Profile for Dave S > Reviews

Content by Dave S

Dave S (Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
San Marcos Refried Beans 430 g (Pack of 6)
San Marcos Refried Beans 430 g (Pack of 6)

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very good, 13 Aug 2014
This is too smooth for my liking, and a bit lacking in taste compared to, for example, Old El Paso.

Nokia 301 Sim Free Mobile Phone - Black (discontinued by manufacturer)
Nokia 301 Sim Free Mobile Phone - Black (discontinued by manufacturer)
Offered by total digital stores

4.0 out of 5 stars Value for money and easy to use, 6 July 2014
Excellent, up to date replacement for earlier models. It's sturdy and worth the extra compared to the very cheap Nokia phones.I bought it for my wife to replace her C2, I think it was, and she finds it just as easy to use.

The Whitehall Mandarin
The Whitehall Mandarin

1.0 out of 5 stars I gave up, 6 July 2014
I found this very boring compared to the previous novels in the series. I just didn't care for any of the characters or what the outcome would be. And the author's constant practice of interrupting direct speech to report who has said it becomes very annoying. An example:

"But," said White, "we don't, at the moment ..."
...
"And," said Bone, "we'd need to ..."

It does make clear who is speaking, but so would a script for a play.

In the end I gave up, less than half way through.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 16, 2014 10:23 PM BST

Inside Enemy
Inside Enemy

3.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointing, 6 July 2014
This review is from: Inside Enemy (Kindle Edition)
I have to agree with Viking's review. This was very disappointing when compared to the author's previous books. And the references to Snowden and Wikileaks, which were supposedly mentioned during an interrogation that took place some years ago, are definitely out of date.

The promotion of Charles Thoroughgood to head of the re-formed MI6 does stretch credulity. You get the impression that the organisation only has about 5 employees and that Charles has little to do other than deal with the one problem that he's personally involved with.

After reading the only review on Amazon I tried to find other reviews and couldn't. The only reviews associated with the book are actually reviews of Alan Judd's earlier novels. This did make me doubtful about what to expect, but I purchased the book anyway on the basis that I'd enjoyed the previous novels in the series.

Despite its shortcomings I did enjoy it. It races along and I was keen to complete reading it. I feel however that the author has only made a half-hearted attempt compared to his earlier works. I hope future novels are much better.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Best coffee machine I've had, 2 May 2014
When I first unpacked this I thought the construction was a bit rickety - the way the footplate on which the jug rests fixes in, in particular. However, after a few weeks use, I can confirm that once it's assembled it all works robustly.

It heats the water to what appears to be the required high temperature, and the shower head does a very good job of distributing it evenly over the coffee grounds.

I've found a medium grind of 32 grams coffee to 15 fluid ounces (I know, mixed units!) makes enough coffee for two decent sized cups. I've noticed more flavour and no bitterness at all with any of the beans I've tried. The jug, with the clever piped lid, keeps the coffee hot enough for an hour at least, which is all I need.

It's much more expensive than other coffee makers but I'd definitely recommend it. It's a pity it can't be sourced directly in the UK but I found the supplier Fong to be quick and helpful. They also arranged for a missing rubber foot to be sent on, so I'm hopeful that there won't be any problems if I need spare parts in future.

The Digital Negative: Raw Image Processing in Lightroom, Camera Raw, and Photoshop

2.0 out of 5 stars Too autobiographical, 29 April 2014
There are some good tips in this book, but they're buried in among the author's name-dropping anecdotes. If these were excluded I think the book would be about a third of the size.

Handbag Gusti Genuine Leather Vintage Tote Shopping Bag Shoulder Bag Satchel Big Leisure City Bag Shopper Multicoloured Women M40

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 29 April 2014
Got this as a present for my wife and she's over the moon with it. Exactly as described and very well made.

AmazonBasics 3.0 A-Male to Micro B USB Cable (3 Feet / 0.9 Metres)
AmazonBasics 3.0 A-Male to Micro B USB Cable (3 Feet / 0.9 Metres)

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly, 29 April 2014
I wanted this for my Samsung tablet (the white cable supplied didn't go with the bedside furniture!). Great price and performance as expected. I'd recommend this.

Melitta Aroma Excellent Brushed Stainless Steel Thermal Filter Coffee Machine (Discontinued by Manufacturer)

4.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable coffee, disappointing in one respect, 29 April 2014
The coffee from this machine was good but not much better than from other machines I've used. Some reviews make a big thing of the shower head dispersing water evenly over the coffee in the filter, but the machine I got didn't do this very well resulting in the coffee at one side not being properly used. Perhaps if that mechanism worked properly the coffee would taste even better. If you get one, make sure it's spreading the water properly.

Emporio Armani Ladies Watch AR2038
Emporio Armani Ladies Watch AR2038

2.0 out of 5 stars Strap breaks after 2 years and no replacement available, 28 April 2014
The watch works and looked good. However, after 2 years of light use the leather strap came away from the metal shoulder attached to the watch. We took it to Earnest Jones to get a replacement and they phoned Emporio Armani who said that they no longer had any straps - basically, "tough". So after only 2 years there's nothing that can be done with it apart from fitting an ordinary strap which, because it doesn't fit round the watch face, leaves gaps.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5