Profile for Aaron McConnell > Reviews

Recess [Explicit]
Recess [Explicit]
Price: 7.49

5.0 out of 5 stars A Welcome Break From Tradition, 20 Mar 2014
This review is from: Recess [Explicit] (MP3 Download)
As I'd heard many mixed reviews of this album, I decided that I would try to critique this as objectively as possible.

As the album opened up with a fairly decent brostep track (though nothing special, by any means) I began to wonder if the less favourable reviews were actually right, but as the album unfolded, I was pleasantly surprised.

The album incorporates a wide range of styles, from Skrillex's particular well-known brand of dubstep to drum'n'bass, with some jazz vibes and quite a lot of influence from trap (and even a friendly nod from some of dubstep's earlier roots. While I won't lie and will admit that a few of the tracks did take quite a number of listens to grow on me, I thoroughly enjoy the whole album now and there are a lot of wonderful composition and sound design ideas explored on this record, with mood swings between songs ranging from raw, angry and agressive straight into chilled-out and laidback.

Whilst the album may not appeal to people who are die-hard fans of Skrillex's fairly consistent style in his previous releases, I do think that it has something for everyone on it, be it vocal trap mayhem in Dirty Vibe, the incredibly listenable percussion edits and unexpected half-time drop in Stranger, sheer anthems like Ease My Mind, the chill vibes in Fire Away, the sonic madness (and sheer interestingness of Doompy Poomp) and everything in between.

I'm sure a lot of people will accuse him of selling out and it won't be to everybody's tastes, but despite this being his most experimental and genre-spanning piece of work, I also believe that it's one of his most cohesive sets of tunes which showcases his abilities in many styles outside of the brostep that he is so well known for and it definitely shows a maturing sound.

Props, great album.