Profile for KKirkwood > Reviews

Content by KKirkwood

KKirkwood "food lover" (Kettering, England UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Mosquito
Mosquito
by Mark Nelson

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent, informative book about a brilliant aircraft, 1 Aug 2013
This review is from: Mosquito (Hardcover)
I am a great fan of the Mossie and already I have several books about it and the brave men who flew it, because of your fast delivery and excellent service I have been able to enjoy this one and am glad to add it to my collection. Thank you
Ken Kirkwood

La Flūte de Pan - Sonata for flute and piano, Op. 15: Pan et les oiseaux: II
La Flūte de Pan - Sonata for flute and piano, Op. 15: Pan et les oiseaux: II

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, soothing music I had not heard before…, 25 July 2013
…that is until I heard it played recently on Radio Swiss Classic on-line. I made a note of it at once and bought as soon as I discovered it on Amazon.

A Man Without Breath: A Bernie Gunther Novel (Bernie Gunther Mystery 9)
A Man Without Breath: A Bernie Gunther Novel (Bernie Gunther Mystery 9)
by Philip Kerr

5.0 out of 5 stars A Philip Kerr fan, 25 July 2013
I discovered this man's writing by accident some time ago, since when I have become addicted to his books and especially his Bernie Gunther series although all his other books have given me great pleasure, too. In fact I find them all 'unputdownable' although there is no such word, but I am sure you get my meaning. Philip Kerr's amazing sense of place, his incredible detailed recreation of life in Germany before, during and after the Second World War, his writing style so much in the manner of Raymond Chandler yet with his own unique 'voice' adds up for me a totally enjoyable read. I would recommend any of Mr Kerr's books to anyone who enjoys a good imaginative thriller of a unique style so different to the usual run of the mill works of this genre. Buy and enjoy them all, but beware, you too might become addicted

A
A

5.0 out of 5 stars Her voice is still amazing, 25 July 2013
This review is from: A (MP3 Download)
I saw the BBC interview of this still very beautiful woman and fell in love with her and her lovely, haunting voice. She is a winner all over again.

Graphic Design
Graphic Design
by Milton Glaser

5.0 out of 5 stars A golden oldie…, 25 July 2013
This review is from: Graphic Design (Paperback)
… but still wonderful nonetheless. I had always meant to buy this book but somehow never got round to doing so. Milton Glaser's work especially his illustrations is superb. It is still inspirational and up-lifting even after so many years since it was first created. A lovely walk down a delightful lane of happy visual memories.

Coco Chanel & Igor Stravinsky [DVD]
Coco Chanel & Igor Stravinsky [DVD]
Dvd ~ Anna Mouglalis

1.0 out of 5 stars If I could see it I am sure I would love it, 27 Nov 2010
I purchased this DVD expecting to revel in a feast of wonderful acting and gorgeous images of fashion design and interiors. But I was so very disappointed. Clearly the lighting cameraman/director of photography decided use only available 'light' or in this case available 'dark'. The use of additional lighting is minimal to the point of absurdity. I am all for 'breaking the rules' but only if the results are excellent. In this case they most decidedly are not.

As a freelance professional photographer I enjoy rich, full colours and prefer a slightly underexposed result. I also rejoice in wonderful, masterly lighting eg Gordon Willis' work in The Godfather. But in this film so much of it is almost black to the point that it is hard to discern what is going on. As a result it is impossible to see how good the actors really are because from what little it is possible to see they are brilliant. On seeing the finished result they must have thought 'why did we bother'.

Given the superb visual style of Madame Chanel's world I expected this film to reflect that. Maybe it does but it is impossible to see it. I wonder why this DoP was selected to shoot this subject? It is unlikely that he is inept/inexperienced given that he was selected for the job. Equally it cannot be the constraints of the budget that meant that there was no money to rent the lighting equipment etc. So it can only have been blind arrogance that has given us a result we are unable to enjoy. Either way, in my view, he should have been fired on seeing the first rushes.

In short, I would not recommend anyone to buy this DVD
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 13, 2010 10:22 AM GMT

Keeping it Simple
Keeping it Simple
by Gary Rhodes

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this book..., 8 Sep 2009
This review is from: Keeping it Simple (Hardcover)
...if you are likely-or need to be-inspired and tempted by mouthwatering images of the finished dishes. It is a wonderful book let down, in my view, by completely by self indulgent, 'trendy', shallow focus photography that for me does nothing to enhance Gary Rhodes' superb work. How or why he approved these pictures of his cooking is beyond me. I bought my copy on-line but had I seen it in bookshop the chances are I would never have bought it.

Whoever was commissioned to photograph this brilliant chef's work clearly has no knowledge of, or love for, food. Ditto the commissioning editor/art director. In my view really good food photography lets the final dish 'speak' for itself. I want to really see ALL the dish, its' ingredients, it's garnish and presentation. The best food photography makes my mouth water and I immediately am inspired to cook it because it looks so delicious. With 90% of the image out of focus I have no idea what anything looks like. When is someone going to end this style of food photography? It is nonsensical rubbish and like the boy in the tale of the Emperor's new clothes someone has to stand up and say so.

Ken