Profile for R. A. Cookson > Reviews

Content by R. A. Cookson

R. A. Cookson (Oxford, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Mens Escape Full Wetsuit Red Size MT
Mens Escape Full Wetsuit Red Size MT
Offered by Big Orange Watersports Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent wetsuit for prolonged river and sea activity in spring and autumn, 14 Sep 2014
Great suit. I swam a mile of the Thames in this yesterday. It was very comfortable, kept me beautifully warm (in September) and with complete freedom of movement for swimming. An excellent piece of kit.

Mens CIC Shortie wetsuit
Mens CIC Shortie wetsuit
Offered by Big Orange Watersports Ltd

2.0 out of 5 stars Uncomfortable fit and doesn't keep me warm, 14 Sep 2014
This review is from: Mens CIC Shortie wetsuit (Misc.)
I've worn my shorty twice in the sea (Cardigan Bay) and twice in a river (the Thames), in May and September. I was cold from the outset on every occasion, and the suit chafed my neck. I've just bought an Escape wetsuit of the same thickness and can't believe how much warmer it is and what a better fit. I wouldn't recommend this suit to anyone.

The Lighthouse
The Lighthouse
by P D James

1.0 out of 5 stars How very disappointing and poorly written, 14 Sep 2014
This review is from: The Lighthouse (Paperback)
I ploughed through 30 pages of the turgid, impenetrable prose before giving up. Absolutely dreadful writing. Avoid!

Into the Darkest Corner
Into the Darkest Corner
by Elizabeth Haynes

2.0 out of 5 stars A really rather horrible book, with few redeeming features, 30 Aug 2014
I read this book after seeing the numerous positive reviews online and, before that, hearing that it won the Amazon prize. The portrayal of woman recovering from severe trauma is compelling and well crafted. It's an impressive feat for a first novel. That said, I have two fundamental reservations about the book. One, it creates a vile space in which the reader is immersed for a long period of time. Two, there is no suspense. The actions of the book unfold exactly as you would expect them to. For me the book creates tension without suspense and discomfort which has no purpose. That adds up to a very unsatisfying and unsuccessful novel.

John Huston: Interviews (Conversations with Filmmakers)
John Huston: Interviews (Conversations with Filmmakers)
by John Huston

4.0 out of 5 stars Step into the mind of a great filmmaker, 14 July 2014
The tales can become repetitive (inevitable with a book of interviews), but Huston is always engaging and insightful. Well worth a read by anyone who loves The Maltese Falcon, The Man who would be King ... or just good cinema

Murder Underground (British Library Crime Classics)
Murder Underground (British Library Crime Classics)
by Mavis Doriel Hay

1.0 out of 5 stars Best off left in obscurity, 14 July 2014
What looks like a promising and exciting read turns out to be poorly written and difficult to follow. There is a reason that posterity consigned this title to the dustbin of history - and that's where it should stay. A shame, as the BLCC series is laudable (and I am enjoying the Cornish Coast Murder far more)

Apple ipad 2/3 Xtreme Stereo Speakers - Black(compatible with ipod touch, iPhone 4, Galaxy tab and many more)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, practical little speakers, 16 April 2013
These are excellent for round the house or travelling. Sound is fine - not what you'd want for party music, but fine for ordinary radio-style listening. Recharge by USB, so no batteries needed. A great buy.

Springback Binder A4 Portrait 1-150 pages Walnut Red
Springback Binder A4 Portrait 1-150 pages Walnut Red
Offered by Springback Binders Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars This is great - does exactly what I need!, 16 April 2013
The perfect container for my WIP document, which is currently c90 pages long. Very easy to add and remove material, and once in it is like reading a book.

Sennheiser MX685 Sports In-Ear Headphones
Sennheiser MX685 Sports In-Ear Headphones

1.0 out of 5 stars A frustrating step down from Sennheiser's usual standard, 16 April 2013
I do like Sennheiser headphones and have bought more than a dozen pairs before. These, however, are by far the worst and most frustrating. The new ear fitting system kind of works. It's less effective than the old model, but not terrible. The replaceable covers for the earpieces are the real problem. These endlessly fall off. I have had these headphones for five months now and the covers have fallen off c40 times. Because it happens so often, I am now looking for it and usually find the cover and retrieve it. Several times I have retraced my steps on a street and found the lost cover still on the floor where I took my headphones off. Despite this, I have to date lost four covers. I presume I will need to buy new headphones before year end because I will have run out of covers by then. Sound quality is ok, but nothing special. A cynic would say that the design team fixated on Adidas sponsorship for these headphones so much that they forgot to design a good product. Poor show, Sennheiser.

Twentieth Century
Twentieth Century
by Ken Ludwig

2.0 out of 5 stars Heavily reworked version of the Hecht and Macarthur play, 30 Dec 2011
This review is from: Twentieth Century (Paperback)
Ken Ludwig completely rewrote the Twentieth Century for his 2003 revival. 'Completely' is the operative word. Ludwig notes in his Preface: 'I'd say that at least 50% of the dialogue on the following pages is mine, including some entire scenes, while the other 50% is pure Hecht and MacArthur'. So if you want a gentle, pleasant read, this is fine. If you after Hecht and MacArthur's crisp, snappy writing, or you want to visualise the play as originally staged, keep scanning the shelves of the second hand bookshops for an original edition.

Page: 1 | 2