Profile for I. Guest > Reviews

Content by I. Guest

I. Guest "scallywagjazz" (Barnsley, South Yorkshire, England)

Dolle Straight Flight Timber One Piece Loft Ladder
Dolle Straight Flight Timber One Piece Loft Ladder
Offered by Loft Centre Products Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 5 Aug. 2015
An excellent sturdy ladder which was just what we wanted for the job.

Uttermost  Incredible
Uttermost Incredible

5.0 out of 5 stars Great band, great songs, disappointing production, 1 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Uttermost Incredible (Audio CD)
For your money you get every song that the American Breed ever released. This includes their entire output by the Knight Lites/Nightlights/Lite Nights from 1963-67, their four original albums from 1967-68, all twelve Acta and Paramount singles from1967-71 (including a couple of rare stereo mixes), a series of radio spots and advertisements, three songs from original sound tracks, their mini album 'Once Again' from their reformation in 1986, and a couple of rare and unreleased songs. You don't get one song, 'Rock with the Sox' from a 1995 compilation album.

How can you judge a band's complete output? If you like the American Breed then you will love this CD set. They were one of the originators of the 'Chicago Sound' from the mid to late 60s which led to the success of bands like Chicago and Blood Sweat & Tears in the 70s - so the set is full of pop gems supported by horns. Their biggest US (and only UK) hit 'Bend Me, Shape Me', features three times in mono, stereo and as an '86 re-recording.

So is there anything to gripe about? Well, yes there is. At over £30 the three disc set is a little pricey and the sixteen-page booklet is more than a little amateurish. Who are Tiger Happy Records? They really ought to look at Rev-Ola and Cherry Red Records if they want to know what a good retro set can look like.

And more importantly, how did the producers of this CD set settle on the running order? Their early output appears on disc three alongside of their 1986 album, 'Pumpkin, Powder, Scarlet and Green' is completely messed up by placing all four title tracks at the end of the album sequence, their post album songs from 1968 onwards appear on disc one before their latter two 1968 albums which appear on disc two.

Shall I go on? No, it's a great CD set and it really is all about the music when all is said and done, but it does niggle that having paid so much for the music the end product seems a little shoddy and the track sequencing seems to lack any rhyme or reason!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 30, 2015 10:32 AM GMT

CUSSONS MILD CREAM SOAP 4X100G
CUSSONS MILD CREAM SOAP 4X100G

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Soap in the World, 27 Feb. 2014
I don't know why but I don't seem to be able to buy this in supermarkets anymore. It's what it says on the packet - mild and creamy and has been a mainstay in my shower for years.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 10, 2015 8:57 PM GMT

The Association (Expanded Edition)
The Association (Expanded Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Greatest Album Ever Made, 9 Sept. 2013
Unlike Guy Incognito I bought this album in 1970, soon after its release. I replaced my first vinyl copy two years later because the original had completely worn out. I replaced my second vinyl copy two years later again, with a US import copy which included lyrics, band photos and a gatefold sleeve. I replaced my third vinyl copy with a very expensive (£30) Japanese import CD soon after I bought a CD player in the early 90s. I might just go and buy this version for the liner notes and rare photos (I have all the other bonus songs on other CDs).

If I could take only one album with me to a desert island it would be this one. If I could take only one song it would be 'What Were the Words'.

The Association might have been a great, mid-60s pop band but on this album they matured into a great band - period. Three years and three albums later they were all but finished. Their like will never come round again.

Christmas In Love / Always [Digital 45]
Christmas In Love / Always [Digital 45]

5.0 out of 5 stars About Time, 13 Dec. 2009
I bought this single years ago. Until now Christmas In Love has remained the only Firefall song that has missed out on the digital age. It really is about time that it saw the digital light of day, for me it remains one of the best Christmas songs of all time. Buy it, slap it on your ipod for the holidays and enjoy. And while you're about it look out for a couple of other country rock Christmas classics - Colorado Christmas by the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band and Christmas in Carolina by the Marshall Tucker Band.