Profile for Mr. W. Hardy > Reviews

Content by Mr. W. Hardy

Mr. W. Hardy "GH"
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Dvd ~ Ellen Burstyn

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 27 Mar 2002
I could say a lot about this film, but I'm going to keep it as short as possible.
This film leapt straight into my top 3 films of all time the first time I saw it.
There are parts of it that were almost hard to watch, and I did so with a sensation that I'd feel better when it was all over, without actually wanting it to be over.
There is no doubt in my mind that Ellen Burstyn should have walked away with the Oscar (Best Actress). She gave possibly THE best acting performance I have had the pleasure to see.
Watch this movie. You will find yourself thinking about it for days afterwards.

Hyperion (Hyperion Cantos)
Hyperion (Hyperion Cantos)
by Dan Simmons

4.0 out of 5 stars Some nice ideas, 19 Mar 2002
I agree with some of the other criticism of this novel - that the style appears to be very much in imitation of early Asimov and Clarke. That's not necessarily a bad thing, if that's the kind of Sci-Fi you like, and I do.
What struck me most about this was the ideas presented. Some were fleshed out a little more than others, and I expect that some of those which were a little thin will be more fully explored in the sequel "Fall of Hyperion" (not read it yet, but it's on the list).
There are enough characters that everyone should find at least one to relate to, perhaps not at first, but certainly after their personal tale is told.
The ending was a little abrupt for my tastes. I had assumed that this was a standalone, but luckily I am already in possession of the sequel. There are sufficient unresolved issues to ensure that I'm looking forward to that.

The Cosmic Puppets
The Cosmic Puppets

4.0 out of 5 stars Early PKD, 6 Mar 2002
This review is from: The Cosmic Puppets (Paperback)
One of the earlier PKD novels, which initially reads like an original episode of the Twilight Zone (in fact I can think of an episode with a cameo from a young James Doohan which was very like the first half of the book). As usual the tale has a little PKD twist, to help things along.
This final plot-turn was definately an issue he came back to in later novels, possibly most noteably The Divine Invasion, and Valis to a lesser degree.
It is an early PKD, so a lot of the complexity and depth is not so well formed, but it is no less enjoyable for that. An easy one to get into PKD for those not so familiar, and a genesis of ideas for later works for the seasoned fans.

Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said (S.F. MASTERWORKS)
Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said (S.F. MASTERWORKS)

4.0 out of 5 stars Strangely familiar and yet totally original, 25 Feb 2002
After the first couple of chapters of this, I had an overwhelming sense of familiarity with the story line. There were shades of Iain Banks "The Bridge", probably being the foremost. However, as usual with PKD, things were just not quite what they appeared to be.
Once more I found myself drawn into PKD's dark wit and cynicism. A police-state where celebrities are seemingly exempt, and the results of genetically manipulating humans are walking around.
The reason this did not rate the full 5 stars was really to do with the explanation of why Jason Taverner's life was turned upside-down for two days. This was not explored fully enough for my tastes, but that's the only criticism I can level at this.

A Scanner Darkly (S.F. MASTERWORKS)
A Scanner Darkly (S.F. MASTERWORKS)

5.0 out of 5 stars One to read again and again., 21 Feb 2002
Without a doubt, this is one of the best from PKD. Witty, thought-provoking and dark, it explores (some of) the best and worst aspects of man. There'll be at least one character in there to whom you will be able to relate.
The conclusion to the book is not completely unexpected but is completely compelling.

Flowers For Algernon (S.F. MASTERWORKS)
Flowers For Algernon (S.F. MASTERWORKS)
by Daniel Keyes

4.0 out of 5 stars Definately a classic, 20 Feb 2002
Not only was this a great story, it also addressed an issue that should be in the mind of ALL scientists at the cutting edge of research - just because we can, doesn't mean we should.
Initially I thought that the pace of the story was a little fast, and wondered what the remainder of the book was going to be about. However, I shouldn't have been concerned, as Keyes steered it away from the initial direction to one which reminded me (somewhat abstractly) of Luke Rhinehart.
This is good, solid sci-fi which deserves it's place in this SF Masterworks series.

The Kingdom [VHS] [1996]
The Kingdom [VHS] [1996]
VHS

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 6 Feb 2002
Very little I can say about this without appearing to be a one-man Lars von Trier marketing team.
I saw this purely by accident quite a while ago, and was completely bowled over by the experience. It has just about everything that you could want - hauntings, unexpected pregnancy, several unscrupulous doctors (one of them being prepared to go to extreme lengths to get his hands on a dying patient's liver), racial intolerance, and above all else, the feeling that there is something else going on that you just can't quite put your finger on. To top it all off, the only person who seems to understand what is really happening, is the guy who washes the dishes in the canteen.
I think that it's fair to say that this is not for everyone. However, if you enjoy the style of David Lynch, or indeed the other creations of Lars von Trier, then you'll get more out of this than most.
Only two complaints - why is this not on DVD; why is the second series impossible to find in any format.
Watch this and you'll be thinking about it for weeks afterwards.

Planet of the Apes [DVD] [2001]
Planet of the Apes [DVD] [2001]
Dvd ~ Mark Wahlberg
Offered by best_value_entertainment

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible, 15 Jan 2002
This film will stand as an example as to why it can be a very bad thing to remake an old classic. Once again the Hollywood cookie-cutter seems to have been in use.
A lot of thought very evidently went into the look and feel of the movie. It looked fantastic and the cinematography was excellent. Unfortunately, as has been the case in the past few years with films of this type, very little thought seems to have been put into the plot or the script. The direction seemed to be lacking more than a little, to the effect of having Tim Roth snarl at the beginning and end of almost every line of dialog. Mark Wahlberg looked to be completely out of his depth, and turned in a poor performance.
The story was loose almost to the point of non-existence, and as for the ending .... There were rumours that several endings had been produced, and, well, if that was the best of them I'd love to see the others just for the sheer comedic value.
I was very disappointed with this effort, and expected more from Tim Burton and Tim Roth. In fact, I think that this was the worst film I saw last year.
If you like mindless eye-candy and can forgive the omission of a plot, then this is for you, otherwise look elsewhere.

Road Trip [DVD] [2000]
Road Trip [DVD] [2000]
Dvd ~ Breckin Meyer
Offered by Discs4all

1.0 out of 5 stars Another Hollywood cookie-cutter movie, 16 Nov 2001
This review is from: Road Trip [DVD] [2000] (DVD)
It seems evident that rather than try to do anything different, it is easier to squeeze the gullible public out of their hard-earned cash by producing movie after movie all made to the same formula.
This has absolutely nothing new to offer. Take a few mindless sight-gags and jokes that were rejected by the script writers of Friends, sprinle in some titillation and mix with some good-looking young third rate actors - and this is what you get, a third rate movie that no-one will remember this time next year (until the inevitable sequel appears, of course).
If that's the sort of thing you like then you will love this. Alternatively, why not get a copy of National Lampoon's Animal House instead, and see where this sort of humour came from in the first instance, when it was original and funny and well written, and .... well when it was just everything that this thinly veiled money-spinner is not.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 31, 2013 2:23 PM GMT

Dvd ~ Ellen Burstyn

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, 13 Aug 2001
I thought that Pi was amazing, and awaited the second offering from Aronofsky and I was not disappointed. Having thought that it would be hard to beat the sheer intensity of Pi, I can quite happlily say that I was wrong. The direction was superb, as was the cinematography. Why Ellen Bursten did not receive the Oscar for Best Actress will remain a baffling mystery to all who see it - what a performance. Stunning. This is not a happy story, so be warned. This is not a film for a wet sunday afternoon.
Experience this for yourself, and find yourself thinking about it for the next week or so.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4