Profile for Hero's Journey > Reviews

Hero's Journey

War God: Nights of the Witch
War God: Nights of the Witch
by Graham Hancock

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for the history fanatic, and an unrelenting page turner for the rest of us., 3 Jun. 2013
I have been following Hancock's work since he wrote Fingerprints of the Gods. For me, Fingerprints was akin to taking the "Red Pill", a la Matrix. It woke me up. Ever since, I have been following his research through books like Talisman, Sign and the Seal, and Supernatural. So, like many I suppose, I was slightly disappointed at first to learn that Mr. Hancock had ventured into fiction. Yet, given my interest in the Mayan and Aztec civilizations I gave it a shot and ordered War God. Boy, was I ever wrong. In short, I finished the book within 48 hours - a rarity for me. And, here I am, writing a review - another rarity.

War God is an epic piece of literature. The manner in which Hancock infuses fiction with fact is delicious. In my humble opinion, this is how some history books should be written. The magic that Hancock creates is in how he seamlessly manages to bring the reader into the very midst of the action in a way that the dry history book accounts of similar events are incapable of doing. I gained a deeper appreciation for Cortes' strategy to reach Mexico, the overwhelming odds that his team faced against the power and might of Moctezuma, and the politics between the various indigenous tribes. The fictional element of viewing history through the eyes of Tozi, the young teenage witch, Malinal, the courtesan, Pepillo, the young spanish orphan, Father Munoz, the Friar, Shikotenka, the warrior, and Alvarado, the talented swordsman - brings it all so incredibly alive. Hancock's detailed descriptions, imagery and conveyance of such varied emotions made me feel like I was an "observing" character in his book. This has the makings of a fantastic film.

This is more than a worthwhile read - it is a must. Kudos to you, Mr. Hancock. I want more!