Profile for David > Reviews

Content by David

David (Holmfirth, United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Chains of Blood and Steel: The Saga of Thistles and Roses (The Warrior Queen Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Roll your sleeves up and take a deep breath., 25 May 2016
I received a free digital copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
This story carries on from the last, and does a terrific job of it, with both the quality of writing and the story jumping up a gear. I’m really not a fan of large cast lists, and this book has one. They do my head in. But I’m hooked on the story now, so I just muddle on as best I can. I struggled with Game of Thrones, even though I enjoyed it, and I struggled again here, even though I enjoyed it again. If epic fantasy is your bag then you should consider my 4 stars to be worth 5 to you.
The story is character-driven, and concentrates on the sorts of problems and fears that "real" people have, as well as the way people cope (or not) with extreme events. That means, by necessity, parts of it are heavy going. That said, the over-all story arc more than made up for it with its rather stunning character development and the unfolding of a second story, which somehow became the main story while I wasn't looking.
There were some really great and memorable sequences in this book; some of which gave me leaky eyes. Being significantly longer than my usual choice, it was harder work than I’m used to, but worth it.

The Universe Is a Dream: The Secrets of Existence Revealed
The Universe Is a Dream: The Secrets of Existence Revealed

5.0 out of 5 stars Best guide for ACIM, 4 Aug. 2015
There is a lot of this book available on "look inside" I'd suggest you give that a try before you buy.
This is quite simply THE best guide to ACIM I've ever seen. If you don't know what ACIM is, then this is probably the best possible place to start.

Enya Large A4 Handmade Leather Journal , 100% Cotton Pages (22cm x 30cm)
Enya Large A4 Handmade Leather Journal , 100% Cotton Pages (22cm x 30cm)
Offered by CentralCrafts UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality, 4 Aug. 2015
Lovely quality. Bought as a gift for my son and he's made up with it. It feels special, just leafing through the pages. Highly recommended

Wacom Classic Pen for Intuos4/5
Wacom Classic Pen for Intuos4/5

5.0 out of 5 stars Feels like an actual pen!, 4 Aug. 2015
Absolutely blooming gorgeous! So much nicer than the thick version, this one has all teh pressure and angle sensitivity, but it doesn't feel like you're holding a jumbo crayon from nursery school

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars super slidey, 4 Aug. 2015
Less than half the price of the original but ten times easier to use. I think this cube cuts down solving time by about 25%

Write a Great Synopsis - An Expert Guide
Write a Great Synopsis - An Expert Guide

5.0 out of 5 stars Seems to work!, 4 Aug. 2015
Well, it's got me a request for a full, so it can't be that bad! I found this really useful.

For King and Country: The Saga of Thistles and Roses (The Warrior Queen Book 1)
For King and Country: The Saga of Thistles and Roses (The Warrior Queen Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Eat your heart out, Ripley., 4 Aug. 2015
Okay. Full disclosure: I'm not Scottish, and I'm not a woman. Even if I WAS a woman, I don't think I'd be a feisty woman.
So you could argue that this book isn't aimed at me, but, I do enjoy well-written adventure stories with plenty going on and good dialogue, so maybe I am the target audience after all.
I love the main character in this story. She's quite a rarity - head strong, willful, quick to mouth off and often does or says that wrong thing. It's a refreshing change to find somebody who is both likeable and fallable.
This book is set in the Scotland of the far future, which is a nice change because I can't think of many stories set in Scotland that aren't set in some dim and misty past. To be fair, the future looks quite dim and misty as well.
I enjoyed this, and to be honest, I didn't really expect to. It's a bit cosy in places, but there's more than enough action to keep it moving along, and by the end of this book it's plain that the pieces have been brought together for a decent scrap going forward.
More improtantly from my point of view, there's also enough going on in the background to make the world interesting. I'm already looking forward to the next book.

The Other Side of Here: A collection of short stories & poems
The Other Side of Here: A collection of short stories & poems

5.0 out of 5 stars loads of variety and plenty of interest, 31 May 2015
Massive variety of stories and themes- even a children's section. A great collection of tales and poems by somebody who obviously writes for the joy of it. Nice work! I'd love to see some of these stories further developed into novellas, please!

Sony Digital Noise Cancelling In-Ear Headphones with Built-In Microphone Compatible with Sony Devices with Digital Noise Cancellation - Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh., 24 Feb. 2015
A Sony Z3 costs about £450. It's a significant investment, but bought it because it supports noise cancelling. The reason for this is because I work as a writer in a noisy office and I wanted to be able to shut out background noise without having to play music to do so
I've had far worse noise cancelling headphones before, which cost a lot more. They were Pioneer SE-NC31C and I used them for about a day.
So, yes, I'll happily admit that these were a whole lot better for a third of the price.
But they still don't live up to the advertising claims. They reduce noise, but no more than most noise 'isolating' headphones. They sound good, but no better than a similarly priced set of Sennheisers.
And this is the trouble. When I spend £450 on a phone, I want to listen to what it can actually DO. I want to be able to save up and buy a pair of really GOOD earphones that cost more than a hundred quid. I want the choice to say, 'yes, these are okay, but I'd like to have something better.'
With all the technology and design that Sony spent on the Xperia Z3, they forgot one important fact:
Earphones that cost less than a round of drinks will only ever be okay.

10 Pounds in 10 Days: The Secret Celebrity Program for Losing Weight Fast
10 Pounds in 10 Days: The Secret Celebrity Program for Losing Weight Fast
by Jackie Warner

2.0 out of 5 stars A guidebook for the five percent., 13 Sept. 2014
Honestly, if you can work out like the exercises in this book, you won't NEED a book like this. Waste of time for anyone but the fittest and most committed gym addicts.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5