Profile for vic897 > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Gourmet Perle Seaside Duos Pouch 12 x 85 g, Pack of 4
Gourmet Perle Seaside Duos Pouch 12 x 85 g, Pack of 4

5.0 out of 5 stars For tempting a old lady, 25 April 2014
I only buy this for my old cat who doesn't always want to eat. My other cats like it too, if they get a special Saturday supper...

Encore Cat Tin Fish Multipack 8 x 70 g (Pack of 4, Total 32 Cans)
Encore Cat Tin Fish Multipack 8 x 70 g (Pack of 4, Total 32 Cans)

5.0 out of 5 stars Timbertwig's Special Food, 25 April 2014
I buy this for my ancient cat who is very fussy and she mostly eats it although not everyday. My other cats who I don't buy it for absolutely love it, but same as I told them: when they're as old as Tim they can get Tim food.

Strawberry Pet igloo bed / House 3 sizes and 3 colours to choose from (Small, Purple)
Offered by WorldTech(14-25 days deliver)

4.0 out of 5 stars Purple strawberry bed, 25 April 2014
Now I really like this bed, but the cats seem less keen. I might need to resite it. Willow had a go in it but came out as soon as I tried to take a pic. It's not as sturdy as it looks on the pic.

British Insects: A photographic guide to every common species (Collins Complete Guide)
by Michael Chinery

5.0 out of 5 stars I like this bug book, 29 Dec 2013
As a child I wanted an encyclopaedia on sharks but was given one on insects. I don't have that book anymore, it was a big old hardback and the pictures were all drawn. On the butterfly pictures the wings would be drawn and coloured in one top and one underside and I thought for a while there were actually butterfly's with different coloured wings- one fancy, one dull. I bought this book to replace that one. It's not covered in male and female symbols and doesn't have extensive info on caddis fly larvae but it is full of close up pictures of mini beasts. I got given a butterflies and moths book by a friend but it was generic round the world stuff. You can't beat a book full of back garden critters, uncomplicated by their overseas relations.
In the front of the book it tells you how to narrow the creature down to a portion of the book, through its body shape and short description, but for bug identifying on the move you can just flick through and find the caterpillars page.

British Wild Flowers: A photographic guide to every common species (Collins Complete Guide)
by Paul Sterry

4.0 out of 5 stars Weeds, 29 Dec 2013
I think this book is supposed to be a hikers handbook- to identify plants on the move for which I think it would be perfect. I bought it to identify things growing in my garden, partly because I had a lot of weeds when I first moved in and partly because I sometimes buy weeds under the term wild flowers to benefit or encourage wildlife. I've used this book quite a bit, and mostly successfully. It tells you how to use the book, and chops it into bits so you know where to go if the leaf is such and such shape without having to search through every page. In most cases a leaf is shown as well as the flower so it's possible to identify things before they get 3 metres tall and covered in flowers. Not in all cases though- I was recently thwarted trying to identify something that turned out to be a bog sage. It's a nice little book, and as it says, it's british wildflowers so the book isn't complicated by tonnes of things you won't find.

RHS Encyclopedia of Plants and Flowers
RHS Encyclopedia of Plants and Flowers
by Christopher Brickell

3.0 out of 5 stars I wanted to like it, 29 Dec 2013
This is a beast of a book, and there's tonnes of pictures but unfortunately it rarely helps me with anything I am querying. It's arranged in colours according to seasons of interest so I suppose you might flick through it as a coffee table book, or use it to (vaguely) identify plants you've seen out and about.
The trouble is there are so many varieties you can't get a specific answer and I don't always find it that easy to find things. Recently I was trying to identify the holly bushes in my garden - I've given up. It could tell me it was holly but only some varieties were pictured ( naturally or the book would be bigger than a house) so I came to a dead end. Another time I was looking up fire thorn to aid recognition from other similar shrubs but because they have different berry colours they are all on different pages. When I use this most is to get a general idea of a plant to which I only have the name; I.e if I have read about it but don't know what it is. Then I will get one or maybe varieties of it to give me a general idea. I am perhaps being a bit unfair on the book, since it can't be everything and still be a book. It's nice to own it and use as a reference, I suppose like a dictionary: on a rare occasion you might've really need it, but it is easy enough to use the rhs website too. You could also use it at planning stage in the garden, or to hunt down a particular variety of a plant, having seen its picture in the book.

The Bee Garden
The Bee Garden
by Maureen Little

4.0 out of 5 stars Bees, 29 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Bee Garden (Paperback)
This is in the middle tier of my favourite bee books.I would describe it as slightly more scientific than some of my others, although a scientist probably wouldn't. It's largely an index of useful plants with their benefits explained. I don't mind reading indexes, and if you have knowledge of the plants already that is helpful as there are not a great deal of pics. Towards the back of the book are plans of how to put the plants together in a border, but I didn't find that greatly helpful. If you are already a gardener, wanting to find out more beneficial plants, and are 'a reader' this is a suitable book. If you are not a gardener as such, but want to create a bee garden I wouldn't pick this book. I think it has attempted to aim at the new gardener with how to put borders together, but I would have preferred more pics as a new gardener, so I knew what the plants were.

How to Create a Wildlife Garden: Complete Instructions for Designing and Planting Wildlife Habitats, with Over 40 Practical Projects, a Directory of 70 Wildlife Species and 800 Photographs
by Christine Lavelle

5.0 out of 5 stars Become the worlds greatest gardener, 29 Dec 2013
I've got a lot of these wildlife garden and save the bees books and this is one of my favourites along with the rspb one of a similar name. It's a big hardback book, about a3 when opened. The first approx 2/3rd go into depth about how to's and wherefores, different habitats and the like and the last part is a photographed index of beneficial plants. It's written in a nice familiar way and is in depth in places, but not complicated or dull. I'm not sure where this book was first published but it is aimed at the English speaking area of the world as a whole; it mentions creatures that are not found in Britain and talks about zones which as a English gardener I tend not to relate to. That's one reason I prefer the rspb book.
It's a nice coffee table book, or read inside in winter when you wish you were gardening for wildlife. It would make a great gift too, but only if the recipient has expressed an interest already! Otherwise it's just a giant stack of obligation and hard work like that compost book I was given.

Chrome Ring Series Hard Case Cover For iPhone 4/4S including Free Screen Protector and Cloth - Red

5.0 out of 5 stars Red phone case, 29 Dec 2013
Everyone has their favourite kind of case don't they and this is mine. Hard, covers the back and the sides. It's a nice colour, the red, I embellished mine with a sticker of a blue beetle but you can do what you like with yours. Having dropped it as soon as I bought the new case I can tell you it seems to dent rather than break, almost as if the case is somehow malleable. I had it for months now- maybe a year and dropped it several times. I'd buy another and will do eventually I suppose.

New Apple iPad 2 iPad 3 iPad 3rd Generation & New iPad 4 4th Generation 2012 With Retina Display (ALL Model Versions) PURPLE Multi-Function Leather Case / Cover / Typing & Viewing Stand / Flip Case With Magnetic Sleep Sensor & Sunny Savers Screen Protector Shield Guard & iPad3 iPad4 Stylus Accessory Accessories Pack by InventCase®
Offered by Sunny Savers Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Purple case, 29 Dec 2013
I think it really is a kind of leather with a fuzzy suede inside. I've had it for months now and it's on my iPad as we speak. If I was going to gripe I would say I wish it was the other way round with the cut outs on the other side as the round button that you use for everything (home key? I don't know what it's called) is on the right when it's standing up and I like it on the left. Don't ask me why I just do. It also comes with a purple pen for tapping which I've never used and one of those plastic screen covers under which I've managed to trap something like a grass seed.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5