Profile for RCUK > Reviews

Content by RCUK

RCUK

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Mpow® Running Sport Sweatproof Armband + Key Holder for iPhone 5/5S/5C/SE, iPod Touch 5, with Adjustable size, Safey design, Suitable for Biking, Hiking, Canoeing, Walking, Horseback Riding, Gardening, Golfing, Shopping, Rollerblading, Downhill & Nordic Skiing, Housework
Offered by Patox

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good product, 5 July 2015
I wore this in a 10k in the pouring rain. Kept my iPhone 5c perfectly dry and easy to use the phone through the plastic too. Very comfortable and an all round good product.

Heart Of Oak: Songs And Folksongs Of The British Isles

Thin Oak Finish Ready Made Picture Frame, 30 x 40 cm
Thin Oak Finish Ready Made Picture Frame, 30 x 40 cm
Offered by My Frame

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 18 Aug. 2014
The frames are fine, a little flimsy but what you expect for the excellent price!

Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi (Previous Generation - 5th)
Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi (Previous Generation - 5th)

3.0 out of 5 stars My second Kindle experience, 25 May 2014
Having had the Kindle keyboard for three years (purchased December 2010), I was really disappointed when it broke. It had served me well and it seemed impossible to fix. I ordered a new battery from eBay but unfortunately that didn't do the trick. I wasn't expecting a fairly basic piece of technology to give up after three years, so it's unfortunate that it didn't last longer.

However, after a few months Kindle-less, I realised I missed it a lot, and therefore bought the most basic one possible. It works fine but is slightly disadvantaged, in that the keyboard was a real bonus and the battery life on this is a lot shorter.

One last thing - when I first got my old Kindle, I was younger and had it linked up to my Dad's account. Now I'd prefer to create my own but this seems impossible without using all the books I bought on his account. There doesn't seem to be a way round this unfortunately. Worth bearing in mind.

Primo Levi: Rewriting the Holocaust (Troubador Italian Studies)
Primo Levi: Rewriting the Holocaust (Troubador Italian Studies)
by Lucie Benchouiha

3.0 out of 5 stars Would benefit from more depth, 25 Sept. 2013
Although this book is a good overview to Primo Levi and his work, I found it slightly disappointing; the author tends to start well but tail off before her theme has been properly explored, leaving the reader feeling frustrated. All in all, its failure lies in an attempt to cover too much material. This is OK if you want a general idea without any depth, but as the topics covered are quite specific, this seems unlikely.

The Cambridge Companion to Primo Levi (Cambridge Companions to Literature)
The Cambridge Companion to Primo Levi (Cambridge Companions to Literature)
by Robert S. C. Gordon

5.0 out of 5 stars Levi is not just portrayed as a 'Holocaust writer', 12 Sept. 2013
As always, this Cambridge Companion offers an unbiased and hugely informative range of essays. What I liked most was the emphasis on parts of Levi's writing which usually fades into the background, such as his science fiction for example. Levi was undoubtedly an important voice of the Holocaust and Auschwitz; however, he deserves to be remembered for so much more than that. I'd definitely recommend this book as a starting point for anyone studying Levi.

TRESemme Salon Professional 2066U Ceramic Styler 230 Hair Straightener
TRESemme Salon Professional 2066U Ceramic Styler 230 Hair Straightener

4.0 out of 5 stars good value for the price, 27 Aug. 2013
I bought these after my trusty Babyliss straighteners broke after just two years together. I don't think these are quite as good - I have really thick hair, and even on the highest setting, it takes ages to straighten - but for the price, you really can't complain.

The Divine Comedy of Dante Alighieri: Volume 1: Inferno (Divine Comedy of Dante Alighieri Reprint Series): Inferno Vol 1
by Dante Alighieri

5.0 out of 5 stars Great edition, 27 Jun. 2013
Probably the best translation/edit of the Inferno around. Recommended by my Italian professor and he wasn't wrong. This is definitely one to buy.

The Periodic Table (Penguin Modern Classics)
The Periodic Table (Penguin Modern Classics)
by Neal Ascherson

5.0 out of 5 stars Primo Levi is always a joy to read, 27 Jun. 2013
This is the second book I read after 'If this is a man' and 'The Truce' (and I would recommend reading them in that order). I love Levi's writing style - detached but not unemotional. This book is a somewhat strange mix - mostly autobiographical but with some fictional short stories in the middle - but you can't help but feel involved. I even started getting interested in Levi's work, which, given that I know nothing about chemistry whatsoever, can only be put down to his fantastic writing! The penultimate chapter where he accidentally comes into contact with a former chemist from Auschwitz is incredibly gripping. I can't wait to read more.

One Hundred English Folk Songs: For Medium Voice (Dover Song Collections)
One Hundred English Folk Songs: For Medium Voice (Dover Song Collections)
by Cecil J. Sharp

5.0 out of 5 stars Still as good now as ever, 29 April 2013
Lots of folksongs here which we still know today, and lots which we don't and deserve to be sung more! I love the arrangements that Cecil Sharp puts with them, though some people might say they're too complicated and over-the-top for such simple melodies. He writes a history of each song, as far as he knows it, which is really interesting, especially the for ones which are connected. Sometimes more than one version of each song is given.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3