Profile for Mrs. Margaret A. Layton > Reviews

Content by Mrs. Margaret ...

Mrs. Margaret A. Layton (London, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Casio F-91WC-3AEF Digital Watch with Green Resin Strap
Casio F-91WC-3AEF Digital Watch with Green Resin Strap

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice watch, 11 Sep 2014
I waited a few weeks to review this as a previous watch I bought from Amazon fell to bits very quickly. This looks good, is comfortable and easy to use. It works well. For a bargain price watch it is very good.

Vanished
Vanished

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 11 Sep 2014
This review is from: Vanished (Kindle Edition)
After reading ' The Long Shadow' my Liza Marklund, I decided to try another of her books about ditsy journalist Annika. this one was an earlier book in the series and was really boring drawn out. Not worth spending much time on.

Murder in Skarhamn A Swedish Crime Novel (Greger Thulin Book 2)
Murder in Skarhamn A Swedish Crime Novel (Greger Thulin Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth reading, I look forward to the next one, 11 Sep 2014
I had never heard of Ramona Fransson before and only bought this because it was very inexpensive and I wanted something to read on a long train journey. Greger Thulin is no James Bond, he is overweight and sloppy in his dress sense and diet, yet an endearing character. [ Sort of Columbo, but more ordinary ] With his team of mostly female detectives and pathology staff, he plods along doggedly until he solves the case of a murdered wife beater. Very good read.

The Long Shadow
The Long Shadow

4.0 out of 5 stars Crazy but readable, 11 Sep 2014
This review is from: The Long Shadow (Kindle Edition)
I liked this book a lot , in spite of itself. It is part crime novel and part 'chick lit' with silly descriptions of a policeman having muscles rippling beneath his shirt. The hero, Annika, is a journalist with a lifestyle nobody would envy. I am sure an American would describe her family as 'dysfunctional'. It is almost too far fetched and yet I thoroughly enjoyed reading it

Three Dog Night
Three Dog Night

5.0 out of 5 stars Unexpected and brilliant, 11 Sep 2014
This review is from: Three Dog Night (Kindle Edition)
Excellent , best I have read in a long time. This Danish thriller features the unlikely hero, Peter Boutrup , just released from prison for manslaughter. Following the discovery of the body of an old acquaintance from the bad times, he teams up with equally misfit neighbour, Felix, to find out why it happened. The book is full of action - lots of cliffhangers, and even more odd characters among the police and crooks alike. Very little is predictable, I hope there are more to follow from this splendid writer.

Buried Angels
Buried Angels

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a ghost in sight, 28 July 2014
This review is from: Buried Angels (Kindle Edition)
I have read so many of Camilla Lackbergs novels that Patrick and Erica seem so very familiar. At first I was not sure about this novel, all the flashbacks to the past, the life of Dagmar, all seemed to familiar from a story by another writer, Asa Larsson. However, as the story progresses, there is only a very superficial resemblance. Ebba and Tobias have returned to Ebba's old family home to restore it but bad things keep happening to them in the process. Does this have to do with the history of the previous owners of the property ? Read it to find out !

My First Murder (Maria Kallio Series Book 1)
My First Murder (Maria Kallio Series Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars A refreshing new character in crime fiction, 30 Jun 2014
I read the Maria Kallio series in totally the wrong order - no matter, they all work as individuals. Maria herself is somebody so well described you can see, hear and practically smell her. A Police officer / qualified lawyer / one of the 'lads' yet a feminist, she is very real. I hope there will be more books in the series soon.

The Blinded Man: The first Intercrime thriller
The Blinded Man: The first Intercrime thriller

5.0 out of 5 stars A great use of music in a fine book, 30 Jun 2014
Once I got my head around the fact that 'Hultin' wasn't a woman called Jenny, as in the TV series - I found this a brilliant and evocative book to read. The use of music gives it a smokey blues club feel and the variety of characters in the team give it loads of insight. This is the first in the series and I look forward to reading the next one. Also, I will start listening to Thelonius Monk.

QS20 Teamwear Hydro Belt Bag by Quadra, a 'must have' item, Bottle Holder, IpodTM/MP3 compatible inc. headphone port, zipped pocket. Buy yours now online for only £7.99 plus Post & Packing
Offered by fadclothing

3.0 out of 5 stars Ouch, 30 Jun 2014
This belt does a good job holding a bottle of water, keys, etc and allows the runner to concentrate on running. However, it has a very tight clasp to fasten. When undoing this, I have caught my fingers in it - drawing blood on one occasion. So - the only way I can put it on without further injury is to lengthen the straps , climb into it and then tighten it again. Not difficult, unless bigger than me perhaps, but very irritating

Guilt: Department Q 4
Guilt: Department Q 4

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 8 Mar 2014
This is excellent stuff from the beginning. Nete and her husband are at an awards dinner when she recognises somebody from her past. The glamorous Nete had a very humble and shocking start to life and wants nobody to know the truth. This chance meeting leads to tragedy and unearthing on a grand scale, including a political party, so right wing as to be totally out of place in modern Scandinavia. Carl and his colleagues in Dep. Q have a difficult task to solve - and each of them has a past that also comes under the microscope. When will Jussi Adler Olsen write the next one ? Cannot wait.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5