ARRAY(0xac7b75e8)

The Selfish Capitalist: Origins of Affluenza
by Oliver James
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Who's laughing now ????, 26 April 2009
I read this book about 2 years ago ( 2007 ) when oliver James was on a visit to Sydney. The book got good coverage from the SMH then.
I am quite certain, as mentioned above, the happy few didn't like the description Mr James made of them.
However................Today is April 29th 2009 and I'd say he was right on the money wasn't he ?????
Buy the book by all means. At one stage or another, we've all suffered from affluenza and made very poor choices in life because of greed.
Mr James sounded like a party killer to some then, but who's laughing now ??
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 11, 2010 10:19 PM BST

State Of Play [DVD]
State Of Play [DVD]
Dvd ~ Russell Crowe
Offered by CP UK And Global LTD
Price: 2.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Can't beat the original, 26 April 2009
This review is from: State Of Play [DVD] (DVD)
I taped the original when it ran on french cable Tv ( in english for once ) and I'haven't stopped watching it over and over.
One thing that has to be said about this particular cast and british actors in general is that : THEY ARE BRILLANT.
Now about the movie :
The mere fact the action has been set in the US is pathetic. It had so much more flare in London.
How can one believe a 90 or 120 minutes long movie is going to cut it compared to a 340 minutes mini serie ??? It has to take short cuts very detrimental to the story.
I'm sorry such a talentfull actress like Helen Mirren got lost in this.
As to Russell Crow and Ben Affleck and I love Russell, sorry, can't beat John Simms and David Morrisset not to mention Billie Nighy, Kelly McDonald, James McAvoy.........etc and all the others fantastic actors.
I would recommend you buy the BBC serie and forget about this one.

The Forsyte Saga - Complete Series 1-7 Box Set [DVD] [1967]
The Forsyte Saga - Complete Series 1-7 Box Set [DVD] [1967]
Dvd ~ Eric Porter
Price: 17.45

5.0 out of 5 stars BY ALL MEANS GO FOR IT, 22 Sep 2008
I was sent to bed when the serie was shown in France in 1967, 10 years old at the time, but I amazingly remembered Kenneth More, Eric Porter and Nyree Dawn Porter faces. My mother was absolutly taken by the show and had no time for a kid.
Just last year, in Oslo, I walked into a news stand and found a very cheap print of the book. I bought it...........and let it rest until this summer on my coffee table. I finally took it while on a 10 days hike in the austrian alps and couldn't let go of the book. Primarly because I realized the Forsyte, although english, were just like my family !! Very chilling, but yet, there are heaps of french Forsytes, have a read at Emile Zoal or Balzac !!
I suddenly had to have the DVD. I finally went for the 1967 one and I'll never be sorry I did.
Black and white was in hinsight, a brilliant idea. Had it been in coulour, the make up would have been terrible. Don't forget most of the actors were in the 30's and had to be aged almost 50 years. Black and white allowed that.
I was amazed by the way it was filmed. One could believe it was very static, quite the contrary. The cameras never stop moving; think there were no portable cameras or steadycam then, but only very big " on stand video cameras.
The acting is just brillant but I'm sorry to say Nyree Dawn Porter'snperformance didn't really cut the mustard as far as I am concerned, still a very beautifull dame. All the other cast members are of the kind you would rarely or never find in France and elsewhere. I always had a soft spot for Kenneth More as a kid ans Eric Porter made me feel for poor Soames. Once you start watching you'll find it very hard to stop.........and we're talking 20 hours viewing. It's a bit like deciding to stop smoking........it's always the last one !!
You want to see some great english television, then buy the DVD. .................You'll thank me for it :)))
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 30, 2012 5:09 PM GMT

On Her Majesty's Secret Service
On Her Majesty's Secret Service
Price: 13.18

5.0 out of 5 stars Go for it, 7 Mar 2007
For me too, On her Majesty's Secret Service was the first James Bond I ever saw. I was 11 and I remember how much I wanted to be James Bond just to be with Diana Rigg ! What a beautifull talented woman !The Louis Amstrong song is undoubtly my favourite piece and everytime I am in Lisbon I walk by the jewlery shop where Bond and Tracy chose a ring. Very funny feeling. Think Louis Amstrong was at the end of his life, sick. production went to the US and the whole business was wrapped in 2 takes. Now that's talent !

Anyhow, this is in my view the best ever James Bond soundtrack just as the movie ( I am a big Sean Connery fan ) the best Bond ever. George Lazenby was far from being bad. Think of Roger Moore !!

When I think Brigitte Bardot or Catherine Deneuve were originally thought of for Tracy's part, sweat runs down my spine. None of those women can act !

They don't make music like this anymore and I cannnot understand why. Grab this piece of soundtrack anthology before it gets off the shelves. Close your eyes and you won't believe the flow of memories that come back :))

In This House of Brede [DVD] [1975] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
In This House of Brede [DVD] [1975] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Diana Rigg

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic acting, 2 Mar 2007
I understand the book is quite different from the movie and people who've read it seem to be very disapointed by the movie. I can understand that. Nevertheless this 1975 TV movie remains in my mind a classic. Being french and not having had the chance to see much of Dame Diana's work, I am kind of discovering her and how not be moved and taken by such good acting. What a truly beautifull woman !! . This goes by the way for the entire cast, most of them totally unbeknown to me and yet great british actors. Judy Bowker does a superb job bringing her naive and so refreshing beauty into this story. How not be touched by Sir Richard " Denis Quielly " losing the woman he loves to God.

All in all what amazed me, although I was very young when the movie came out, is how the world has changed, for the worse, in the last 30 years. No way in the world would you hear the kind of english spoken in this movie today.

I'm not a church goer, nor do I believe in anything but this movie doesn't require that you do. Thank God ( Woops ) there are people like these we can look up to in times of difficulty.