I found this book very, very difficult to get through. I didn't particularly like the author's style of writing and, underneath the tedious and extraneous detail, I found the story very slight. It would have been much more satisfying had it been a leaner and more concise piece of work, perhaps a novella rather than a full length novel. 'The Dog Stars' compares unfavourably with other recent post-apocalyptic novels, such as Marcel Theroux's 'Far North' or Cormac MacCarthy's 'The Road'.

The Argument
The Argument
Price: 12.40

4.0 out of 5 stars An unexpected delight, 28 July 2013
This review is from: The Argument (Audio CD)
I must admit that I bought this CD, like the last couple of Grant Hart albums, more out of a sense of duty than an expectation of actually enjoying the contents - in spite of the mainly positive reviews. I was a little daunted by the album's concept - it is inspired by John Milton's 'Paradise Lost' and William Burroughs's 'Lost Paradise' - but, to my delight, I have found this lengthy CD a joy to listen to from beginning to end. To me, it is Grant Hart's best work since his excellent solo debut, 'Intolerance'.

The Woodlanders
The Woodlanders
Price: 0.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Annoying Kindle edition, 18 July 2013
This review is from: The Woodlanders (Kindle Edition)
I haven't finished reading this novel, but my enjoyment of it is being tempered by the poor quality of the Kindle edition. The Americanised spelling is annoying, as is the use of capitals for emphasis within the text, and the character Edred is called Edgar in this version! I gave up on the free version and resorted to purchasing the Oxford World Classics edition which, I hope, will prove a more satisfying read.

The Heart is a Lonely Hunter (Penguin Modern Classics)
The Heart is a Lonely Hunter (Penguin Modern Classics)
Price: 4.35

1.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book, but dreadful e-book, 18 July 2013
To give "The Heart is a Lonely Hunter" just one star is perhaps misleading. It is one of my favourite books and ordinarily would receive four or five stars from me. However, I was very disappointed by the poor standard of the Kindle edition. The far too numerous mistakes in the text were off-putting and frustrating, marring my enjoyment of the novel. In one memorable instance, the character Bubber is dubbed 'Rubber'! My annoyance is exacerbated by the fact that I paid more for the Kindle edition than I would have done for a physical copy.

Is Your Love Big Enough?
Is Your Love Big Enough?
Price: 4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 11 July 2012
I first heard Lianne La Havas on Jools Holland a few months ago and I've been looking out for her album ever since. I had very high expectations and 'Is Your Love Big Enough?' doesn't disappoint. It is possibly a bit too heavy on the ballads for my liking but it is truly beautiful. I've seen other reviewers compare La Havas's voice to that of Erykah Badu but she reminds me mostly of Shingai Shonowa of the Noisettes. Lianne La Havas is a true talent and I look forward to hearing more from her in the future.

L.I.F.E.
L.I.F.E.
Price: 8.96

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 11 July 2012
This review is from: L.I.F.E. (Audio CD)
I really, really wanted to like this album. The 'Redemption Days' single (with the Ghostface Killah rap) prompted me to preorder the CD, and I eagerly anticipated its release. However, I was sorely disappointed. Although Josh Osho has a beautiful voice, reminiscent of Seal and Lemar, his material is lyrically and musically pedestrian, outdated rather than innovative. Josh Osho has been called "the English Frank Ocean" - but to me he is more like "the male Emeli Sande." And that is not a compliment.

Our Version of Events
Our Version of Events
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 5.33

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't believe the hype!, 21 Feb 2012
This review is from: Our Version of Events (Audio CD)
I only bought this album as Amazon was offering it as a relatively cheap download. After listening to it a few times, I really wish that I hadn't bothered. Most of the songs are bland, boring and instantly forgettable - the type of drippy, lowest-common-denominator balladry one would expect from 'X Factor' contestants. Only three songs stand out - the singles - 'Heaven,' 'Daddy,' and 'Next to Me.'
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 20, 2013 11:28 AM GMT

See A Little Light: The Trail of Rage and Melody
See A Little Light: The Trail of Rage and Melody
by Bob Mould
Price: 17.09

4.0 out of 5 stars Informative and unputdownable!, 16 July 2011
I've been a fan of Bob Mould for a very long time now, enjoying Husker Du, Sugar and the solo stuff. I also enjoyed reading his 'Boblog' a few years ago, so when I noticed that his autobiography had been published I purchased it straight away. In terms of public image, Bob Mould always appeared to me to be a very 'private' person, so it was quite a surprise that his autobiography is so candid. In fact, I think I found out more about Bob Mould's personal life than I actually wanted to! However it does give a good insight into the disintegration of Husker Du and the dynamics within that band. I would recommend this incredibly readable book not only to those who enjoy the music of Bob Mould, but also to fans of good writing about rock music in general. It is a great companion piece to co-writer Michael Azerrad's excellent 'Our Band Could Be Your Life,' which came out a few years ago.

InnerSpeaker
InnerSpeaker
Price: 8.42

4.0 out of 5 stars Love this CD!, 10 Jun 2011
This review is from: InnerSpeaker (Audio CD)
This is a really great CD, the best that I've heard for a long, long time. The music sounds familiar rather than too derivative and at the moment I don't seem to want to listen to anything else!

Denon DP-200USB Turntable - Silver
Denon DP-200USB Turntable - Silver
Price: 138.19

4.0 out of 5 stars Good turntable, shame about the software!, 10 Jun 2011
I bought this turntable as I've previously purchased Denon products in the past and have been very happy. The turntable is fine, although perhaps not of the same quality as the other Denon items I own, but perfectly reasonable considering the price of the unit. The main problem is the software, which is difficult to use, unreliable and confusing. The track identification feature is the worst that I have ever used and it seemed that I had to close and reopen the program to see the changes that I had made. In the end I split the tracks manually (this can be sped up) and then transferred the tracks back to my USB flash drive to add the track titles manually. I achieved what I wanted in the end but it was definitely a process of trial and error!

Page: 1 | 2