Profile for A. Horner > Reviews

Content by A. Horner

A. Horner "Andrew Horner" (Erskine, Scotland)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Rotring Tikky 3 Mechanical pencil 0.5mm leads LIME
Rotring Tikky 3 Mechanical pencil 0.5mm leads LIME

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Rotring quality, 13 Jun 2013
I've been using Rotring products for 40 years and their pens are second to none. As an aspiring artist I'm always on the lookout for new techniques and mechanical pencils appear to be in use now more than ever. I therefore was pleased to see that Rotring had a range of Tikky mechanical pencils and I bought one. It's well made, an excellent product, and surprisingly low cost. I was also pleased to see there's a variety of leads (not just HB) though there's no need to stick to Rotring for these.

I now have several of these pencils dotted around for use on different projects. Overall it's cheaper to buy one of these pencils (which comes with some spare leads) than buying a top rate artists pencil (like a Derwent product). Highly recommended.

Rotring Tikky 3 Mechanical pencil 0.5mm leads AQUA
Rotring Tikky 3 Mechanical pencil 0.5mm leads AQUA

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Rotring quality, 13 Jun 2013

Rotring Tikky 3 Mechanical pencil 0.5mm leads APRICOT
Rotring Tikky 3 Mechanical pencil 0.5mm leads APRICOT

5.0 out of 5 stars I love Rotring, 13 Jun 2013

Derwent Canvas Pencil Wrap, 30 Pencil plus Accessory Storage Capacity, Unrolls Flat for Easy Access, Press-Stud for Security

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as expected, 13 Jun 2013
I've tried several pencil wraps and have found nothing to match the wraps sold by Jackson's (which were sold on Amazon - that's where I found mine). The Derwent one is, for me, made from a fabric I don't like and I've stopped using it. I also found that if it's not full of pencils it's a loose fastening. It would be far better if it had a velcro or elastic strap to cater for various widths.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 30, 2013 8:30 AM GMT

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best, 9 Jun 2013
I'm a bit disappointed in the quality of this product. I only bought it because the Derwent alternative is rubbish and I couldn't get hold of any Jackson's pencil rolls (which are the absolute best and cheaper). It's cheap and tacky and I wouldn't buy another one though it does do the job!

Pantograph
Pantograph
Offered by Hotshotcraft

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I needed, 6 May 2013
This review is from: Pantograph (Toy)
I'm a reasonable artist who draws a lot from photographs. I tend to print the photos at A4 size then copy them with pencils to make A3 or A2 size pictures. The way I do it is by drawing a 1cm grid on the original then scaling the grid up in very faint pencil on the A3 or A2.

This has two problems. (1) It's laborious and (2) no matter how faint the grid you can never quite get rid of it. So when I saw there was such a thing as a Pantograph I saw it as an opportunity to refine my artwork and dispense with the grid line process.

I need to emphasise here that I wasn't after a tool that would transfer precise fine lines in microscopic detail - I just wanted something that would allow me to accurately transfer the basic outline and some key points from A4 size to A3 or A2. For example if it was a portrait then the outside shape of the face, the shape of the hair line and the position of the eyes, nose and mouth. Once done I would then work on the larger picture in meticulous detail freehand.

My first point is that the instructions with the pantograph are virtually nil. There's some basic drawings and ratios but that's about all. No-one actually tells you the best way to use it. There's some video on You Tube but it's a bit amateurish and not well explained, so I decided to work it out for myself.

The first thing I did was to get a dedicated board instead of using a table. A piece of MDF or plywood of the right size will only set you back a few quid and it's worth it. It also saves you marking the table! The board rests on the table and has marks on it showing exactly where to place the clamp and where to put the two (different sized) sheets of paper. I've attached photographs with this review to make it easier for you.

I found that contrary to some explanations the clamp does not fit onto the corner but is at the midway point of the shortest side of the board. The two sheets of paper are also central and need to be lined up (see pictures) so the extended arm is parallel to the longest side of the board. Please note that the two sheets of paper have to be placed `portrait', not `landscape'.

Make sure you fix the two sheets in place. Perhaps some paper (decorator's) tape, pins or clips will do the trick.

The size of the Pantograph means that the A4 sheet will always overlap the A3 or A2 sheet (see pictures) but that's OK. As long as both are fixed down firmly, when you come to transfer the artwork on the left of the A4 sheet just tuck it under the A3 or A2.

The main problem I encountered was with the pre-drilled holes for various ratios. To go from A4 to A2 is easy - it's a ratio of 2 (A4 short side is 210mm, A2 is 410mm) but A4 to A3 means a ratio of 210mm to 297mm, which works out at 1.4. The pre-drilled holes on the Pantograph are in fractions (not decimal) and it does not have a fraction of 1 4/10 (or 1 2/5). The nearest to it is 1⅓ followed by 1½ so I ended up drilling a hole midway between these two and it's done the trick.

All in all it's a good bit of kit and I recommend it but don't expect miracles. It's excellent for my purpose and I expect children will love playing with it as well.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 19, 2014 3:42 PM BST

John Lennon in His Own Words (Audio Go)
John Lennon in His Own Words (Audio Go)
by John Lennon
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars For true Lennon fans, 1 May 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Being the greatest fan of John Lennon in all the world, I was obviously going to like this CD. And I was not disappointed.

Listening to it now, with the history of John's life and tragic death at the back of my mind, evoked both memories of where I was and what I was doing when these recordings were made and deepened my appreciation of the passion of John's life and beliefs.

There are seven interviews on the CD, from June 1965 through to the interview with Andy Peebles and Yoko Ono a month after John was shot dead in New York in December 1980.

The earlier interviews uncover some of the thinking and feelings of John that were not public at that time. This makes for fascinating, though not surprising, information now.

The last interview, for me, was a reflection of the great loss to the world of John Lennon, human being extraordinaire.

Travalo Pure Essentials Refill Perfume Atomizer
Travalo Pure Essentials Refill Perfume Atomizer

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little traveller, 14 April 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I bought this for my wife and she loves it. It's compact, sturdy and just what she was looking for on her travels. I must go with her one day to see what she does . . .

KANDAK: Fighting with Afghans
KANDAK: Fighting with Afghans
by Patrick Hennessey

5.0 out of 5 stars Dispells the myths, 14 April 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
An excellent book. There's a general opinion that the Afghans are half hearted, corrupt people always out to look after themselves first and I think this has been portrayed in people's minds by the media when they report Afghan troops or police shooting western soldiers and the known corruption of the government in Afghanistan.

However, there is a different side and Patrick Hennessey demonstrates the selfless qualities of those on the front line and the determination by most of the troops on the ground to make their country a better place.

Recommended reading.

The Iron King (The Accursed Kings, Book 1)
The Iron King (The Accursed Kings, Book 1)
by Maurice Druon

3.0 out of 5 stars Too old, 21 Mar 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I can only reiterate the other reviews. The storyline itself is generally good but the book was written over 50 years ago and lacks that modern style of punchy writing. It's like comparing a science fiction film from 50 years ago to a modern one where styles and ability have changed. It was, no doubt, a great book in its day but the writing needs to be updated.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20